What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More home games moved to ANZ stadium in 2009?

TheParraboy

Staff member
An article in the Telegraph today (sorry cant find link) says there is a dispute with the Parramatta trust which could force the eels to play more home matches at ANZ stadium in 09, The figure mentioned was 5 games to be moved.

Fitzy seems to be all in favour of the move, saying it could generate an extra 500k revenue.

If there is 5 in 09, thats almost half of our home games, whats to stop it being more in 2010 and beyond. Should eels supporters slowly concede most of our home base games will eventually not be out of Parra stadium in the near future?

Thoughts?

fish eel

Immortal
TheParraboy said:
An article in the Telegraph today (sorry cant find link) says there is a dispute with the Parramatta trust which could force the eels to play more home matches at ANZ stadium in 09, The figure mentioned was 5 games to be moved.

Fitzy seems to be all in favour of the move, saying it could generate an extra 500k revenue.

If there is 5 in 09, thats almost half of our home games, whats to stop it being more in 2010 and beyond. Should eels supporters slowly concede most of our home base games will eventually not be out of Parra stadium in the near future?

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I think a fulltime relocation is inevtiable.

I doubt it's a secret, I think a lot of people suspect it and I wonder if that is the reason we have seen no movement on the stadium upgrade....why upgrade it when the only real tennant has their eye elsewhere?

strider

Post Whore
so - in a few years time when half the sydney teams are playing out of ANZ and hence ANZ has cornered the market - are they then gonna not give everyone such a "good deal" like they are now doing to attract everyone? - are we then gonna have to move away from ANZ?

COACH STERLING

Juniors
I can see a merger coming up.

First relocate, then merge. I know i'm jumping the gun a little, but that's the gut feel.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
strider said:
so - in a few years time when half the sydney teams are playing out of ANZ and hence ANZ has cornered the market - are they then gonna not give everyone such a "good deal" like they are now doing to attract everyone? - are we then gonna have to move away from ANZ?

Back to Parramatta - which I dare say wouldn't have a sufficient capacity to hold Eels crowds by that time (provided the membership drive the NRL is undertaking reaps some sort of success).

spiderdan

Bench
it wouldn't surprise me if we did move there permanently in the not too distatnt future. same for severeal other clubs. i can see a similar arrangement happenening in the nrl as there is with the afl where most melbourne teams share their home games between the mcg and the dome.

if it gets us more $$$ then it's a good idea. given that we shouldn't be relying on leagues club grants (with the changes to slot machine taxes and smoking laws introduced over recent years cutting that revenue stream) then i think a permanent move should happen.

a merge will happen in the future no doubt about it, but the question is with who?
the Bulldogs? Panthers? they are the only 2 that we could join.
I would be pretty upset if we had to considering souths got forced out in '99 when they had better average home crowds than the Roosters and had the same game day facilities.
Only than to have a court overturn the decision and let them back in when St George, Illawarra, Western Suburbs, Balmain, Manly and North Sydney were basically forced to merge.
It's all a ego thing between the AFL and NRL, who cares if the AFL put a team at Blacktown? If people don't join the club or go to the games they won't last long and if they do then the AFL made a good choice for their market. All this talk of having to have teams in Adeiade and Perth or another team in Melbourne is just to hit back at the AFL. What is the point of expanding into other markets that don't have the customers to support the sport? The ARL tried that in the '90's and it didn't work then and won't work now.
The only way it would work would be it the NRL kept the club afloat for say 10years to get them on their feet simliar to what the AFL did with Sydney and Brisbane.
But the NRL don't have a bottomless pit of money like the AFL does due to underselling themsleves in the TV rights market.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
parra-matters said:
a merge will happen in the future no doubt about it, but the question is with who?
the Bulldogs? Panthers? they are the only 2 that we could join.
I would be pretty upset if we had to considering souths got forced out in '99 when they had better average home crowds than the Roosters and had the same game day facilities.
Only than to have a court overturn the decision and let them back in when St George, Illawarra, Western Suburbs, Balmain, Manly and North Sydney were basically forced to merge.
It's all a ego thing between the AFL and NRL, who cares if the AFL put a team at Blacktown? If people don't join the club or go to the games they won't last long and if they do then the AFL made a good choice for their market. All this talk of having to have teams in Adeiade and Perth or another team in Melbourne is just to hit back at the AFL. What is the point of expanding into other markets that don't have the customers to support the sport? The ARL tried that in the '90's and it didn't work then and won't work now.
The only way it would work would be it the NRL kept the club afloat for say 10years to get them on their feet simliar to what the AFL did with Sydney and Brisbane.
But the NRL don't have a bottomless pit of money like the AFL does due to underselling themsleves in the TV rights market.

