What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Whispers: Saint's Chase Rangi (Part II)

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Rangi deal is off. He has a criminal record and apparently a hard person to contain. Not worth all the money for the hassel he will bring.

I think its about time we put this post to bed...its going on and on and on....and look now I've just added another one....lets try and concentrate on what we have now (not including Fein)...and that's Drinkwater and Siejka....until we have another one signed sealed and delivered please no more speculation

Last edited:

inside_pass

Bench
Would have been a great sight to watch playing alongside him. Give the ball to Brad and sit back. It just goes to show that there are players and then there are very special players and he was definitely one of them. Would likely be up there in the top 10 players of the last 30 years.
It was a bit like that,if we needed a try we just passed it to Brad...lol.
Even at that age he was built for league,we were around 75-80 kg and Brad would have been close to 90kg and he had pace.
Ben Alexander was our hooker and he was a decent player as well.
I always remember Greg Alexander and Mark Geyer would come down to training and help us out......top blokes!

Minh

First Grade
Even at that age he was built for league,we were around 75-80 kg and Brad would have been close to 90kg and he had pace.
I always remember Greg Alexander and Mark Geyer would come down to training and help us out......top blokes!

Sounds like you had a pretty awesome time playing league surrounded by those calibre of players. I remember playing junior league and there were some pretty good players but the best in my team only made it to reserve grade and he was a standout player too.

TheRev

Coach
Nothing official has happened with Rangi either way? Not sure how anything is put to bed yet.

SilentAssassin

Juniors

That's nothing. I played with and against the great Richie Williams...

:lol:

But seriously, he could of been a great player if he had the right attitude. Just unbelievably lazy and thought he was that good he didn't have to work hard.

jenninga

First Grade
Wow, almost 61,000 views and Rangi is not coming.Can this be a record for a non signing on LU.

saint.nick

Coach
That's nothing. I played with and against the great Richie Williams...

:lol:

But seriously, he could of been a great player if he had the right attitude. Just unbelievably lazy and thought he was that good he didn't have to work hard.

Wasn't he the c***head who started blowing his own horn, and taunted Anasta and the Roosters before the 2007 ANZAC match? He's trash.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Pursuit of Chase aborted due to cap inclusion, Dragons boss tells members

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust told a members' forum the reason the Dragons hadn't been able to sign England halfback Rangi Chase was because the money he had earned in Super League this year would have to be included in the club's 2013 salary cap.
Doust outlined details of the Dragons' recruitment strategy during a two-hour question-and-answer session with about 160 Red V members on Monday night, at which he also explained why the club had extended the contract of coach Steve Price after missing out on Craig Bellamy.
The Dragons boss said the club had not finished recruiting for next season and hoped to add a halfback and back-rower to the list of new signings already announced, which include Gareth Widdop, Dylan Farrell, Joel Thompson and Warrington prop Mike Cooper.
Chase and Feleti Mateo were the two players initially targeted for those roles and Doust said it had been hoped they would join the club before the June 30 deadline for player transfers.
Advertisement
However, St George Illawarra did not have enough room in this season's salary cap to accommodate Chase after being told they had to include the value of his sizeable Castleford contract as well as what they were going to pay him.
Doust said their bid for Mateo also did not come off as the Warriors would not grant the back-rower a mid-season release. He has since re-signed with the Warriors.
Asked about the appointment of Price to replace Wayne Bennett at the start of last season, Doust explained that the seven-time premiership coach had committed himself to the Dragons for ''as long as it took'', which was interpreted as being up to five years.
But after steering the club to grand final success in his second year, Bennett decided to leave at the end of the 2011 season and recommended Price, who also had the support of the playing group.
He was given a two-year contract as that coincided with Bellamy coming off contract with Melbourne at the end of this season.
After missing out on Bellamy, the Dragons reasoned that only Bennett or Canterbury's Des Hasler were of the same calibre and there were no better alternatives to Price available so they re-signed him for a further season.
But Doust said Dragons' management was disappointed with recent results. He also told members the retirements of Ben Hornby and Dean Young were unexpected so they had not been replaced and the impact of their loss on the team should not be underestimated, while the Dragons have also had injuries in key positions this year.

TheRev

Coach
That is really frustrating that we couldnt improve the NRL by bringing in extra talent from overseas.. shame on the NRL management, and I believe this is exactly the sort of thing that Todd Greenberg was bought in for, make things happen without the red-tape rubbish.

What a different story it would have been with Mateo & Rangi signing before June 30.. however in the end relying on other clubs to release players is just an indication that it was all left much too late by Dragons Management, these players should have been sourced last year or in the off season at a minimum.

nrlnrl

First Grade
hmmm... that is interesting. It just got juicy again. But surely our books are closed now on any halves Position.

No, the door has closed on this. They tried twice & there was too much red tape etc & have quite a few options in the halves with Widdop, Williams & Quinlan ( plus unknown futures of Drinkwater & then younger options like Crook & Hutchinson )

Latest posts