What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Melbourne stadium jitters

meltiger

First Grade
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
They're hardly wankers for wanting to protect their investment through the terms of their agreement with the government.

Spot on. Bit of a silly comment of Les's behalf.

The 'wankers' are the ones who signed the agreement in the first place - Kennett/Bracks (Although given the article specified 'early planning phase' i'd suggest Kennett's government agreed to it not Bracks)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surprised you disliked it so much. Was there for the test match and, admittedly there was 30,000 in, I thought it was a great stadium, especially with the roof closed. I can see with less than 10,000 in how it would feel very empty but surely the aim is to get more people there and generate more atmosphere?

Apart from the emptyness was there anything else about it you didn't like? OP looks a dump in comparison.

cyberdj

Juniors
Too far away from the field of play at TD, and the loss of atmosphere are the biggest issues in my opinion. With a decent crowd, the atmosphere could improve, but will still be too far away from the field of play. Even when TD hosted a number of Union World Cup matches they didn't allow the stands to be adjusted for the rectangular field. It ain't going to happen for Storm home matches.

Couldn't care less how OP looks, the facilities aren't that bad considering it's age. The atmosphere is great... and I think the undersized ground gives us an advantage at home.

meltiger

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Was there for the test match

Grandstands were brought in. The test actually had a similar atmosphere to the SOO game and that game had 20k more people there.

Perth Red said:
I thought it was a great stadium, especially with the roof closed.

Oh I agree 100% - It is the equal of Telstra Stadium, MCG & Lang Park in terms of facilities, the only reason you don't classify it up with those stadiums is capacity.

Perth Red said:
Apart from the emptyness was there anything else about it you didn't like? OP looks a dump in comparison.

The ovalness is the main issue. Not only are you a long way away from the action, it also has a flow on effect to the atmosphere. The atmosphere in there with 15,000 is bad enough, but it's worse when the crowd feels like it's not really a part of the game. A problem we don't have at Olympic Park.

Unfortunately, with the current owners C7 being distinctly pro-AFL & future ownership falling to the AFL - The Storm will never be allowed to bring the grandstands in during the AFL season.

For this reason, TD should never again be looked at as a perm option for the Storm. I love TD for Richmond's smaller generating games, but Aussie Riles is an oval sport and suited to the design of TD. RL is not.

The new stadium is what we need. & if we don't get it, then we forfeit our right to claim our city being the home of sport in Australia.

LESStar58

Referee
Here's a bit of better news (quote from Bracks at the end).

Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21137931-2862,00.html

Demons kick up over Victory delay
Ellen Whinnett, state politics reporter

January 30, 2007 12:00am

THE Melbourne Demons have fired a salvo at the Victory soccer club in a row that has erupted over building a $190 million rectangular stadium.

The Melbourne Victory continues to hold out for a larger stadium, saying the 20,000-seat arena it agreed to 18 months ago would now be too small. Melbourne chief executive Steve Harris joined calls by the Melbourne Storm rugby league club for a resolution of the dispute, saying the delays were becoming untenable.

The Storm, Victory and Demons will be co-tenants if the stadium goes ahead at Olympic Park, but planning has been thrown into disarray by Victory's refusal to sign up. The fledgling A-league team is confident it can continue to attract crowds of up to 30,000.

"The Melbourne Football Club was the first of the codes to sign the memorandum of understanding," Mr Harris said. "We, who've been around 150 years, then Storm, who have been around for 10 years, have in effect been messed around by the negotiating position or changing demands of the Melbourne Victory, who have in effect been around for five minutes."

He said the Demons would now be unable to move into the new, purpose-built stadium in time to celebrate their 150-year anniversary in 2008, and that the stadium, if it went ahead, would not be completed until 2009 or even 2010.

The Melbourne team is now based at Junction Oval, while its administrative arm works from the MCG.

Mr Harris said his club was very keen to bring both operations together at a new, state-of-the-art stadium.

"Clearly if the Melbourne Victory decides not to hold its feeder games there, the economics of the stadium would need to be reviewed," he said.

