What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More games will lost at suburban grounds

Da Doctor

Juniors
One answer is to privatise the club. Bruce Gordon would be the obvious candidate for a takeover, even a hostile one if necessary, to expel the board and create a financially stable club that can control its own destiny without reliance on the governing body.

At the moment we are very, very vulnerable.

Imagine the very real possibility of us, playing a home game at Parramatta stadium, against the Eels! What a disgrace!!!

Mr Red

First Grade
its hard enough to make the finals without giving up home ground advantages..

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Our fault. The idiots have missed two property booms during the last 10 years. That land (Sizzler site) near the leagues club should have been developed long ago.

Very sad indeed

Home ground advantage

Smaller grounds that are filled to capacity provide real atmosphere.

Larger grounds that are 1/4 to 1/3 full are as apetizing as flat beer

BLM01

First Grade
Very sad indeed

Home ground advantage

Smaller grounds that are filled to capacity provide real atmosphere.

Larger grounds that are 1/4 to 1/3 full are as apetizing as flat beer
mid strength flat beer at that especially in cattle class.

Emu01

Juniors
I sent an email to the NRL conplaing about losing more games to ANZ And Alliance

They replied with some bullshit about the right game for the right venue. I told them the fans want smaller venues with lots of atmosphere.

Surely Todd Greenburg must listen to us fans,the state government are playing hard ball with the NRL..

Here is the email address feedback@nrl.com.au tell them you want suburban grounds not half empty big stadiums..

If they don't listen I say we stage a rally we could get 10,000 people if we promote well enough who is keen?

Godz Illa

Coach
"St George Illawarra" in name only.

The club sold its home, its identity, its soul, for a few magic beans that will never sprout.

At least I can still read books about the club I used to follow.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
It gets worse.

Frank Facer planned to buy the entire Barton and surrounding lands arena (stgeorge soccer grounds out near Brighton) and put a new stgeorge stadium there. We were to buy the land from net assets and we would now be the proud owners of a major piece of property valued in excess of $1.5 billion. He had proposed commercial property and a hotel.

It would have set Saints up forever. It sadly never got through approvals during his lifetime and now we are left a rabble of a financial junk bond.

Very sad. How the mighty can fall when great leaders cannot be replaced.

Frank Facer was the best sports administrator anywhere in the globe and so far ahead of his time he makes Google seen obsolete.

Last edited:

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
It gets worse.

Frank Facer planned to buy the entire Barton and surrounding lands arena (stgeorge soccer grounds out near Brighton) and put a new stgeorge stadium there. We were to buy the land from net assets and we would now be the proud owners of a major piece of property valued in excess of $1.5 billion. He had proposed commercial property and a hotel.

It would have set Saints up forever. It sadly never got through approvals during his lifetime and now we are left a rabble of a financial junk bond.

Very sad. How the mighty can fall when great leaders cannot be replaced.

Frank Facer was the best sports administrator anywhere in the globe and so far ahead of his time he makes Google seen obsolete.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
From the article:
However, given the cash-strapped Dragons and Tigers rely on NRL funding to operate, it is believed the two joint-venture clubs, who currently play four matches each at the major venues, will be willing to co-operate to ensure the funding proposal isn't taken off the table.

So whose fault is that?

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I actually think the Dragons leagues club has "old Money" locked away probably in property. There's a reason why we keep hearing the mantra "the footy team needs to be financially independent of the leagues club" with the leagues club cutting back funding. Perhaps the Dragons side of the merger doesn't want to continue propping up the Illawarra side? And perhaps this is why we keep going to the NRL, hat in hand, for funding; "Pay up or we will demerge." This has implications with regards to broadcasting deals etc.

This is probably the case with Balmain/Wests merger, with one side having more money than the other. And I'm assuming this was also the case with Manly/Norths? Even considering the financial incentive given in the beginning, it's funny how the merged teams are struggling financially, while standalones, baring knights, are going fine, including the sharks.

Latest posts