What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR: Frank Hyde

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
MEDIA RELEASE

The Rugby League world has today expressed its deep sorrow at the passing of the game’s greatest broadcaster, the legendary Frank Hyde M.B.E, O.A.M. at the age of 91.

The last man to lead the North Sydney Bears into a first grade Grand Final was a champion player turned pioneer broadcaster who called 33 consecutive Grand Finals over 31 years (including replays in 1977 and ‘78) on 2SM.

He died at Peter Cosgrove House at Narrabeen this morning, where he had been staying after suffering a stroke in July.

Family members have told how he watched Manly defeat North Queensland on Saturday evening and how the football remained on in the background even yesterday as he began to lose consciousness.

His hallmark phrase “it’s long enough, it’s high enough, it’s straight between the posts” rang through every season from 1953 to 1983, inspiring generations of fans and setting a benchmark for Rugby League broadcasters.

“Frank Hyde was the voice of the game for so many people,” National Rugby League Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“He sat on the sideline with a small card table and a microphone, and he took people out onto the field through his broadcasts every week.

“The technology has changed a lot since, along with the way the game is played, but Frank’s ability to make people feel part of the action through his calls is one of his great legacies.”

A devout family man and a Papal Knight who is survived by six children, six grand children and four great grand children (his wife of 64 years Gaby having died early this year), Frank would charm fans on his ‘Kangaroo supporter tours’ with his stories and love for singing Irish songs. His recordings of Danny Boy and other tunes became a part of his broadcasts as well as top selling albums.

“He was a great gentleman,” ARL Chief Executive, Mr Geoff Carr, said today.

“Frank charmed everyone and he was one of the best judges of the game you could ever talk to.

“His influence in Rugby League was enormous and there are generations of fans who, every time they watch a goal being kicked to this day hear in their mind the words ‘it’s long enough … it’s high enough.”

Behind the media legend was also a champion centre who began his career with Newtown in 1934 and in 1935 captained them to a Third Grade Premiership and in 1936 entered the top grade.

Such was his talent that Balmain soon challenged for his services under the residential rule of the time and in 1938 he headed to Leichhardt where he would represent both City and NSW. A year later he would score a try in the Tiger’s 33-4 Grand Final win over South Sydney.

In 1940 he headed to Newcastle to coach Waratah Mayfield before heading back to the Tigers.

It was in 1943 as Captain Coach of the Bears that he became the last man to lead that club into a First Grade Grand final going down Newtown 34-7.

Two years later he would call it a day in Rugby League … or so he thought.

Despite a career that covered 93 first grade games, six appearances for NSW, two for City and one for Country, the game wasn’t finished with Frank.

In 1953 he was asked to replace Reg Grundy as 2SM’s Rugby League Broadcaster and he would change the way we listened to the game.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I've seen my team win a few comps..I've seen many a great game and many great players, I've felt every emotion this game had on offer as a supporter but more importantly I shook the hands of 2 beautiful men in the game of Rugby league, Jack Gibson and Frank Hyde it was 2 moments I'll never forget.

Godbless you Frank..they'll be singing Danny boy in heaven tonight.

RIP Frank

The Colonel

Immortal
And if you come, when all the flowers are dying
And I am dead, as dead I well may be
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.

And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me
And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be
If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

Now that would be a fitting tribute to a great man on Grand Final day...... get them to play Frank's version before kick off and have them run out past a small card table and a microphone on the sideline.

Thanks for the memories Frank......

Parra Guru

Coach
RIP Frank Hyde! I'm sorry that I never grew up in his era.

I'm sure his Bears will do him proud on Sunday.

:(

Nikki

Coach
Oh no. I went to School with a couple of his Grandsons.

RIP Frank. The game of Rugby League was only ever made better because of men like you.

Nikki

Coach
I only remember one of the boys, Nick Hyde. He also had a twin brother and then there was an older brother. This was out at St Pats Dundas.

*EDIT* His twin brother was Martin.

Suitman

Post Whore
Nikki said:
I only remember one of the boys, Nick Hyde. He also had a twin brother and then there was an older brother. This was out at St Pats Dundas.

Oh, I forgot that you'd gone to my old school!!!!

Suity

newmanj

Juniors
When i think of football from my childhood, Frank Hydes voice automatically comes into my head. He had a gift, and used it very very well. I used to be able to picture the games as if i was there, and in those days most games werent televised.

If only they still called football the same way.............Then again, there will be never be another Frank Hyde, and a true gentleman, to boot.

Jason

nöyd

Staff member
newmanj said:
When i think of football from my childhood, Frank Hydes voice automatically comes into my head.

Was about to say the same thing. He was the first commentator I recall from when I started following league. From memory he used to be on that sunday morning league show on channel 7? with Ron Casey, Roy Masters, maybe Moose Mossop as well.

I know my late father greatly admired Frank as a caller, and I've never once heard a bad word uttered about him by anyone. Pity there's not more like him in this day and age.

Rest In Peace Frank.

Suitman

Post Whore
nöyd said:
Was about to say the same thing. He was the first commentator I recall from when I started following league. From memory he used to be on that sunday morning league show on channel 7? with Ron Casey, Roy Masters, maybe Moose Mossop as well.

I know my late father greatly admired Frank as a caller, and I've never once heard a bad word uttered about him by anyone. Pity there's not more like him in this day and age.

Rest In Peace Frank.

Just to correct that - Frank was on Channel 9 for a short period of time, with Ron Casey.

Rex Mossop was on Channel 7, with Col Pearce (former referee), Ferris Ashton (former Roosters prop) and someone else - can't remember.

Suity

Nikki

Coach
My first memories of Footy on telly are definately Rex Mossop.. "I'm flabbergasted!!"

Suitman

Post Whore
Suitman said:
Just to correct that - Frank was on Channel 9 for a short period of time, with Ron Casey.

Rex Mossop was on Channel 7, with Col Pearce (former referee), Ferris Ashton (former Roosters prop) and someone else - can't remember.

Suity

Peter Peters was also on 9. It was the "Poor Man's Controversy Corner".

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Suitman said:

Suity

The someone I couldn't remember.......Noel Kelly - Norths tough bastard.
It was great TV!!

Suity

denwatts

Juniors
Allan Clarkson was also on the Rex's show,Controvesy Corner.Those blokes would have had a feild day today with the crap in regards to refs and video refs.
Ron Casey show had Frank Hyde,Mike Gibson,a special guess who was usual Micheal Cleary and Ron himself.Nothing like watching both shows and heading out to the game.