What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More home games moved to ANZ stadium in 2009?

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
If Parramatta leave, or turn it into a part time stadium, it will be a relic, no doubt about that.

The only other feasible tennant for the ground would be a western sydney a-league side, but that would be some years off and no guarantee it plays out of parra

I wonder what the council thinks of all this as well. I'd be interested to know whether an economic study has been done in terms of how much money having an NRL team plays in Parramatta injects into the local economy here, ie pubs, cafes etc.

Well I know I contribute plenty to a local pub during the footy season. :cool:

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Stagger eel said:
yes...and the 2 guarenteed games in the next 5 years at ANZ should be enough to scare the sh*t out of them, I would of thought.

It's quite obvious really.

Do they not care because they are public servants and it ain't their money going down the drain??

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
If Parramatta leave, or turn it into a part time stadium, it will be a relic, no doubt about that.

The only other feasible tennant for the ground would be a western sydney a-league side, but that would be some years off and no guarantee it plays out of parra

I wonder what the council thinks of all this as well. I'd be interested to know whether an economic study has been done in terms of how much money having an NRL team plays in Parramatta injects into the local economy here, ie pubs, cafes etc.

tbh would it make a hell of alot of difference??? I think the big winners in all this could be state rail.

fish eel

Immortal
the thing is, seems we have hung our future at parra on the stadium upgrade.

but then to move 2 games to homebush sends a message to bean counters that we may not stick around.....so gives them an out not to meet their promise.

And related to that, the whole stature debacle, I really think we missed a chance there to leverage the idea the new stand would be named after pricey to pressue the govt to meet their promise.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Suitman said:
Surely the Trust would be desperate to keep us there - we are their only major tennant?
Surely they'll come up with a better deal, otherwise the place just becomes a ghost town?

Suity
Maybe the govt will knock it down and build commercial buildings. Most of parra seems destined that way anyway.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
fish eel said:
and in the fair dinkum department, of we are shifting games to ANZ, whether it be two, three or five, why should it happen?

now how to explain to the fish....ok got it...

because this f****** incompetent labor government decided to bring in a poker machine tax and then back it up with the smoking ban.

the leagues club now has to donate the money back to iemma and joe tripodi, michael costs and all their mates so they can spend it on a desalination plant that we really do not need, or to just blow millions on t-card systems and stuff it up royally.

before, the leagues club, even though they got gambling money, would give something back to the community by subsidising the footy team.
labor government is now raking all that money in, and we're still wondering what in the world we are getting back

Parra

Referee
Where does the money that the Olympic Stadium throws around come from?

They are that liberal with it that it must be public funds. $500K to Parra + more (much more) to Saints, Wests and Souths & Canterbury.

Seems to be magic guaranteed money, that is not dependent on crowds - just the number of fixtures.

Something is not right.

fish eel

Immortal
Tyler Durden said:

because this f****** incompetent labor government decided to bring in a poker machine tax and then back it up with the smoking ban.

the leagues club now has to donate the money back to iemma and joe tripodi, michael costs and all their mates so they can spend it on a desalination plant that we really do not need, or to just blow millions on t-card systems and stuff it up royally.

before, the leagues club, even though they got gambling money, would give something back to the community by subsidising the footy team.
labor government is now raking all that money in, and we're still wondering what in the world we are getting back

nice try but you'll need better bait than that. MITS does it better. ;-)

None of that answered my point, which is, why should any government, be it state or federal, put money into a stadium upgrade when the major and only real tennant is giving signals they may shift more games to another venue?

You'd be pumping money into a part time stadium

Stagger eel

Staff member
Tyler Durden said:

ouch! :lol:

the irony is that the state government themselves are basicaly the landlord to Parra stadium which makes this whole thing even more interesting.

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:

None of that answered my point, which is, why should any government, be it state or federal, put money into a stadium upgrade when the major and only real tennant is giving signals they may shift more games to another venue?

Puts second packet of popcorn in microwave......

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:

mate, we're still waiting for the federal governenment to give us a "wink and a nod" and until that happens, you can't blame them for exploring other options.

fish eel

Immortal
Stagger eel said:
mate, we're still waiting for the federal governenment to give us a "wink and a nod" and until that happens, you can't blame them for exploring other options.

I think the decision to shift to ANZ was made prior to the election, wasnt it?

In any case, neither federal party made a committment on the stadium, whoever won, had no real obligation to come up with the funding.

In any case, my recollection of it is that it was three way funding proposal, wasn't it? And the upgrade's are much more than the grandstands as we know.

Why aren't we pressuring the state to come up with their money now to atleast start? As I said, we missed an opportunity to leaver the statue issue to pressure the state, and we were mute during the federal campaign when we should have been publicly banging on both parties doors to give us some money.

WA Eel

Juniors
This "ANZ Stadium" thing is one of my pet hates - the way we change the names of stadiums every few years in Oz. As far as I'm concerned, ANZ Stadium is the Bronco's home ground up in Brisbane and not in Sydney. I can't see why we can't retain the stadium name and simply add in the sponsors name with it - eg. if say Commonwealth Bank wanted to sponsor Parra Stadium, we call it The Commonweath Bank Parramatta Stadium, rathen than just start calling it The Commonwealth Bank Stadium. I think by renaming the stadiums all the time, while they remain the same location, you just lose a bit of history and tradition each time.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day.

Suitman

Post Whore
WA Eel said:
This "ANZ Stadium" thing is one of my pet hates - the way we change the names of stadiums every few years in Oz. As far as I'm concerned, ANZ Stadium is the Bronco's home ground up in Brisbane and not in Sydney. I can't see why we can't retain the stadium name and simply add in the sponsors name with it - eg. if say Commonwealth Bank wanted to sponsor Parra Stadium, we call it The Commonweath Bank Parramatta Stadium, rathen than just start calling it The Commonwealth Bank Stadium. I think by renaming the stadiums all the time, while they remain the same location, you just lose a bit of history and tradition each time.

It's funny, or hopeful, that you use Parramatta Stadium as an example.
No sponser has ever wanted a bar of that idea, and it's quite obvious why.
I agree with your point though.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
WA Eel said:

Actually, the stadium trust have tried previously to 'sell' stadium naming rights, and for whatever reason, couldnt do it.

Pretty ordinary when you think that paddock at penrith was able to do it.

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
Actually, the stadium trust have tried previously to 'sell' stadium naming rights, and for whatever reason, couldnt do it.

Pretty ordinary when you think that paddock at penrith was able to do it.

Also the squalid, stinking marsh at Cronulla.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Angry_eel said:
Maybe the govt will knock it down and build commercial buildings. Most of parra seems destined that way anyway.

I hope Frank Sartor doesnt read this forum, he might start getting ideas

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:

And, no doubt, he would waive local authority approval and approve it himself.

Suity

Angry_eel

First Grade
fish eel said:

I think it will happen anyway. Parramatta is becoming more and more like the city. Its good for the growth of Western Suburbs but all the icon around the area will have to go.

Can i ask a question though. Why are we asking for an upgrade when we can't even fill Parra stadium as it is. Or why are we going to Homebush when we can't fill Parra