What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mortimer pleads for new leadership

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
2013 - Perth Reds, Northern Cyclones (Darwin-PNG)

2017 - Wellington/Chch, Central Coast Bears

Preferably a Sydney team (Roosters) to relocate to the Central Coast earlier, but if not 2017 is a good time for another NSW team.

I'd be bringing Ipswich, Redcliffe or Souths Logan into the comp by 2013 too, Qld needs another team!

antbytes

Juniors
Why should the ARL be any different than any other sports association ?
Go down to the local bowls club and you'll see 'Crackerjack'.
Where there are 'incorporated' clubs that need some organisation, you'll find the amateurs organising them; and good on them. My gripe is that some are in a tad deeper than they should be.
RL needs to extract something out of somewhere or it'll disappear. Peter Fits' in the SMH is spot on; Rugby will inherit the game, 'cause the people that run their clubs are not amateur administrators, they are 'toffs'... solicitors, etc.
The RL clubs who can hold their own have the Politis' & Delmege's running the show. Not ex-front rowers like Fitzgeralds and the Peponis'.
For what it's worth AFL & RL can argue over the Oz market all they like because the real money is in Europe and the US and that's where the best administrators and business savvy people will be.
Oh, what is Rugby doing ??? They're looking at getting some US 'franchise(s)' involved in the Super 14. How long before that pink jerseyed mob and their mates from France want to play in that comp ? Now that's where the money will be. Methinks Gaz has might be getting $100 grand for each tackle, but has he jumped too early ?

sass

Juniors
i love this -

"I see this Steeden football that is deflated and dead, and I see these vultures picking at it - like News Ltd, Channel Nine and 2GB," Mortimer said. "What I'm saying is they have picked what they wanted for their own benefit and when there is no carcass left, they will fly away.

"I want to see the Steeden up high like a halo and everyone wanting to be part of the action."

yes!

LOVE.

Smartman

Juniors
The greatest bulldog of them all.

Turvey for NRL Ceo!!!!

For phukks sake does the donkey have any ideas.

ucantseeme

Juniors
16 teams is the magic number for mine.

Expansion should only come through relocation, initiated by a campaign from locals for their own team. Ala GC Titans bid. Otherwise you'd have a situation like with Melbourne where they set up a team then went about spreading the RL gospel to the locals when it should be other way around.

I do agree that there is a need to move away from the self serving blazer brigade and toward experienced professionals with a proven business acumen. The reliance on pokie revenue is frightening at some NSW clubs.

In saying that it doesn't guarantee success. Todd Greenburg, Bulldogs CEO, is the type of "new leadership" Mortimer is after, but came up with the bonehead idea to let away fans in for free. Even though he was probably being pressured into it by SBW, it doesn't make commercial sense nor is one of those feelgood moments for RL.

Last edited:

Abz

Juniors
New Governing body, new CEO, no need to Gallop away from Leagues problems anymore... I'm excited :D

Latest posts