What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Must read article -

Utey

Coach
OUR performance last week brought us a lot of criticism and, while it was deserved, it's always tough. We always knew it was a short turnaround, which meant the chance to move quickly past the Roosters game and focus on last night's game against Cronulla.
There was a lot of focus on Johnny Mannah, and the trophy we played for last night.
Paul Gallen had been tremendous all week helping promote the game. He drove to Parramatta to have his photo taken with John's brother, Tim, has been available for every interview, and when his media commitments were over we sat down in my office and had a chat that made us both realise that football is just football.
With all the trouble both clubs have been enduring in recent times, that trophy brought something we needed. Perspective.

The game, the media and both clubs were remarkable with their care and compassion for the Mannah family during the preparation, which was always treated as a celebration of Johnny's life.
There were dozens and dozens of the Mannah family there last night. Before the game, Tim was presented with a tribute jumper for his brother, as all the players were.
The emotional build-up was special. Not over the top, just honest. It brought me back to a big part of our preparation during the week, when Jimmy Cassidy dropped by at training last Friday morning.
He's ridden champions like Might And Power, won all the big races, 97 Group 1 winners, and knows what it's like to be on top. But he also knows the other side as well.
He talked to the boys about getting through the good times with humility.
And he talked about the tough times and how that reveals true character.
"Leave the negativity at the front door," he told them. "This is when you find out how tough your character is."
We talk about qualities like that so much in our game it sometimes loses its meaning. But when a fighter like the Pumper takes you through some of his tough times, and you watch him adding to his Group 1 tally, you realise they're not hollow words.
I've said before that Johnny Mannah was the most inspirational person I knew, given the pain and fatigue I'd seen him train through.
Three minutes before we ran out last night, the moment having come, I asked the players that if they couldn't put their own interests aside and come to terms with their own pain and fatigue for one game, and do that for their mate Timmy on a night so important to him, then we weren't being true to ourselves.
We're against it at Parra, but we're learning to be fighters.

We've heard it all before from just about every head coach since Smith, but last night was bloody gritty. Sharks didn't throw much at us, but it took a whole lot of determination to close out the game. I thought this article was a good one and puts it all into perspective.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n-under-the-pump/story-e6frext9-1226614047328

Kornstar

Coach
My wife and daughter (first game) came last night so couldn't sit in my usual ST Thornett Stand seat, so we sat on the South hill directly behind the goal posts.

In the last 20 Cronulla threw the most they had at us out of the entire game and every time a gap opened up (sometimes massive gaps too), one of the boys closed it quick and shut them out! It was a different team, they were playing for each other......not sure they will be consistent throughout the year BUT, they did it for Johnny and that is all that mattered last night........

Pazza

First Grade
I'd love to see the team play with 80% of that passion and commitment week to week!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Great read, thanks for that Utey, had a tear in my at the start and after the game. It was a tough gritty win by the boys led by Timmy.

Avenger

Immortal
Yep, perspective is what all of us need. As you get older you seem to gain that bit more.

eels81236

Bench
Just like the manly game early last year, we aren't as good as other teams but if we run harder, tackle harder and try harder than the opposition then we will go ok.
Just like the manly game early last year, if we don't run harder, tackle harder and try harder than the opposition next week then the cronulla game only asks more questions than it answers.

strider

Post Whore
Just like the manly game early last year, we aren't as good as other teams but if we run harder, tackle harder and try harder than the opposition then we will go ok.
Just like the manly game early last year, if we don't run harder, tackle harder and try harder than the opposition next week then the cronulla game only asks more questions than it answers.

what about if we:
- try harder
- tackled harder
- but don't run harder

:-s

Bigfella

Coach
Good play by sticky to get gal in for a chat about how footy isn't that big a deal just before we play them

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Ricky WILL get the best out of his squad - but we need to remember that we have a very young and inexperienced team. The talent is there for the most part, but it wouldn't surprise me if we play against the Titans next week the same way we played against the Roosters (and that's not a go at the team; rather, I am trying to show how youthful the side is, and is often the go with youth, inexperience and rash decisions rear their heads).

I think Ricky is going to do a great job for us, but we have to be patient and believe in him. And also the team. And I, for one, do.

Latest posts