What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moneybags Watson & the Downtown Stadium

LeagueNut

First Grade
Please oh please make this happen...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11608655

Eric Watson offers to help fund downtown stadium project

Rich-lister Eric Watson has pledged to invest in a new stadium for downtown Auckland.

The Warriors owner last night confirmed he would help fund a stadium project, saying "I believe in the benefits for Auckland".

And Watson revealed he had already approached other potential investors.

"The conversations ... have very much been around the concept and a number of people I've spoken to believe it is a great idea and are very enthusiastic to learn more. Hopefully that will translate into financial support.

"I am very enthusiastic and interested in seeing a downtown stadium for Auckland, assuming the plan is solid both for the build, its location, appropriate seating capacity and for its economic viability, I will assist with my networks where possible."

Watson said it was too early to say how much he was prepared to put in, but he would be an investor.

Watson is urging Auckland to "make it happen", calling for a new 35,000-seat downtown venue in a Herald on Sunday column.

Meanwhile, Martin Snedden, the Rugby World Cup boss who fought for Eden Park to be the centrepiece of New Zealand's 2011 hosting and beyond, has done a dramatic u-turn, saying a new waterfront venue could "revitalise" the city.

The Herald on Sunday can reveal Auckland Council was approached last year by former America's Cup boss Stephen Barclay over private cash to build a new downtown stadium.

Barclay, a New Zealander who was director and chief executive of the 2013 America's Cup in San Francisco, spent 18 months "deeply involved" in a private investigation of Auckland's venues.

He dropped the project six months ago over a lack of "political interest" in a waterfront development. Barclay said he had had interest from two English Premier League clubs and a major American sports team in potential investment in the project.

He said Warriors owner Watson is shaping as a key player now because any concept hinges on a private investor - or a consortium backed by them - willing to stump up at least $100 million on a potential $300m 25,000-seat stadium.

The 2015 NBR Rich List estimated Watson's wealth at $500m.

"The catalyst is an investor, not the council, and the investor is always a sports team owner because they have access to resource and create the brand," Barclay said. "The Warriors are the obvious one. They want a new home and ... a potential new A-League team in Auckland would be looked upon favourably because it creates a local derby with the Wellington Phoenix. This is not a council-led thing, it's a private investment-led thing that the city decides whether to be part of.

"If Watson or potential A-League owners in Auckland want to sit at the centre of this and throw money at it, then from there it's very simple."

Minister of Sport Jonathan Coleman this week said a new venue could cost more than $1 billion. But Barclay says his 18-month probe produced much smaller costs.

"The numbers I heard, and I have no reason to believe these aren't correct, were about $300m for a 25,000-seat stadium and about $500-600m for 35,000 capacity," he said. "The successful formula is world proven, evenly split three ways across the investor, the deal for the land - usually the local council - and the rest is debt."

Brett O'Riley, chief of council entity Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (Ateed), was aware of Barclay and Watson's interest in the issue.

O'Riley said Barclay's model appeared financially sound and while no private business cases have been pitched, he said Ateed would welcome a backer with open arms. He was not surprised to learn of Watson's interest.

Snedden says a multi-purpose stadium, with a capacity between 25,000-30,000, would be the best option.

"I could always see the potential in the downtown idea but at the time the proposal was [light] on certainty and detail."

More than 16,000 readers took part in an online Herald poll, with 82 per cent of respondents in favour of a new stadium.

Next steps
1. Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development wants the stadium.
2. A private investor willing to pay around a third of the cost must be found.
3. A total budget of at least $300m must be found (for a 25,000-seat arena).
4. A decision is made on whether Eden Park stays, goes or is redeveloped.
5. Aucklanders show desire for a new stadium.

It's a catch 22 with bloody Eden Park though, if they only go with 25k - 30k seats for a new stadium then it probably won't be big enough to get rid of Eden Park, but if they go for a bigger stadium then they probably won't find enough money lying around.

I'll pitch in $20 if it helps :)

LeagueNut

First Grade
And here's Uncle Eric's thoughts.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11608652

Eric Watson: Build it and the Warriors will make it their home

Having travelled the world and attended sports matches and concerts at a number of outstanding stadiums around the world, there are a couple of shared aspects that make them a true success.

They are in the heart of the city, and their seating capacity is appropriate for its population.

Auckland is our largest city and in 99.9 per cent of the cases, the first touchpoint for people entering New Zealand.

