What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Ever Cowboys Match

Harko

Juniors
It was Saturday, January 28 1995 and the venue was Leprechaun Park, Mackay. The North Queensland Cowboys were playing against the Illawarra Steelers in their first every trial match.

I was 12 at the time and up until 1995 was a passionate Broncos supporter but that night changed it all for me.

I watched a Cowboys reserve grade side go around with names such as Justin Loomans, Ian Dunemann, Laurie Spina, George Bartlett, Peter Jones and John Buttigieg running around.

Then in the main event I witnessed a gutsy Cowboys outfit go down at the hands of the Steelers 22-14. Ironically the Cowboys coach at the time was now Queensland Cup winning Young Guns coach Grant Bell and the Steelers coach at the time was now Cowboys coach Graham Murray.

That night was truly something special to me, my father and the other 6,000 who packed the ground to witness the match. The atmosphere was amazing and I was watching the likes of Adrian Vowles, Jason Martin, Martin Bella and now Cowboys trainer Glen Murphy play for the first time.

As I sat on the couch watching the Cowboys grand final qualifier on the weekend I remembered back to that game and thought about just how far the club has come in the years since then as a tear rolled down my cheek.

Since then, Cowboys fans have truly had their loyalty tested with many lows and highs through-out the years.

As Graham Murray said after the game, "This is for every player who has put on a Cowboys jersey."

As Brett Firman crashed over in the first half it reminded me of a similar try scored in that first ever game by Jason Martin. While Martin was not at the club long and Firman has not been here long those tries show what the Cowboys are all about, guts, determination and taking nothing for granted.

Players like Kyle Warren, Adrian Vowles, Laurie Spina and Wayne Sing to name a few will never be forgotten and this weekend they can stand tall knowing they had a part to play in this day.

Now it has all come down to the first Sunday in October, for all those years of torment the Cowboys and their fans have suffered the grand final and winning it is the ultimate reward.

The Cowboys have indeed come a long way and their are many fans who have been there from the start and this week is a huge week for them.

When the boys run on the field this weekend I will find myself going through many emotions but the biggest one will be pride. When a lot of people wrote the team off they stuck together and come out better for it.

All the best this weekend boys, I know you can do it and I am not the only one as there will be thousands of Cowboys fans world wide cheering for you to get over the line.

All you guys deserve a pat on the back Peter Parr, Neil Henry, Glen Murphy, Billy Johnstone, Graham Murray, Kelly Egan and all the support staff as well as all the players weather you are just in the squad or get to run out on the field for the game and I am talking about Matthew Scott, Jacob Lillyman and Brenton Bowen and at the end of the day win, lose or draw you boys have done all us fans mighty proud and will always be our team.

choc_soldier

Coach
Wo-hoa! Outstanding reading there. The Cowboys fans definitely have a lot to be proud of at the moment. Enjoy every moment of it... :)

Harko

Juniors
Several papers have given this a run as well as websites so I am very proud every one can see how I feel about the boys first hand. Interesting that this site has totally ignored it!

Good on ya Harko. Nice work.

I can remember that trial match. There's a similarity in our two clubs as well. We had almost a decade of no finals and fell short of the big one in our 11th season under Graham Murray (and we finished roughly on the ladder where you guys did last year in our 10th).

Hopefully the similarity ends there and you go all the way this year and there's no 2nd Super League to stuff ya's up. All the best, looking forward to seeing Murray's men hold aloft that trophy.

Go Cowboys!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Harko said:
Several papers have given this a run as well as websites so I am very proud every one can see how I feel about the boys first hand. Interesting that this site has totally ignored it!
You've exercised some free will and posted it here, so why the gripe?

We get lots of emails and try to give everyone an airing. But the editors can't possibly publish every opinion piece that comes in. Especially this week with grand final features coming through from our regular writers - ie articles that were planned for some time ago.

It looks great on the forums Harko and imo, is well suited to forum discussion. And if I may suggest, you should give the F7s a look in.

dhurga

Juniors
well harko you have sniffed around ..sniffed around and sniffed a..around ..got your name in the paper for being the biggest no# one charlie and the chocolate factory person ever...you run with the fox and hunt with the hound to get your stuff to sell on ebay ...truth is mate all you care about is U

dhurga

Juniors
elyod138 said:
I think you should have another beer and go to bed dhurga....

poor poor elywho...haven't even started to celebrate ..just got in from work.

you and your c'bees girl friends probably need a few beers after that game...and beside I drink bundy op!

Harko

Juniors
Your an odd man! Of course I care about myself, if I don't no one else will but to say I do not care about anyone else is crap! Truth is u do not know me and really whats your point?

Harko

Juniors
That your a moron and if you must know the profit from the e bay store does not go to myself.