It worked out well for souths.
I would rather sit out 3-4 years than have to merge with some like the dogs and be called the western bulldogs. If that ever happens, I'll start doing something else in my spare time.

TheParraboy

Staff member
spiderdan said:
it wouldn't surprise me if we did move there permanently in the not too distatnt future. .

Its gonna feel weird, no mick cronin stand, no ken thornett stand etc....:(

If we do move away from parra stadium, are they gonna change the naming of those stands , particularly if another sport uses the ground as its home ground long term :crazy:

COACH STERLING said:
It worked out well for souths.
I would rather sit out 3-4 years than have to merge with some like the dogs and be called the western bulldogs. If that ever happens, I'll start doing something else in my spare time.
While it did end up being better for souths the fact remains that that system was a joke, both Penrith and The Roosters were ranked lower than Souths yet it was them that got the boot, who is to say that something similar won't happen in the future? There are too many clubs in Sydney so they are saying? when we had the NSWRL in the '80's the game was never better, it all started to go downhill when Brisbane and Gold Coast joined and got worse in '95 when the Cowboys, Warriors, Reds and Crushers were added.
There should be a NSW and Qld comp, the top 4 from each comp play a super series and finals, bugger the rest of Australia the league is strong in NSW and Qld so use that as the base. Melbourne are pulling the majority of their players from Qld anyway, it's not like that a massive junior base and heaps of locals in their squad.

benoir91

Juniors
what confuses me is why parra would spend money on a new southern grandstand and then relocate to tesltra

Stagger eel

Staff member
benoir91 said:
what confuses me is why parra would spend money on a new southern grandstand and then relocate to tesltra

the money for the supposed new southern stand will be coming in a form of government grants from the state [promised] and federal [not promised as yet] government and not from the club and the trust themselves.

tbh, i can't see it happening.

Stagger eel

Staff member
the simple fact of the matter is that we're not getting a great deal from the stadium trust infact we're paying the trust for the privlidge of using it and in some cases we've lost money after a couple of home games last season. On the other hand there's a fair chance the the 2 games that we'll be playing at ANZ stadium are probably worth more than what we'll get after playing 10 games at home.

this is the sad reality in life and a permanant move will as a supporter upset me greatly however if we're continued to be f**ked around by the ST financially then maybe we should bite the bullet and take a half a dozen games there just to shoiw them that they need us more then what they care to imagine.

fish eel

Immortal
Stagger eel said:
the money for the supposed new southern stand will be coming in a form of government grants from the state [promised] and federal [not promised as yet] government and not from the club and the trust themselves.

tbh, i can't see it happening.

and in the fair dinkum department, of we are shifting games to ANZ, whether it be two, three or five, why should it happen?

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
and in the fair dinkum department, of we are shifting games to ANZ, whether it be two, three or five, why should it happen?

in an ideal world fish the club would look at other ways to increase it's revenue however this is a great money spinner and easy dosh in the bank. and maybe the ST needs to be taught a lesson in the value of it's main tenant.

Suitman

Post Whore
Surely the Trust would be desperate to keep us there - we are their only major tennant?
Surely they'll come up with a better deal, otherwise the place just becomes a ghost town?

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
Surely the Trust would be desperate to keep us there - we are their only major tennant?
Surely they'll come up with a better deal, otherwise the place just becomes a ghost town?

Suity

you'd think so wouldn't you...

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:

Suity

If Parramatta leave, or turn it into a part time stadium, it will be a relic, no doubt about that.

The only other feasible tennant for the ground would be a western sydney a-league side, but that would be some years off and no guarantee it plays out of parra

I wonder what the council thinks of all this as well. I'd be interested to know whether an economic study has been done in terms of how much money having an NRL team plays in Parramatta injects into the local economy here, ie pubs, cafes etc.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
If they don't, they are bigger fools than I already think they are.

Suity

yes...and the 2 guarenteed games in the next 5 years at ANZ should be enough to scare the sh*t out of them, I would of thought.