What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR:- Melbourne - SOLD OUT

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Thursday, June 15, 2006
MEDIA RELEASE​

The Harvey Norman State of Origin decider at Melbourne’s Telstra Dome in July 5 is officially a sell out.

Discussions are now being held with Telstra Dome as to whether the match should introduce around 3,000 ‘standing room’ tickets for the event.

The stadium is also looking at all ‘impeded’ view and excess ‘carer seats’ to see what else can be made available to the public. Fans will be advised of both outcomes as soon as possible.

Ticketmaster websites were inundated as Queensland headed towards victory last night and offices in Melbourne opened this morning to a last minute rush as fans scooped up the remaining seats.

The sell out event recaptures the enthusiasm of the MCG in 1994 when Origin played to a Melbourne Crowd of 87,161 and comes as the Melbourne Storm lead the NRL competition.

This match has the added attraction of being the first series decider ever staged outside of Sydney or Brisbane.

“The contest between the two teams in this series is incredible,” ARL Chairman Mr Colin Love said today.

“Each has dominated at various stages in the series and both are now determined to claim the Origin Shield.

“It’s going to be an incredible event and a genuine celebration of State of Origin Rugby League.”

The two teams will arrive in Melbourne a week ahead of the match and will be involved in a week long promotion of the State of Origin.

“Even those who can’t get a ticket will get a taste of the origin excitement through public events including a team appearance at Federation Square at lunchtime on Friday June 30,” Marketing Director Mr Paul Kind said today.

V1er

Juniors
How much were tickets? i heard some guy on the radio this morning claiming that they went for $15? any truth to this?

bradeel

Juniors
I paid $70 for mine. I live in Melbourne and haven't heard a thing about giveaways or competitions so I genuinely think that the sell out is actually fully paying fans of the game as well as plenty of sports mad Victorians who like getting out to see big sporting contests and sporting events. That's why the Storm don't pull a crowd - its just too run of the mill and can't possibly compete with their beloved AFL. Mid-week, and a massive sporting event like Origin, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

Utey

Coach
I would imagine the launch would have attracted many whihc in turn was the giving of free tickets and so on.

FROSTY319

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
lol exactly, many are just freebies.

Rubbish.
I live in Melbourne and I've yet 2 hear of any freebies or competitions.
Victorians are sport mad and are renowned for attending big events.
Bring it on !

Utey

Coach
They wouldnt announce it, would they. Face it. Its AFL COUNTRY.

If there was this much interest the Storm games would pull more than 5000.

Daneel

Bench
FROSTY319 said:
Rubbish.

Victorians are sport mad and are renowned for attending big events.
Bring it on !

Ahh that explains it. Up here we just thought victorians were mad
:lol: :lol: :lol:

FROSTY319

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:

It's all a channel 9 conspiracy.
No tv coverage.

Hindyscrack

Bench
<UPtheEELS> said:

What was our crowd on Sunday?? Far worse then anything the storm have attracted this year???

I've got tickets and heading down... $15 tickets is some un-educated drongo talking crap... Cheapest adult tickets are $35 ranging up to $100

Its going to be a great night down in Melbourne followed by a world cup semi, a storm game on friday and flemington on Sat!

Hindyscrack

Bench
sooperdooper said:
hmmmmm but how many of those tickets were won in competitions? given away etc?

Not a great deal, any of them that were still have a monetry value to the ARL as they would make up part of many sponsorship arrangements...

Hellsy

Immortal
<UPtheEELS> said:

Actually the Storm are getting crowds that are beating us atm..... so who are the bandwagoners again??? :LOL: :crazy: :?

So what if they are giving tix away? If it encourages people to find League then does it matter?
Telstra wasn't full for game 1 and the atmosphere as pathetic IMO, last year was much better

I wish I was going :( :(

sooperdooper

First Grade
Hellsy said:
Actually the Storm are getting crowds that are beating us atm..... so who are the bandwagoners again??? :lol: :crazy: :?

So what if they are giving tix away? If it encourages people to find League then does it matter?
Telstra wasn't full for game 1 and the atmosphere as pathetic IMO, last year was much better

I wish I was going :( :(

so there average is over 14.000?

Hellsy

Immortal
I said 'at the moment', last game we barely registered 7000, and the one before wasn't much better

Hellsy

Immortal
Actually the one last weekend was a JOKE.
I'd guess 4000 people were there, not the 7000+ that was submitted

James_Hardie

Juniors
Whenever we play the Storm, Cowboys or Raiders we get really poor crowds (ie when there are no away supporters). The Storm play interstate sides every week with next to no travelling supporters, so it is no wonder they get slightly less crowds on average. Truth is they probably have about the same number of home supporters at every game as we do.

And on our crowds. Mark my words, there will be more Rabbitohs fans at Parra Stadium this weekend than Eels fans.