What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 1-17 To Start The Season

kit66

Bench
That would be my team, except Molo starts in place of Woods and Mbye in for Kerr.

Molo looked lost and overwhelmed starting against Parra and was part of the reason Parra racked up early points.
Lawrie on the other hand was a dynamo in his start against the Bunnies and gets the 8 jersey for mine. Molo can come off the bench, earn some respect and it'll make him hungry too. The pressure's on for those guys to get a start each week.

randomdragon

Juniors
A first up game against a big tough pack will be a fitting challenge to test our new blokes. I'd like to see a no nonsense bench that can come on and overrun the Warriors pack. No room for a bench utility like Mbye as Bird can cover 1-7 and Hunt can go to Hooker if need be.

1. Sloan
2. Ramsey - I've been critical of Cody but he's been one of our best in the trials.
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Hunt

8. Woods
9. McCullough
10 Lawrie
11. Bird
12. Sua
13. JDB

14. Molo
15. Burgess
16. Sims
17. Kerr
with all due respect don't think McCullough can play 80, I want mbye coming on and causing havoc off a George Burgess quick play the ball - also don't want to ruin the combinations with hunt moving to hooker, agree with your team besides mbye in for Kerr.

slippery5

Juniors
This guy has to be the most sluggish hooker the club has ever had. Adds precisely zilch in attack. Beyond me how we exchanged McGuiness for this plod.
McCullogh will be Norman's heir apparent to hold his spot no matter what. Especially if we spring a few wins together

BLM01

First Grade
This guy has to be the most sluggish hooker the club has ever had. Adds precisely zilch in attack. Beyond me how we exchanged McGuiness for this plod.
We did not exchange Cam for Andrew. Cam had already done a deal.
We just had to go out and find a reasonably cheap hooker to replace him for cap and future planning reasons. Maybe not the best choice but he can guide the next gen through
Besides Cam is not playing 9 anymore

kit66

Bench
McCullogh will be Norman's heir apparent to hold his spot no matter what. Especially if we spring a few wins together

That's an unfair comparison. McCullough is a much better player than Norman and we're pretty lucky to have him to be honest, we'd be a lesser team without him. Mbye, McGuire and Bud aren't hookers for a start and there's no-one else available (apart from Hunt and that's a last resort). Mulheisen is a kid and will come through over the next year or two, no need to rush him.
McCullough may run on old legs and not be the best hooker out there but he is a very experienced campaigner. Some time this year he'll play his 300th game and that's gotta count for something. Some people seem to think all a hooker has to do is give quick ball and tackle like a Trojan but there's so much more to the position. A hooker has to lead his pack around, tell them when and where to run, he has to select who to pass to in an instant, has to give his halves good ball when they want it. Same in defence, he has to lead by example and guide his pack. Imagine how much muscle memory and experience in a thousand situations McCullough has stored up. Then there's his combination with Hunt, so important.
He may struggle to play 80 minutes a game or even get through the whole season but you know he'll do his best, he's a professional, anyone can see that. Hook will help him out and use other options in a supporting role but he's the best we've got and he won't let us down. This may be his last year, even though he's signed until 2023 so he'll be aiming high. I reckon we should all be throwing our support behind him 100% and wishing him all the best for 2022.
That's a famous jersey he's wearing and I think he knows that and wants to do it proud. Go son !

That's an unfair comparison. McCullough is a much better player than Norman and we're pretty lucky to have him to be honest, we'd be a lesser team without him. Mbye, McGuire and Bud aren't hookers for a start and there's no-one else available (apart from Hunt and that's a last resort). Mulheisen is a kid and will come through over the next year or two, no need to rush him.
McCullough may run on old legs and not be the best hooker out there but he is a very experienced campaigner. Some time this year he'll play his 300th game and that's gotta count for something. Some people seem to think all a hooker has to do is give quick ball and tackle like a Trojan but there's so much more to the position. A hooker has to lead his pack around, tell them when and where to run, he has to select who to pass to in an instant, has to give his halves good ball when they want it. Same in defence, he has to lead by example and guide his pack. Imagine how much muscle memory and experience in a thousand situations McCullough has stored up. Then there's his combination with Hunt, so important.
He may struggle to play 80 minutes a game or even get through the whole season but you know he'll do his best, he's a professional, anyone can see that. Hook will help him out and use other options in a supporting role but he's the best we've got and he won't let us down. This may be his last year, even though he's signed until 2023 so he'll be aiming high. I reckon we should all be throwing our support behind him 100% and wishing him all the best for 2022.
That's a famous jersey he's wearing and I think he knows that and wants to do it proud. Go son !
As much as I'd like to see Hunt in the 9 jersey for most of the season, I agree with this assessment of the merits of McCullough.
It should also be remembered that in 2010 Luke Priddis occupied the #9 for the bulk of the season. His best days behind him, perhaps (at 33 years of age) - but his workrate was high and his experience invaluable.

Como Connection

First Grade
A first up game against a big tough pack will be a fitting challenge to test our new blokes. I'd like to see a no nonsense bench that can come on and overrun the Warriors pack. No room for a bench utility like Mbye as Bird can cover 1-7 and Hunt can go to Hooker if need be.

1. Sloan
2. Ramsey - I've been critical of Cody but he's been one of our best in the trials.
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Hunt

8. Woods
9. McCullough
10 Lawrie
11. Bird
12. Sua
13. JDB

14. Molo
15. Burgess
16. Sims
17. Kerr
Big no to Kerr.
CC

BLM01

First Grade
One of my biggest concerns for this year will be our dummy half. Andrew McCullough is 32, he's knocking on the door of 300 games and coming off yet another injury last year. I admire anyone who plays that many 1st grade games and his bravery in defence is commendable, but i honestly think the game has passed him by now. Without being rude he is slower than a wet weekend, has very little line speed in defence and his service from dummy half, to be honest, isn't great either.

