What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mt Smart

Blair

Coach
The Superdome was part of our early bid but it fell through. I think the developer went broke, circa 1993.

Now that would've been awesome. It was planned for somewhere in South Auckland. A 'space-age, indoor stadium', probably too good to be true.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Superdome was part of our early bid but it fell through. I think the developer went broke, circa 1993.

Now that would've been awesome. It was planned for somewhere in South Auckland. A 'space-age, indoor stadium', probably too good to be true.
Yeah pretty ambitious for Auckland in the 90s!

Matua

Bench

Oh, I mistakenly thought that sports complex near Rainbows End was the remanent of the Superdome project.

I think Carlaw ultimately would have brought more success to the club than Mt Smart.
It was cultural heart of Rugby League in NZ and would've been seriously intimating for visit teams if a Warriors team were doing well. As you say - it was dilapidated so would have needed a heft upgrade to get it to standard even in 1995.
The location was unbeatable that for sure.
It's always going to be a "what if" thought for me.
The lack of success is not due to where we are playing. It's always been due to our junior pathways. The Warriors are finally addressing this with patience and care under Webby. Cameron, McFadden, Agar, Jones have all added some necessary detail to get that rolling. The sleeping giant people go on about will be woken in the next 3-5 years.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
After tonight you’ve gotta think the next home game against Souths is a guaranteed sellout- should the club be organising extra seating at the north end and on the hill to boost capacity? How good would it be to crack 25k for a regular season game!
It’s also making the case for investing in further upgrades at Mt Smart stronger.

Blair

Coach
After tonight you’ve gotta think the next home game against Souths is a guaranteed sellout- should the club be organising extra seating at the north end and on the hill to boost capacity? How good would it be to crack 25k for a regular season game!
It’s also making the case for investing in further upgrades at Mt Smart stronger.
I need to act. My annual leave is booked, there's no reason why I shouldn't be at that Raiders game in July.

Blair

Coach
I’m inNZ for both the Raiders and Sharks games- gonna have to try to get to one of them I think.
I think my dream trip is no-go at that time as the Women's WC starts that week, with the opener at Eden Park. Crowds, accommodation hassles, inflated prices, no thanks.

Then again, it could add to the fun.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think my dream trip is no-go at that time as the Women's WC starts that week, with the opener at Eden Park. Crowds, accommodation hassles, inflated prices, no thanks.

Then again, it could add to the fun.
I’m thinking of going to the Sharks match- it’s a 2pm Sunday game so I can roll into town just head back down to the Waikato or BoP that night and avoid having to find accomodation, or stay with a mate.

TheDMC

Bench
I haven't been to a game since the 2011 GF....(haven't been in Aus/NZ during footy season since). Will go to the St George Mt Smart game late August the day before I fly back to Asia following a winter trip to the motherland. Don't think I've been to Mt Smart for Warriors game since maybe 1998. Far out.

Blair

Coach
The indoor stadium in Dunedin is at its best now, what an atmosphere for the World Cup.

Is Christchurch going indoors too? Looking back, when replacing Athletic Park, the Cake Tin should've been covered, ditto the proposed Auckland stadium by the harbour.

Eden Park was fine for the Ferns' shock win in the WC opener, but it's just luck that the rain came down an hour or so after the final whistle.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The indoor stadium in Dunedin is at its best now, what an atmosphere for the World Cup.

Is Christchurch going indoors too? Looking back, when replacing Athletic Park, the Cake Tin should've been covered, ditto the proposed Auckland stadium by the harbour.

Eden Park was fine for the Ferns' shock win in the WC opener, but it's just luck that the rain came down an hour or so after the final whistle.
Yep Christchurch is going to be fully roofed.