What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More home games moved to ANZ stadium in 2009?

sportive cupid

Referee
Tyler Durden said:
really ?
lets just pretend we had this wonderful thingy called the internet and this forum around 1978...pick your whinge...

we must keep cumberland oval. it's a lovely surburban ground, full of our tradition and our history. all those memories of ken thornett, brian hambly, ron lynch. those great games against newtown and western suburbs and balmain. mick cronin toe-poking leather footys off mounds of sand.

cumberland oval is parramatta. we don't need to rip it down and build this new fandangled big monstrosity called the parramatta stadium. it's way too big. it will look so empty unless we can get at least 15,000 people there to watch the game. all the extra traffic around parramatta due to this new stadium is a joke. and we will lose our spot on the hill where we could stand with our mates and drink beer and watch the footy like it was meant to be watched. sit in the grandstand and you will be so far up in the sky and away from all the action. you will have to buy a numbered seat, so you have to sit in one spot all day, away from all your mates. ridiculous.

and what about those ugly light towers that are going to be built around the ground. what a complete waste. we play footy on sunday arvo. anybody would think that we are planning to play most of our games at night.

so where will we play when we are building this stupid parra stadium ? belmore ? are you kidding? move in and share a ground with the canterbury bulldogs ? i don't think so. we will never win a premiership if we give up our home ground advantage.

no. cumberland oval is our home for all these years and it has served us very well. shove parra stadium up the arse where it came from because we don't want it.

we don't like progress so we must stay as we are and not move with the times.

Sorry Tyler but I was around then,and I have to agree with Fishy to an extent. Parra Stadium was enthusiastically supported by us then.So much so that we even burnt down the existing grandstand to assist the rebuild(of course it didnt end up as assistance but rather hinderance but that is another story)

We werent all that happy about moving in with the Bulldogs but we knew we had been naughty little people when we burn down the grand stand so pretty much accepted it.

fish eel

Immortal
sportive cupid said:
Sorry Tyler but I was around then,and I have to agree with Fishy to an extent. Parra Stadium was enthusiastically supported by us then.So much so that we even burnt down the existing grandstand to assist the rebuild(of course it didnt end up as assistance but rather hinderance but that is another story)

enoughy of this 'we' when it comes to burning it down.

You might have been there, still full of rage from november 1974, but I wasnt.

fish eel said:
The state's return?

Electoral. Given they made a promise to pump money into last year.

I wonder if any of that money will be in the budget?

Wasn't it Provisional on the Federal Budget as well? Then they were after Private Investors.

I have said it before and I will say it again. If the Government Didn't bring in this Pokie Tax. Parramatta Stadium would have 2 new End Grandstands By 2010. Now it most probably wont even happen by 2020.

sportive cupid

Referee
Noooo Fishy.I mean WE as in the real,long term Parra supporters such as Suity Twizz and the likes.:cool:

(oh and the ragewas more in 75';-) )

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Wasn't it Provisional on the Federal Budget as well? Then they were after Private Investors.

The announcement was contingent on 3 part funding, yes.

However, neither federal party made any committment on it. And the club was mute during the campaign. And now, you've got buckley's of the new govt making a new committment. They'll only, and rightly so, fund what they said they would.

Bottom line, IMO is that the state made a promise and they should be pressured to fullfil that promise. The very least they should do is cough up with their share that they announced. And with the financial bonanza they will reap with the power sale, they will be in a position to really meet their committments.

I have said it before and I will say it again. If the Government Didn't bring in this Pokie Tax. Parramatta Stadium would have 2 new End Grandstands By 2010. Now it most probably wont even happen by 2020.

I know you've said that a few times, but it's very easy to say in hindsight the club would have upgraded the grandstands. Whether they actually would have or not, we wont know.

Parra

Referee
One thing in Parramattas favour, and it is a big thing that should be exploited, is that it is a marginal seat in both State & Federal politics.

I would rather see government funds spent on building/upgrading a public asset than on the events themselves. Infrastructure spending is good, recurrent spending that sees cash vanish into thin air is not.

An analogy would be the rta tunnels/motorways fiasco that this state is in. Spending to build the infrastructure was necessary and good. Spending to prop up the operators (income guarantees etc) is a terrible waste of our money.

Parra

Referee
I was around in 81 and I remember Cumberland Oval. I don't recall that anyone opposed tearing the place down at all.

But I don't recall the rage from 75.

carson

Juniors
sportive cupid said:

We werent all that happy about moving in with the Bulldogs but we knew we had been naughty little people when we burn down the grand stand so pretty much accepted it.

Maybe you should have burnt down the surrounding parklands as well back in 81. That way they could have built the stadium as it was originally planned without any opposition and we probably wouldn't be having this argument.

(Damn greenies!!)

sportive cupid

Referee
Noooooooooo
(I am- and was - a lefty greenie!) Just ask anyone ;-)

Plus it would have spoilt the backdrop of hundreds of Wedding photos since hahaha

fish eel

Immortal
carson said:
Maybe you should have burnt down the surrounding parklands as well back in 81. That way they could have built the stadium as it was originally planned without any opposition and we probably wouldn't be having this argument.

(Damn greenies!!)

If only Frank Sartor was in state government back then hey? He'd have just asked 'where do i sign?'

carson

Juniors
sportive cupid said:
lol,sadly we only had Nifty Nev

Did you ever notice with nifty nev that if you put a little mo on him how much he looked like hitler?

and the similarities didn't end there!!

fish eel

Immortal
carson said:
Did you ever notice with nifty nev that if you put a little mo on him how much he looked like hitler?

you're on thin ice, bucko.

sportive cupid

Referee
carson said:

:lol:yes,Nev was a leftie -just like Adolph

(oh think that is in the wrong forum,but I think he might still look in here;-))