I truly think we are starting behind the eight ball with a hooker that isn't capable of capitalising on any momentum that we might gain via the forwards.

The game has really changed with the new rules. It's all about gaining momentum and capitalising on it. He doesn't seem to have a longer passing game. Watch hookers like Reed Mahoney and his ability to see where the opposition are short on numbers and he can quickly get the ball wide with a long accurate pass. Good lateral movement is needed as well, to be able to move sideways and engage the markers before passing. But if we are able to get a good role on through the forwards, you need a dummy half who can recognise that and be able to play off the back of it with speed of the mark and creativity to keep the momentum going. I don't think McCullough can do that anymore.

I thought in last weeks trial we looked better when Muhleisen came on and last year, when Bud, who is a makeshift hooker at best came on, we looked to have more spark then as well.

If i was coach i'd seriously be considering playing Mbye there. Mbye probably makes the ideal bench utility, with him being able to cover multiple positions, but i just think we need more speed around the dummy half area and maybe he could provide that. But this won't happen as i think our coach is a big fan of McCullough's. I know some people have commented that it's McCullough that has brought the best out in Hunt's game but, in my opinion, it has nothing to do with him. I think Hunt's good form last year was down to his relationship with Hook. I think Hunt greatly admires our coach and wants to play for him. And we all know how stale things had gotten under the previous coach and this probably affected Hunt's form as well.

I just think the game has passed McCullough by now. And the thought that he is still on the books for next year as well makes me shudder. I truly hope he is not running out next year in round 1 for us, because if that's the case, we will well and truly be up shit creek.
Agree in part re McCulloch getting long in the tooth for the attack part of the game.
I think Hunt is shining cause it is his team now and he loves the captaincy and leading by example.. well trying anyway

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
1-17 Lets see Hmmm

1 Sloan
2 M Feagai
3 Suli
4 Lomax
5 Ravalawa
6 Amone
7 Hunt
8 Woods
9 McCullough
10 Molo
11 Su'a
12 Bird
13 JDB
14 Sullivan/Mby
15 Sims
16 Burgess
17 Lawrie
We need an 18 for HIA issues.

Could you include me?

redv13

Bench
Same crap year after year with Kerr. Has to be on his absolute last legs at the club. Will be darn lucky If he’s in the 17 in my opinion. Doesn’t deserve a spot and I can see him heading to the Dolphins

slippery5

Juniors
You may have some points, however, we don't want to drag him along just so he can play his 300th game..
I thought Sullivan handled the job adequately with a bit more flair.

Trifili13

Juniors
Macca might not be the most flashiest of hookers but he gets the job done and I think we have enough other ball players in the team. Some people point to Hunt playing hooker in SOO and winning MOTM but that is 1 game or Sullivan having a couple of cameo roles last year. Would Hunt or Sullivan cope with a full season at hooker and having to make 40+ tackles every week against big bodies and still have the same spark in attack? Happy for them to step in to give Macca a breather during a game but don't think they should be there permanently.

possm

Coach
Macca might not be the most flashiest of hookers but he gets the job done and I think we have enough other ball players in the team. Some people point to Hunt playing hooker in SOO and winning MOTM but that is 1 game or Sullivan having a couple of cameo roles last year. Would Hunt or Sullivan cope with a full season at hooker and having to make 40+ tackles every week against big bodies and still have the same spark in attack? Happy for them to step in to give Macca a breather during a game but don't think they should be there permanently.
In the past I have supported the idea of Hunt for hooker however, with the squad we have this season, I now have changed my mind for the same reason you posted. We do have enough flair, speed, and ball-playing ability in the 17. McCullough provides very good defense in the middle which is of great value to the team. His experience is something that always contributes positively to a game.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Sullivan has had a minor calf strain which set him back 2 weeks on Amone.
Amone has to be in the side, the pressure will be on Suli to maintain his form & be consistent. A drop in form would see Amone switched to centre & Sullivan at 6 once he’s fully recovered from injury. This also assumes Max Feagai is still unavailable, I feel really bad for Max he was in the mix for starting left centre spot.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Don’t forget McCullough is a very strong defender in the middle he was one of the leading tackler’s in the whole comp in ‘21.

Mulheisen is the obvious heir apparent but he’s at least 12mths away from regular first grade. I’d say both Moose & Mybe would be the next choices should McCullough go down with injury. I don’t think either Hunt or Sullivan will see much dummy half unless there’s a crisis like the final few games of 2021.

kit66

Bench
Don’t forget McCullough is a very strong defender in the middle he was one of the leading tackler’s in the whole comp in ‘21.

Mulheisen is the obvious heir apparent but he’s at least 12mths away from regular first grade. I’d say both Moose & Mybe would be the next choices should McCullough go down with injury. I don’t think either Hunt or Sullivan will see much dummy half unless there’s a crisis like the final few games of 2021.

It can't be McGuire, it just can't, even Mary wouldn't be that stupid.

possm

Coach
Amone has to be in the side, the pressure will be on Suli to maintain his form & be consistent. A drop in form would see Amone switched to centre & Sullivan at 6 once he’s fully recovered from injury. This also assumes Max Feagai is still unavailable, I feel really bad for Max he was in the mix for starting left centre spot.
I'm really happy with a center pairing of Lomax and Suli. I just hope they can maintain form. But isn't great that we now have depth right across the board and we also have a number of players that can fit a number of positions on the field.

What a difference Griffin has made in such a short time.

Latest posts