What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Murrayfield Magic

bartman

Immortal
Interesting...

Guess it's a given that Celtic Crusaders will be in SL now, for them to shift it from Cardiff.

Could we see a long term plan for a Scottish club to work their way into the National leagures next I wonder?

dumb move.

with crusaders in SL, all the more reason to keep it there to help promote the club.

people speak well of cardiff.

as scotland dont have a team looking at SL entry, whats the point

jim_57

Staff member
I think they should have held off until Celtic played 1 Millenium Magic game. Would give the locals a massive event finishing with the main event, the home town boys (sort of) V Catalans.

I personally don't see with 7 games a wekk next year they couldn't play 3 in one city 4 in the other.

From the BBC article it sounds like the Scottish RU will be more active in promoting the event...

Presuming SL is coming to South Wales, it's time to move the caravan onto virgin territory. Perhaps we'll be seeing Edinburgh Eagles making their way up the pyramind?

Good news.

:thumn

roughyedspud

Coach
i'll say it now and i've said it before...scottish RL need edinburgh eagles in the national leagues.....

if this does'nt happen whats the point of taking MM to murryfield...especially since it's likely that celtic crusaders are gonna be in super league next year..celtic crusaders @ MM @ the millenium stadium could have been massive...

hopefully the RFL know what they are doing?

bartman

Immortal
They're definitely walking away from what could have been a big payday and promotional goldmine with Celtic playing the big stadium in a Super League match/weekend... they must have a plan to replicate in Scotland, but perhaps have made their move a year too soon?

i'll say it now and i've said it before...scottish RL need edinburgh eagles in the national leagues.....

if this does'nt happen whats the point of taking MM to murryfield...especially since it's likely that celtic crusaders are gonna be in super league next year..celtic crusaders @ MM @ the millenium stadium could have been massive...

hopefully the RFL know what they are doing?

exactly.

Unless the Scottish RL and the RFL have some big plans I can't see this being of much use to expansion. The vast majority of the work being done in Scotland isn't even in Edinburgh. Cardiff would have been huge with the Crusaders there. They could have even had them play in the Friday night against Quins with the other games to follow on the Saturday and Sunday. They would have got a huge crowd and it would have been an extra stand-alone event to start the whole weekend.

nadera78

Juniors
The magic weekend is only partly about expansion. Just as important is the fact that it provides another of the events that the media and sponsors so enjoy. In fact, the only time we ever get any media attention is when we have some sort of 'special' going on, they ignore us during the regular season. The Grand Final, Challenge Cup Final, WCC, England games and Magic Weekend are the sort of things that get us noticed and bring in the corporate dollars.

dentonblue

Juniors
The magic weekend is only partly about expansion. Just as important is the fact that it provides another of the events that the media and sponsors so enjoy.

Agree.

Also it should be recognised that the Millenium weekend was heavily subsidised by the Welsh tourist board to bring punters into Cardiff for the weekend, so maybe they weren't willing to continue supporting it at the same level.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Dentonblue, the event only happened to start with because the Welsh tourist board and Millennium Stadium paid the RFL 1 million pounds. Presumably there has been a better offer from Murrayfield, also last year the Millennium Stadium didn't promote the event too well and all the hotels in the area hiked their prices up for the weekend, some even doubling them.

stormtragic

Juniors
verifies what we all know, Celtic are getting a Licence..

I would love to see Magic weekend taken all over the place, Birmingham, london, Newcastle, Dublin - spread the gospel in one weekend.