What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most embarrassing Dragons fans moments

When the NRL stripped us of our 2010 premiership for systematically breaching the salary cap.

Honourable mentions:
- When we were investigated by ASADA and WADA for using "supplements";
- Phil Rothfield supporting our club;
- Paul Kent having played one game for us;
- Trent Barrett coaching us; and
- When we got kicked out of the competition for two years.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Semi spot on the line against Penrith and rather a win at all costs mentality let’s play an injured Dan “Fu**ing” Hunt so he can celebrate a milestone game. And who was the coach that bequeathed him that honour? Some nice guy.
here here..
1. Signing Dan as a marquee at the expense of letting Beau Scott go. (one of mine)
2. Mary getting extended not once but twice.

BLM01

First Grade
3. Another one of my pet hates is when Alfie singing "St George cant play"
4. And everyone calling us chokers after the 99 GF
5. Willie Mason laughing and belittling our forward pack in a scrum when Ben Creagh was captain.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Never been embarrassed supporting Saints. Disappointed, yes, frustrated definitely, but never embarrassed. I think it’s the Red V jersey; can’t ever be embarrassed when supporting that jumper and all it’s marvellous history. It transcends players, coaches and matches. I get a bit edgy when they don’t wear it though. I believe we should ask for exemption from the NRL to be able to wear it every weekend (home and away), stuff the merchandising bullshit. They play too often with out it imo. It’s iconic, it’s powerful, leave it; wear it.

blue bags

First Grade
Then there was the 70-10 loss embarrassment at the MCG in 2000 by the purple cheats straight after Mundine mouthed off before the game. Made the GF embarrassment almost non existent.

1999. Leading 14-0 at half time and cruising.

Only to lose 18-20 with a penalty try (kick in front).

Never before. Never again.
I was at both games, I'm still hurting brothers

The 38-0 in ‘75 was embarrassing for me and I didn’t even have to deal with it for several weeks due to being overseas on a family holiday and we didn’t actually find out until we were in taxi (St George Taxi) home from the airport! These days we would’ve watched it live anywhere in the world on our phones/tablets and switched off at half time!
I was at the ground that day.

It was only 5 nil at half time and no one started leaving until much later in the game. Like many who grew up in the district, I idolized Changa, then and now, so I was crushed, but not embarrassed. Not even by the white boots.

This current situation is a completely different story. I will never support a different NRL side, but my enthusiasm for the sport is being tested.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I was at the ground that day.

It was only 5 nil at half time and no one started leaving until much later in the game. Like many who grew up in the district, I idolized Changa, then and now, so I was crushed, but not embarrassed. Not even by the white boots.

This current situation is a completely different story. I will never support a different NRL side, but my enthusiasm for the sport is being tested.
I was there too. So disappointing, particularly after the euphoric and proud feeling of beating firstly Manly and then Easts in the semi finals. We beat the more favoured Manly without Changa and Barry Beath with Teddy Goodwin scoring one of the best individual tries i’ve ever seen; then we followed that up when Henry Tatana kicked 4 superb penalty goals to beat that amazing Easts side in the upset of the year in the Major Semi. The high and lows of sport…

blue bags

First Grade
Then there was the 70-10 loss embarrassment at the MCG in 2000 by the purple cheats straight after Mundine mouthed off before the game. Made the GF embarrassment almost non existent.
I was there that night at the MCG, in my red V, after the game I walked around the to the back carpark of the offices, dressing rooms, of the MCG, I saw Bill Harrigan the referee of the game and the 99 grand final, and Chris Anderson, the coach of the storm, and a few other suited up dudes, all stare at me, in a surprised look on there face, and all get in the same car, laughing, smiling, and driving out

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
My most embarrassing moments:

1. Everything post 1988 that Craig Young has touched since he retired.
2. 2011 - Steve Price as Coach
3. 2012 - Steve Price as Coach
3. 2013 - Steve Price as Coach
4. 2014 - Steve Price and Paul McGregor as Coaches
5. 2015 - Paul McGregor as Coach
6. 2016 - Paul McGregor as Coach
7. 2017 - Paul McGregor as Coach
8. 2018 - Paul McGregor as Coach / WIN Corporation purchase of Illawarra debt / Andrew Gordon appointment as Chairman.
9. 2019 - Paul McGregor as Coach
10. 2020 - Paul McGregor as Coach

Essentially everything post Bennett has been a disaster and an embarrassment.

i. Coaching appointments have been an embarrassment
ii. WIN buy-out has been an embarrassment
iii. Andrew Gordon as Chairman is an embarrassment.

It's been a ripper of a decade folks!

Puff

First Grade
Doust rejecting Bennett’s offer to stay for 5 years. Then begging him to stay after 3. Then him raping our side to teach us a lesson. Then our fans blowing up as a result.

This sums up our club/board/supporters. It’s an embarrassment that has lasted since the late 80’s.

We no longer compete. And that’s the biggest embarrassment.

When I say I am a saints supporter. I want to do what JDB is doing in RandWtillidie’s avatar

* Being jilted by Rocket Reddy who decided he'd rather coach the Rams
* The "smell of Newtown" comment from Brian Smith
* The board ever allowing us to get into a situation where a joint venture was the most viable option
* Being held to nil at Jubilee Oval (Thanks, Mary)
* Josh McCrone at half-back
* The Price Years
* The Mary Years
* Tingha's revelation about racist talk in the dressing room.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
A September evening in 1999 and a young man boards a train from Homebush to the city. Only a little over an hour earlier, he had been jubilantly strutting about the concrete cavern - his chest puffed out in his replica red V - near delirious at what he believed he was about to witness. Now instead he was subject to snide remarks and the sympathetic averting of eyes on a long, slow journey home - a journey made all the worse for his unfortunately Ainscough-like bowl cut which was the style at the time.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
A September evening in 1999 and a young man boards a train from Homebush to the city. Only a little over an hour earlier, he had been jubilantly strutting about the concrete cavern - his chest puffed out in his replica red V - near delirious at what he believed he was about to witness. Now instead he was subject to snide remarks and the sympathetic averting of eyes on a long, slow journey home - a journey made all the worse for his unfortunately Ainscough-like bowl cut which was the style at the time.
It was a grim afternoon. I was shell-shocked for about 6 months. I lived in Concord at the time and I could not even look at the Olympic Stadium for about 6 months.