What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 100 day sugar free challenge.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I started on Friday and currently find it pretty easy, I know it's still early days.

I am just not allowed to have processed or refined sugar or anything with added sugar like lollies and chocolate (my greatest weakness) for 100 days and I've put some stakes on it. I have four cans I put all my loose change in, each represents something I want to buy.

My family also put some money in it and when I pass certain milestones they put in 10, 20, 50, or 100 bucks. If I make the 100 days I get to keep that money and buy the stuff I want. If I fail I have to give it charity.

gUt

Coach
How about naturally occurring fructose eg fruit/honey? there's no real difference metabolically speaking.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Good point. There isn't really a difference in how your body processes them, of course fructose skips a step though. You could also argue there's not a huge difference between sat and unsat fat, they are stored in a triglyceride, in exactly the same way and both can be used to form acetyl coa, the only difference is the double bond and the alleged connection to cholesterol and new studies call this into question.

At the end of the day, I generally don't over do it on fruit, it also contains less toxins, than the sugar used in lollies and chocolate.

some11

Referee
Keep us updated on how you go, I binged on sugary crap since winter started and when I realised a can of coke has 10 teaspoons of sugar in it I basically stopped and now only have sugar in tea or coffee.

Houdini

First Grade
I started on Friday and currently find it pretty easy, I know it's still early days.

I am just not allowed to have processed or refined sugar or anything with added sugar like lollies and chocolate (my greatest weakness) for 100 days and I've put some stakes on it. I have four cans I put all my loose change in, each represents something I want to buy.

My family also put some money in it and when I pass certain milestones they put in 10, 20, 50, or 100 bucks. If I make the 100 days I get to keep that money and buy the stuff I want. If I fail I have to give it charity.
It can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it.

Are you also removing things from your diet such as certain cereals, fruit juices, bbq sauce, flavoured yoghurts, sports drinks, protein bars etc that have sugar added?

Sugar is everywhere and harder to avoid than many might think

Cliffhanger

Coach
Anything with sugar or glucose or fructose syrup added is gone, I don't eat cereals so not issue, yeah all sauces and protein bars with sugar added are gone. I don't drink sports drink. Yoghurt with added sugar is out too.

It is, I suddenly have massive craving for sushi and can't have it lol.

I'm currently doing a similar thing. No adding sugar, no added sugar. No junk food or soft drink. Plus I'm trying to lay off carbs as well. I've gone from 97 kilos down to 91 in two weeks. Of course, I'm not just dieting, I'm also running 20 to 30 k's per week as well but the kilos are just falling off me ATM.

Generalzod

Immortal
Coca Cola is a major issue for me I love the stuff, Unfortunately it adds the kilos, I've made a commitment with the help of my wife to stop drinking the stuff..Its been 2 weeks now that I have been of it..

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I'm currently doing a similar thing. No adding sugar, no added sugar. No junk food or soft drink. Plus I'm trying to lay off carbs as well. I've gone from 97 kilos down to 91 in two weeks. Of course, I'm not just dieting, I'm also running 20 to 30 k's per week as well but the kilos are just falling off me ATM.

What you been eating man, wouldnt mind some of that.

Joker's Wild

Coach
This is what Im doing too, basically just cutting out anything with added refined sugar (chocolate, softdrinks, etc) as they are my biggest weaknesses.

Been doing it for 3 weeks and Ive dropped 5kgs with not much change to my regular exercise routine

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's talk like this of cutting out sugar or carbs that makes me question the sanity of the die hards. What's the point of living to 105 if you're doing it eating lentil soup and quinoa salad?

Cliffhanger

Coach
I steal have lots of meat. But seriously food is fuel. There's a billion other things worth living a long life for.

It'd also not just about living to 100, it's about still being fully functional when you're over 50.

Misanthrope

Staff member
But seriously food is fuel. There's a billion other things worth living a long life for.

Food is fuel, true. But good food is a joy. Bland food is just eating for the sake of eating.

And being able to function after fifty? My parents are pushing sixty and functioning fine.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Personally, im only talking about cutting out obvious sugary stuff, not sugar all together

Im still having beer, just not mars bars and coke

What you been eating man, wouldnt mind some of that.

Apart from dropping sugar and cutting down the carbs, not much has changed. Usually have a few slices of toast or some weet bix for breakfast. Lunch, I generally eat a salad or some subway, if I've been to the gym, I might have some pasta but where I would usually order a large, I drop it back to a small. Dinner again is usually lean meat and salad or meat and veg. If I feel like something with rice, I generally sub quinoa and instead of potato, I eat sweet potato. If I need a snack during the day, I eat fruit or a muesli bar or some yoghurt. Again, when I buy the muesli bars and yoghurt, I look for lowest sugar content I can find. Been drinking nothing but water and tea apart from the odd sugar free red bull if I feel I need a kick in the morning.

I know that doesn't sound great, but at the rate I'm dropping kilos, I may only need to keep it up for another month or so. Honestly though, once you get your head around it and the weight starts dropping off, it gives you a bit of a kick and makes it easier to maintain.