Premier Steve Bracks yesterday pledged to resolve the deadlock soon.

"We are committed to it," he said of the rectangular stadium, which is purpose-designed for soccer and rugby games. "It is going ahead."

Never have truer words been spoken by the Demons boss. Obviously an AFL sponsored attempt to derail soccer in Australia but effective none the less.

The Victory, in my opinion, aren't exactly in a position to start battering on a bigger stadium based on ONE good season.

LESStar58 said:

Never have truer words been spoken by the Demons boss. Obviously an AFL sponsored attempt to derail soccer in Australia but effective none the less.

The Victory, in my opinion, aren't exactly in a position to start battering on a bigger stadium based on ONE good season.

the interesting thing is that within 5-10 years there will be two A-League teams in melbourne anyway , so having the two stadiums will still be a good thing.

magpie_man

Juniors
LESStar58 said:

word. they should accept the 20k capacity stadium being offered and use the smaller capacity as an incentive to drive fan memberships. then play the odd 'big game' (eg, against Sydney or Adelaide) at TD.

Ice777

Bench
While i'm loathe to take a politician at his word it looks as though the Stadium will be going ahead with or without the Victory as a tenant as reprted in todays Herald Sun. If this is the case then i say f**k the Victory off and start building it ASAP. It's an absolute moral they'll come crawling back after their success dries up as well as their supporters and find the Telstra Dome no longer financially viable. Pesonally i hope they don't sign up for the new stadium.

Bracks firm on stadium plan

Ellen Whinnett, state politics reporter
January 31, 2007 12:00am

MELBOURNE will get its new hi-tech soccer and rugby league stadium, regardless of whether Melbourne Victory signs up as a tenant.

Premier Steve Bracks said yesterday the $190 million rectangular stadium would go ahead, even if Victory decides to move to Telstra Dome. In a firm warning to A-League soccer team Victory, Mr Bracks urged the fledgling team to sign up, saying the purpose-built stadium would be going ahead. "We want them in but we also want to make sure the stadium goes ahead and whatever, I can say, the stadium will go ahead," he said.

Asked if he would build the stadium with or without Victory, Mr Bracks said: "Our preference is to have them because that makes it much better in the future, but we're committed to going ahead." The Government promised 18 months ago to build the spectacular new stadium at Olympic Park as a home for Victory, Melbourne Storm rugby league team and the Demons AFL team.

All three codes agreed, but Victory now refuses to sign, saying it regularly attracts crowds of 30,000 and the stadium would be too small. The stand-off has caused months of delays and the final design is still unknown. The Government is thought to be leaning towards a compromise plan for a stadium with 27,500 seats -- an offer Victory rejects. Victory, which would not comment to the Herald Sun other than to say negotiations were continuing, is being wooed by cross-town rivals Telstra Dome, which can hold 50,000 spectators.

Asked what Victory's demands were, Mr Bracks said: "We don't quite know yet. We are in negotiations with them and we are urging them to agree to and support what they originally signed on to. "I assume they are wanting extra seats but we will keep negotiating." In a further warning shot to Victory last night, a senior Government source told the Herald Sun the Government was extremely frustrated at Victory chairman Geoff Lord's refusal to sign on to the deal.

"No matter how lucrative the sweeteners are that Telstra Dome are throwing at Melbourne Victory we would be very surprised if they turned their backs on a purpose-built stadium for soccer and their Melbourne fan base," the source said. Storm CEO Brian Waldron welcomed Mr Bracks' promise to go ahead with the stadium. Football Federation Australia, soccer's peak body, said it supported the construction of a purpose-built stadium in Melbourne.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21145516-661,00.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
Melbourne also need a decent stadium for next Super14 franchise. It cost them dearly last time. I think part of the NRL deal to take SOO and internationals to Melb was also reliant on the Storm getting a new home. F@#$ the Victory, when the soccer bubble bursts again there 10,000 in the Dome will be disastarous and they will come crawling for forgiveness!

