What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morning rugby league?

Eels Dude

Coach
Probally be worth a try in Sydney. They dont turn up for night games.. might as well see how the Morning games go..

Yeah because the Melbourne Storm get great crowds... despite the hinderance of having just one NRL side in the entire state :sarcasm:

brad_19

Juniors
Yeah because the Melbourne Storm get great crowds... despite the hinderance of having just one NRL side in the entire state :sarcasm:

Parramatta also get wonderful crowds, despite the hinderance of being in NRL heartland. 7k for the GF rematch is a true testament to Parra's crowd-drawing capabilites.

One the hottest topics in league.

My old community radio show got on this years ago - we called for Tuesday morning (6am) football, an obvious follow on from Monday night footy, a timeslot just waiting for a sport to sew up!

;-)

Also, Anzac Day match should be played at 4:30... am

And lets not forget the need to ensure we cover the Thursday morning slot... but I think Wednesday would be going a bit over board.

orochimaru

Juniors
its not a good idea, but its not a bad one

In a sense I woudln't mind waking up to a morning of rugbyleague on saturday

But theres not enough money in it for the marketing.

I usually wake up at 6am to watch the world cup challenge

Eels Dude

Coach
Parramatta also get wonderful crowds, despite the hinderance of being in NRL heartland. 7k for the GF rematch is a true testament to Parra's crowd-drawing capabilites.

Not the point I was making, but go ahead turn this into a Melbourne vs Parramatta argument if that's what you wish. I'm not really interested. Continue to live in your ignorance.

VictoryFC

Bench
While 9am is ridiculous, midday wouldn't be all that horrible. The EPL schedule a Saturday game usually for 12 - 12:30 start. But seeing as TV ratings are so important, would never happen. However it would be interesting to see what kind of crowd a Sat/Sun 12pm lunchtime kick off would get.

Jono078

Referee
This is by far the worst idea.

Above what everyone else mentioned, who'd wanna wake up on a winter morning and go sit outside that early to watch a game?

An NRL game should never start earlier than 12pm.

brad_19

Juniors
Not the point I was making, but go ahead turn this into a Melbourne vs Parramatta argument if that's what you wish. I'm not really interested. Continue to live in your ignorance.

Are you serious? A Storm fan made a comment regarding Sydney attendances and you immediately backfired with a negative comment on our crowds... So discussion on Storm attendances is fair game but not Parra? Hmm...

Last edited:

***MH***

Bench
Also, Anzac Day match should be played at 4:30... am
I'd love to see a dawn service game. Pack out the SFS at before dawn in complete silence for the commemorations. At the end of the service you'd have the teams march on together and then have the national anthem. Finish the game by 8am and spend the rest of the day playing two up!

Imagine having 30,000+ attend a dawn service!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's actually not a bad idea, but I guess some uptight types might object to it overtaking the importance of the solemn service.

Eels Dude

Coach
Are you serious? A Storm fan made a comment regarding Sydney attendances and you immediately backfired with a negative comment on our crowds... So discussion on Storm attendances is fair game but not Parra? Hmm...

A Storm fan made a negative comment about Sydney crowds on average and I replied that Melbourne crowds for a one city side are even worse than our average which is divided between 9 clubs. My point has nothing to do with me being an Eels fans, that's why this silly little Storm supporter has missed the boat.

Johns Magic

Referee
I saw the title of the thread and was thinking "great idea, I love rolling out of bed at midday Sundays and flicking the TV on to watch the Warriors playing in NZ".

But 9am? I haven't got up that early since high school, I wouldn't remember if it was even light at that hour or not.

brad_19

Juniors
A Storm fan made a negative comment about Sydney crowds on average and I replied that Melbourne crowds for a one city side are even worse than our average which is divided between 9 clubs. My point has nothing to do with me being an Eels fans, that's why this silly little Storm supporter has missed the boat.

lol... what you did is identical to what I did. He made a comment regarding Sydney in general, which had nothing to do with the Storm, yet you returned fire and commented about our crowds. Yes, your comment had nothing to do with Parramatta, but if you want to take pot shots at my footy club, I'm more then willing to take them at yours.

Ceasefire??

Oh and for the record, I reckon given we're a non-RL state where the interest in the sport is about 0.00125% of the overall population, AND our club is playing for nothing but respect (which we carry very little of in the general RL population anyway), I think we're doing pretty well overall.

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Don't think I'd agree with the 9am timeslot, however if they start the first game at midday for example, then have that flow into the 2pm game and then have Ch9's Sunday Football LIVE at 4pm. That way, we get rid of MNF and we play footy on the weekends, which is when it's meant to be played ...

Two Friday, three Saturday and three Sunday. Problem solved.

Eels Dude

Coach
lol... what you did is identical to what I did. He made a comment regarding Sydney in general, which had nothing to do with the Storm, yet you returned fire and commented about our crowds. Yes, your comment had nothing to do with Parramatta, but if you want to take pot shots at my footy club, I'm more then willing to take them at yours.

Ceasefire??

Oh and for the record, I reckon given we're a non-RL state where the interest in the sport is about 0.00125% of the overall population, AND our club is playing for nothing but respect (which we carry very little of in the general RL population anyway), I think we're doing pretty well overall.

My point is relevent. A Storm supporter started an argument taking a potshot at Sydney crowds in general and said that games should be moved away because they're so low. And that's a bit rich coming from a Storm supporter. I'm not having a go at your club whatsoever, not my intention. Just picking up a hypocrite when I see one, ie. simostorm.