It's time for Auckland to start to think, look and act as if it truly is an international city - but of course that requires vision and planning, something the city has been well short of.

However, this year Aucklanders have the chance to elect a mayor and councillors who can provide the type of visionary thinking this city needs, because it is a fantastic city, a beautiful city with so much potential for driving economic growth that will benefit the country.

It's important to have good people behind the concept of a downtown stadium and Warriors CEO Jim Doyle, Regional Facilities Auckland CEO Chris Brooks and mayoral candidate Phil Goff have indicated strongly that they are, which is great as this helps keep the debate top of mind.

However, this idea needs support and needs to be championed by media, tertiary institutions, businesses and the communities of Auckland, to become a reality.

While this would normally be a council initiative to set the vision of how something like this might work for the benefit of everyone, would it be a good idea to involve other interested people with skills, experience and expertise to contribute and to truly think laterally to get it right?

Constructing a downtown stadium needs to stack up financially and be commercially viable.

I can hear the knockers now - "it's a waste of money" and "the money should be spent on health and education".

However, building a 35,000-seat stadium in downtown Auckland that sells out regularly will generate revenue and growth for businesses. That translates into employment and a better standard of living for people, which means an improvement in people's health and education.

Just imagine the magic: you train or bus into town, go to one of the many eateries that are thriving across Wynyard Quarter, the Viaduct or Queens Wharf, then walk to the stadium and watch a Warriors game on a Friday night, perhaps a Blues game on the Saturday night, and potentially a concert on a Sunday night.

After the game you wander to a favourite bar to dissect the game with friends, or grab a train or bus home with the family. There are package deals that allow you to save money if you buy multiple tickets across a week or a month, and family concessions.

What would that do for Auckland and more importantly what would that do for its people?

While the Warriors have been assured their home will be Mt Smart until at least 2028, I give a guarantee that if a waterfront stadium was built before this that met NRL requirements, the Warriors Board would support an earlier move, making a waterfront stadium the new home of the Vodafone Warriors.

Let's be visionary and think about the city we want Auckland to be. Let's make it happen.

I like that bolded bit. He's definitely thinking long term here.

hitro

Juniors
I really like the idea of a purpose built middle size football stadium in town but why does it have to be on the waterfront? I think that's why it failed last time. It makes no sense to me to grow grass over water or go somewhere with a great view and turn your back on it. I reckon the best place is the old shunting yard next to Vector Arena. It would involve some demolition of the crappy strip malls and leaky apartments, but that would be a good thing.

JJ

Immortal
Stadium on the waterfront remains a f**kfard idea IMO. They look tired very quickly, the waterfront could be so special

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I really like the idea of a purpose built middle size football stadium in town but why does it have to be on the waterfront? I think that's why it failed last time. It makes no sense to me to grow grass over water or go somewhere with a great view and turn your back on it.

Yeah, having the best access possible in the central city should drive the location. Don't see the necessity of putting it on the waterfront and I imagine that would also mean entrance to parking (assuming the stadium would have a carpark/underground access) would be more restricted than if it was accessible from roadways from all sides.

Rich102

Staff member
It would be more feasible, I would have thought, if the Warriors were playing a lot better and the crowds were growing.

hitro

Juniors
An economical place to start would be buying the plans off Dunedin council and make one exactly the same as FBS

mikeob

Juniors
It would be more feasible, I would have thought, if the Warriors were playing a lot better and the crowds were growing.
That will happen it is just a matter of when. Then you'll get the casual fan plus the bandwagoners.

MKEB...

Staff member
Something like the caketin...central, great transport in and out, except get a catering company not trying to gouge every last dollar out of the patrons....

TheDalek079

Bench
they'll want to play ODI cricket there, right? so will have same mediocre too-far-away-from-the-action seats as Eden Park. Would it be worth moving away from Mt Smart for that?

Benek

Juniors
I was under the impression if they built this new stadium it would be a rectangle footy stadium. No way I'd support it if it was another Eden Park.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If the waterfront stadium happens the speedway to Mt Smart, Cricket to Western Springs reshuffle could be back on the table. Eden Park is still a fly in the ointment though.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
An economical place to start would be buying the plans off Dunedin council and make one exactly the same as FBS

No, Auckland doesn't need a permanently roofed stadium. Seating should be fully covered though. Retractable roof would be cool but probably to expensive.

Latest posts