What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mortimer back next week?

AlexTheEel

Juniors
I was very dissapointed in Robson tonight.

He tried to make some plays and it didn't go well.

His kicks were bad again.

KK looks so much better at 6 than at 7.

What our halves lack is composure and patience. The eels very rarely force line drop outs. I would not be surprised if we are last in the NRL in this stat. It seems if we are in the 20 we either run it on the last or kick high for reddy.

Sometimes all you need to do is roll it in the ingoal , follow it up with a good chase and build pressure.

yy_cheng

Coach
What our halves lack is composure and patience. The eels very rarely force line drop outs. I would not be surprised if we are last in the NRL in this stat. It seems if we are in the 20 we either run it on the last or kick high for reddy.

Sometimes all you need to do is roll it in the ingoal , follow it up with a good chase and build pressure.

I TOTALLY AGREE.

If a winger is isolated, by all means bomb but we don't have anyone (possibly Burt though) who can put in a pin point bomb.

born an eel

Bench

not just the halves, Hayne kicked dead on the 3rd when we were in front with about 10 mins to play. we need to play smarter all round.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we should go with our strongest line up and unfortunately that will probably not include Morts

hybrideel

Bench
I'm pretty sure there was only 5 or 6 to go with us up by 10 when Hayne kicked dead. Not sure if he meant it but It was the next best thing to getting another 6. Wastes a lot of time with the bronoc having to get all their players back onside as opposed to just running it out with players still coming back onside

Morts will be better than KK but I think as others have said he is a 5/8 and not a halfback.
Ando has to be man enough to move him back to 5/8 and make him stand deeper to get more time with the ball. Alod he has to support the ball runners more early in the tackle count, he did that lasy year but because he was moved to halfback he has now to run the show and can't play his natural game. Ando has stuffed up with him like when he tried to move Hayne to 5/8 last year.

boxhead

First Grade
I think the team for next week, if no-one returns from injury, should be this
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Joel Reddy
4. Jonathon Wright
5. Krisnan Inu
6. Kris Keating
7. Jeff Robson
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Matt Keating
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Justin Horo
13. Feleti Mateo
14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Tim Mannah
16. Taniela Lasalo
17. Justin Poore

I think if Robson stays quiet like he did last night, in a few weeks time Mortimer will come into the side, but I don't know what position he will play.....our attack in reality looked the same as it has in past weeks, where it was either manufactured through individual brilliance or from Jarryd Hayne and Feleti Mateo.
Our halves did set up two tries, though, which is a good sign. Will be interesting to see what Anderson does; if we have won three straight and come up against the Warriors on a winning run, I have no idea if Mortimer will come into the side for one of the players (probably Robson) or if Anderson will keep the same side (barring injuries).
Also, I think if Eric Grothe and Shackleton will come back, they have to do it before the finals; they will need match fitness before they can play in the match finals, in my opinion.

boxhead

First Grade
Morts will be better than KK but I think as others have said he is a 5/8 and not a halfback.
Ando has to be man enough to move him back to 5/8 and make him stand deeper to get more time with the ball. Alod he has to support the ball runners more early in the tackle count, he did that lasy year but because he was moved to halfback he has now to run the show and can't play his natural game. Ando has stuffed up with him like when he tried to move Hayne to 5/8 last year.

Perfectly agree. However, I can't see us putting Mortimer back in at the expense of Kris Keating when KK was easily the best of our two halves last night, and has been in better form recently than the other two (Morts and Robson).
Wasn't Kris Keating our halfback last year before he got injured, and with Feleti at five-eighth they were actually doing well?
That might be what happens.....Mortimer may go to five-eighth and Kris Keating to halfback....because isn't 7 where KK played last year??? I've heard he tore them up....
Actually, that might be a good idea. Give KK the 7 and Morts the 6. What do you guys think?

lingard

Coach
Mortimer will come good, but there is no point changing the team; Lasalo was great and Anthony Mitchell, on debut, was brilliant.
Only person that would get the shaft is Jono Wright if Timana Tahu comes back, I can't see any surprise returns by Eric Grothe or Shackleton....

On Mortimer, I read somewhere that he made the most tackles of any halfback ever or something in a game a few weeks ago. Very interesting; when you look at it, Mortimer has had to do way more tackling than most NRL halfbacks do.....
Not that I agree with him being at halfback unless he gets a dominant half paired with him and someone steps up and coaches him well (I think it's a great idea to say he is our long term halfback; many players started as nobodies, people saying 'no way will he be a halfback' and what do you know they turn into great halfbacks), but he should definitely be in the team somewhere.

Yeah, but half the time he just gets bowled over by the ball-runner and then another Parra player comes in and finishes off the tackle. His defence is very ordinary, I reckon.

Springs

First Grade
That was always the problem with saying that they are 'resting' Mortimer. If we play well and win, who do we drop to put Mortimer back in?
We shouldn't change a winning side, and the only place I can see Mortimer fitting back into the side is no.14, but Mitchell doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Djay

Juniors
Only person I'd drop would be Robson but in no way would I drop KK or Mitchell.

boxhead

First Grade
Yeah, but half the time he just gets bowled over by the ball-runner and then another Parra player comes in and finishes off the tackle. His defence is very ordinary, I reckon.

He actually completes most of his tackles, lingard. He also does a tonne more defence than pretty much any other half has to do, and he quite frequently saves tries with his tackling or really helps the boys; he can tackle far above his weight.
It's actually only rare that he gets 'bowled over', and even then he usually completes those tackles himself.
Also, you should know that generally more than one player tackles, that's the way teams defend....says absolutely nothing about Mortimer's defence being 'bad', because by that logic every player in the NRL would have bad defence......
If teams didn't number up in defence and put multiple defenders in a tackle, you would see way more tries scored, so I don't see how you can use that as a criticism against Morts.

spiderdan

Bench
I don't mind Mortimer in the side but for him to be included he needs another dominant ball player in the side, ie Mateo needs to be given more game time and the ball playing responsibility he has had the last two games. Against the titans we started to fall apart when Mateo was benched.

For next year to be a threat (post-Mateo) we need another dominant ball player at 6 or 7 for Mortimer to play to his strengths. The broncos won a title with Shane perry at 7. If we get a good ball player to complement hayne and Mitchell can improve on last night then we'll be ok.

MaxZ/3iaGGiZ

Juniors
It don't really matter if Mortz comes back next week. There really is not much difference between KK and Mortz. Both are average at the moment.
The key is Mateo. Ever since DA has given him freedom and as long as it remains so, we now have a much stronger attacking side. As a matter of fact, nows the time to give Mateo the 6. Have KK or Mortz play halfback.