What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morrison on market

Kasper

Bench
Morrison on market
By ADAM GARDINI
17jun04
STAR North Queensland Cowboys backrower Glenn Morrison could be headed elsewhere next season after being granted permission yesterday to discuss his future with rival clubs.

His manager Wayne Beavis requested the club's permission for Morrison, ruled out for the season with two fractured vertebrae in his back, to enter the open market on Tuesday.

After a meeting between Cowboys coaching staff, chief executive Denis Keeffe and the board yesterday, the decision was made to allow the 28-year-old to talk with other clubs.

"He obviously wants to go out there and see what his market value is," football manager Peter Parr said.

"The best thing for this club is for him to stay but if he thinks he can get a better financial deal somewhere which is better for him and his family, it's his prerogative to find that out."

The Country Origin representative has played 173 first grade games including 90 for the Cowboys since joining the club from the North Sydney Bears in 2000.

Beavis said while the decision meant Morrison would be able to test the market, that task would be made difficult until Beavis could present prospective clubs with an official doctor's report on Morrison's injury.

Parr said the conditions of the agreement were that the Cowboys would receive the last right of reply to match any offers made and that a decision on Morrison's future would be made by June 30.

"Negotiations have gone on for so long that we need a decision as soon as we can," Parr said.

"As much as we want him to stay we can't wait forever.

"If he hasn't accepted our deal by June 30 or told us that he's not going to stay here then we'll reassess things then."

Morrison rejected an initial offer presented by the Cowboys seven weeks ago before recently being offered a second deal -- understood to be a three-year contract provided that he plays a certain quota of games in the first two years.

Morrison said yesterday both parties had been unable to come to an agreement on the offer but hoped he could stay in North Queensland.

"We wanted a three-year deal without the conditions in there. If we can get to that level I'd love to stay here with the Cowboys," Morrison said, adding that he hoped the situation could be sorted out quickly for him and his family.

Morrison had earlier requested negotiations with the Cowboys late last season but the club elected to hold off until he had fully recovered from off-season shoulder surgery.

As well as his current back injury and last season's shoulder reconstruction, Morrison underwent operations to both ankles, hernia and adductor (groin) muscles at the end of 2002.

DEMON

Juniors
I'm probably going to get hammered by everyone by saying this,but I think the young guns are finally stepping up & putting pressure on the established first graders & I think Messer's Murray & Parr are taking notice.The way that Steve Southern stood up in his debut was superb & shane tronc is finding his feet as well.So maybe we don't need Morro anymore.

DEMON

Juniors
All I'm saying is maybe it's time to give the younger guys a chance & yes I do agree that he is one of our best players week in week out,but maybe we have the next Webke or Lockyer or even the next Wally Lewis & all they need is a chance to show their goods instead of being kept in Qld cup.

Kasper

Bench
We have great young talent but all I am saying is we should be doing our all to keep Morro...(it's looking less likely that we will). Southern has a chance to prove his worth and even if we keep Morro he'll get a spot in next years team if he is good enough.

BTW Southern had a great debut hopefully he can continue that form.

Billybob

Juniors
look bottom line is morro is going
everyone should go down to the airport and just wave to him as he goes to play for some other club
granted he has done everything and more for us cowboys supporters (he is a really nice guy ) but geez lets just face facts he said it himself he wants to get noticed and the only way to do that is play for a sydney club (just look at how many games we have had on free to air )so i respect that

his injuries are becoming a bit of a consern for the admin team and it is in the cowboys best interest to offer them what they feel he is worth (and you are only as good as your last game )

and the only player i have ever been disappointed that we let go was scott prince
he was going somewhere looked a million dollars out there on a cowboys jersey

but such is life
we dont play the game we dont know what is going on in his head so i for one will respect any decision he makes he has given all he can and for that i respect him

dakota

Juniors
I hope that he and the men upstairs can come to a happy agreement -- and soon.

I would love to see him stay.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I feel so bad for you guys.

Well, it's not like your team is bad without him anyway but still - he's great.

I'm over the moon we got him.

I'm also over the moon because he'll now be playing alongside the NSW and Australian second rower and Glenn might now finally get the recognition he deserves.

Azkatro

First Grade
No need to feel sorry for us. Norton to lock, Just Smith to second row. Could be worse ;-)

Until next year though, let's worry about the now. Good luck this weekend - you'll need it.

Latest posts