Why are the Demons involved? How is an AFL team going to use a rectangular stadium?

Quidgybo

Bench
Perth Red said:
Why are the Demons involved? How is an AFL team going to use a rectangular stadium?
Training and Administration base. $190m isn't just going on 20,000 seats and a bubble roof. There's office space, gym facilities and so forth.

Leigh.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
This is probably all part of a hidden agenda by the AFL to prevent NRL taking a firm foothold in 'their' state!

Its b/s and makes me hate puffball even more and the stupid Victorian govmt.

LESStar58

Referee
Perth Red said:
Melbourne also need a decent stadium for next Super14 franchise. It cost them dearly last time. I think part of the NRL deal to take SOO and internationals to Melb was also reliant on the Storm getting a new home. F@#$ the Victory, when the soccer bubble bursts again there 10,000 in the Dome will be disastarous and they will come crawling for forgiveness!

Talking to a few European football fans, the consensus is that if the Victory choke and then lose 3 or 4 games in a row next year the crowds will wither and die. I hope it true.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We have a similiar problem in the West with Union threatening to scupper our hopes of a decent rectangular stadium. The Force are averging 30,000 and so are saying that a redeveloped MES or a new 25,000 seater isn't big enough. Hopefully they'll keep losing and their crowds will go down!!

meltiger

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Melbourne also need a decent stadium for next Super14 franchise. It cost them dearly last time.

Is that right? I'm sure the Force play on a cricket ground.

LESStar58

Referee
tHE fORCE WILL MOVE TO Members Equity Stadium soon enough I reckon. Nothing to do with me thinking that the crowds will go down.....its just it is a fantastic ground for rugby codes.

Quidgybo

Bench
meltiger said:
Is that right? I'm sure the Force play on a cricket ground.
They were accepted on the basis of Subiaco being strictly a temporary home until MES is redeveloped. I believe there is even a government guarantee of funding to that effect to take the ground to 22,000 - something that the Melbourne bid didn't have. The Melbourne bid had Olympic Park and no guarantee of anything else. It is only the Force's subsequent crowd success that has held up the MES redevelopment because 22,000 may end up being too small (in much the same way that the larger than expected Victory crowds are holding up the Melbourne development).

Leigh.

Ice777

Bench
KalgoorlieRed said:
This is probably all part of a hidden agenda by the AFL to prevent NRL taking a firm foothold in 'their' state!

Its b/s and makes me hate puffball even more and the stupid Victorian govmt.

Ahh i never tire of the paranoia that goes on here at this site :lol:

This stadium has NOTHING to do with the AFL whatsoever so there' no hidden agenda by them. Well only the fact that an AFL club will be one of the tennants there (Melbourne) so they want it as much as anyone. Our sports minister who's played a big part in the development/planning of the stadium is an AFL premiership player and our premier is a mad AFL supporter. They want it to go ahead otherwise they wouldn't have flagged the idea in the first place. I'm the first to admit our government has it's fair share of knobs, but the one and only group that should be blamed for this fiasco is not them and it's not the AFL, It's the Melbourne Victory.

If they signed on the dotted line tomorrow then there wouldn't be a problem and the wheels could be set in motion. But the fact they're holding out for a bigger stadium is the only thing that's holding up the project. Personally i say f**k them off and start buliding anyway. As Bracks said, he wants them to sign up as a tennant, but the stadium will be going ahead with or without them, the only uncertainty is the capacity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Build it to 30,000 capacity but don't put the seats in one tier/stand until the Dome deal runs out. Sorted!

mattyg

Bench
FFS...i don't know why they are making these stadiums with 20,000 capacity in the first place...The NRL in about 5-10 years time will have well outgrown those types of crowds. We are averaging roughly 16,000 at the moment. The ground should be built to accomodate AT LEAST 30,000...even as many as 40,000 IMO. Same goes with Skilled Park up on the GC, but that has already been started. With the whole Telstra Dome deal, why not just build the stadium to hold 40k or whatever, but just leave the seats out for the top few rows of each bay.