What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

multi-million dollar bid for WC host city rights

griff

Bench
this is potentially a great story, as long as they can spin it as "cities fighting over the right for the world cup final" and not "RL looking at other options because telstra stadium won't sell out"

Agreed griff..

At this stage it looks to be positive as QLd have put in a 'bid', as opposed to the ARL being 'concerned'.

The NSW opposition harping on abuot it has helped too. I wish the ARL would launch this thing already...its 2007!

Gibbo

Juniors
Coastbloke said:
Yesterday's article mentioned Newcastle, Townsville, Canberra, Melbourne and Perth as match venues.....

I wrote to the Sports Ministers in Canberra and the States just after Christmas. No one ever answered, but Sandra Nori mentioned that the NSW Govt will have talks with the ARL soon...

When you get a chance, Sandra, can you just give me a reply to my letter. Ta...:)

Did exactly the same-no reply. Was a bit dirty about it to, considering i would pretty much gurantee my vote in the upcoming federal election to the side who promised to do the most for the WC

Gibbo

Juniors
Has someone rang Raaaay Hadley yet? Get that big mouthed boof-head to start an inter city slanging match and we could be on to something

Gibbo said:
Has someone rang Raaaay Hadley yet? Get that big mouthed boof-head to start an inter city slanging match and we could be on to something

Good idea...as much as I hate him.

Though of course he would probably let it degenerate into some sort of slanging match on the quality of international footy

hgfds

Juniors
Could this mean that the rlif can afford a 12 teamwc??certainly would be a blow for rl if wales,ireland or lebanon didnt makle the cut.

bender

Juniors
hgfds said:
Could this mean that the rlif can afford a 12 teamwc??certainly would be a blow for rl if wales,ireland or lebanon didnt makle the cut.

Why would it be a blow if other teams were better than them and they were not good enough to make the world cup?

It would be a much bigger blow if they lost the qualifiers and the rules were suddenly changed to allow them an undeserved shot at the world cup.

griff

Bench
bender said:
Why would it be a blow if other teams were better than them and they were not good enough to make the world cup?

It would be a much bigger blow if they lost the qualifiers and the rules were suddenly changed to allow them an undeserved shot at the world cup.

by that logic you could have a 3 team WC and France and PNG would miss out but it would not be a blow because "they were not good enough to make the world cup".

bender

Juniors
griff said:
by that logic you could have a 3 team WC and France and PNG would miss out but it would not be a blow because "they were not good enough to make the world cup".

The World Cup has already Started!

What if the tri series decided just before the Grand final this year, that they should elevate PNG or France to the Grand Final because they had a sponsor that would pay for it? Or if England were promoted ahead of NZ because it would be a blow for them if they werent in the finals even if they werent good enough. That is exactly what you are suggesting.

People need to start realising that Wales, Ireland, Lebannon, USA, Cook Islands, Holland, Russia etc have all been part of the world cup. The Finals tournament is the Second Round, not the first. IMO, the qualifying rounds are more important to the development of the cup and the game in developing nations that the WC finals have ever been. The only advantage of the actual finals to overseas development is that it has long term potential to create a profit that can be used to develop the game internationally. Realistically, most of the development nations cannot compete with the big 3 in the finals, without imports and are 10 years from doing so. The qualifiers are where they get their proper competition from.

All in all, it is a massive blow for the WC credibility if the rules are changed halfway through the tournament, just because some unexpected nations stepped up to the plate and proved they were better than some other minor nations who might have a bright future in the game.

Quidgybo

Bench
AAP said:
Beatie wants league World Cup final
March 4, 2007

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has met with rugby league chiefs to discuss a proposal for Brisbane to host the 2008 Rugby League World Cup final.

Mr Beattie said a meeting with ARL chairman Colin Love last Friday in Sydney was "very productive."

"From our point of view we regard the Rugby World Cup as about jobs for Queenslanders," he said.

"And I think Suncorp (Stadium), which is regarded as the best rugby league ground in the world, should be the ... host for the final of the Rugby League World Cup."

Mr Beattie said a negotiating team had been established to ensure Brisbane clinched the event.

"The negotiations were very productive and obviously we'll do more," he said.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Beattie-wants-league-World-Cup-final/2007/03/04/1172943264690.html

cuchullainuk

Juniors
Personally i think although the tri nations have been fairly evenly fought a brit win this year would do wonders for wc publicity.The attendances compared to yawnion are quite frankly sh*te for such a great sport,the trouble is APATHY .Apathy with the same expected result you Ozzies are sat in expectation of a wc win,so the mystery is taken away in the sh*te code of rugby one of 5,6,7 are in with more than a reasonable chance of at least making the final.For me a brit win in this years tri nations would set the platform for a revenge mission thus more fans simple as.I am quite certain the yawnion code has had its own mass national stage hypnotist working for years convincing people "You will like union,you will also attend a union game,you will now stop going to internnational league games and only ever attend international union games".God knows what league needs i havent a damm clue what the x factor is, surely it doesnt take a statistician to extrapilate the evidence.By a miraculous quirk of nature a powerful France and a surprise from the Pacfic nations may do it God help our fantastic game.

cuchullainuk

Juniors
OH (said as the only noise is a deafening pin drops on my floor).........pregnant pause anyway i stand by the rest of what i said,say,purport lolsilent rustle of fallen leaves
roughyedspud said:
theres no tri-nations this year:sarcasm:

Quidgybo

Bench
roughyedspud said:
theres no tri-nations this year:sarcasm:
It's as if they'd put Origin on ice for a couple years just as it was taking off. Bloody stupid.

Leigh.

ali

Bench
cuchullainuk said:
God knows what league needs i havent a damm clue what the x factor is, surely it doesnt take a statistician to extrapilate the evidence

As a statistician, maybe I'll give that a go.

Believe me, I've tried everything else.

Latest posts