What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most articulate players and those who are not

lucablight

First Grade
Who would you rate as players that give pretty eloquent and interesting interviews and who has nothing but incoherant garble?

For mine I would have to say

Articulate: Shane Webcke, Dean Widders, Nathan Hindmarsh, Andrew Johns

Not so: Matt Bowen (can't understand what he's saying and sometimes his answers are irrelevant to the questions asked of him)

Matt Head: He just keeps saying "it was good" over and over

Brad Fittler: In his playing days he reminded me of Sylvester Stallone. I like his commentary now though

I'm sure there are plenty of others and I'll leave them to you

Anything you guys noticed?

Jae

Juniors
I'd put PJ Marsh in the Not So list.. he sounds like he's been inhaling helium all of his life. I'd love to have heard some of the stuff he said to Barrett earlier in that game, it would've been like being verbally abused by a chipmunk.

iggy plop

First Grade
I wouldn't lump Johns in the articulate basket. Mid-range maybe.

I'd say Ricko, Michael Witt, Wing, Price, Widders, David Stagg, Cooper Cronk, Lolesi are some of the best.

Worst are Hodges, Covell, Bowen, Frances Meli, Jason Smith, Barry Berrigan, Sherwin.

iggy plop

First Grade
Stacey Jones is pretty good. Other that speak well are Toddy Byrne, Fletch on his day, Craig Smith, Robbie Kearns, Carl Webb is surprisingly good, Jason King, Menzies (if you take the unos out), Schifcofske and Corey Parker.

I find it difficult to understand Hazem at times, but I'm getting used to Morley. O'Meley is ordinary.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Simon Woolford, he speaks so well. He's the only player I've ever seen during a pre-match interview never say um or ah

Dogs Of War

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
Simon Woolford, he speaks so well. He's the only player I've ever seen during a pre-match interview never say um or ah

I can't take him serious cause of that blinking problem of his.

Nickeel

Juniors
Matt Utai being interviewed on the Boots n All Bowling Challenge the other day didn't really add a lot to educated debate. Just a couple of grunts and that was that. He could be really really shy, though.

Brad Fittler was my all-time worst though. Everytime he opened his mouth, particularly for a post-match interview when he was Aust captain, he made me cringe. I'd think, 'is this some kind of tonal language that I'm not familiar with?'

As far as ex-players and current commentators go, the diuretic flow of drivel that tumbles out of Laurie Daley's mouth is often something to behold.

Nick

Azkatro

First Grade
Any of you remember Tallis talking when he was still at the Dragons? Some of the worst you're ever likely to see - he is still average now but he has improved out of site!

bulldog

Bench
The early Lozza commentating was certainly an experience, didn't know if he had tourette's syndrome or what, but he has improved out of sight since those days and I'd rate him one of Fox's better commentators.

Munky

Coach
Greg Alexander has always seemed to be good at speaking.

Sounds natural and unforced.

Mr Saab

Referee
best ...webcke

worst...bowen. I dont know what he is saying 3/4 of the time. Mumble central!

Mr Saab

Referee
Munky said:

not really.
He isnt bad, but he isnt great.
Says "You know" more times in a sentence than any man ever...more so than Andy Gregory!

Munky said:

I agree with that and as a commentator he has more of a passion towards the Panthers rather than an out and out bias. If they are going poorly he tells it as it is and he gets excited when they do well but doesn't constantly put them up. I like Brandy as a commentator.

Worst Ever: Sam Backo.
Best: Wally Lewis.

Of current players I think Shane Webcke is one of the better ones. Luke Ricketson and Bryan Fletcher as well. Dean Widders. Nathan Hindmarsh isn't too bad either.