What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My theory on why Parramatta haven't won a Premiership since 1986

Milhouse2020

Juniors
I have a theory on why Parramatta haven't won a Premiership since 1986. Some people may think this theory is a little far-fetched, but work with me on this.

I believe the Eels may be under a curse similar to " The Curse of the Colonel". "The Curse of the Colonel" is a sports curse was placed on the Japanese Hanshin Tigers baseball team by the ghost of the KFC founder and mascot Colonel Sanders.

The curse was said to be placed on the team because of the Colonel's anger over treatment of one of his store-front statues, which was thrown into the Dōtonbori River by Hanshin fans before their team's 1985 Central League pennant. This act angered Colonel Sanders, who proceeded to curse the Hanshin Tigers until 2023. It was in that year the statue of Colonel Sanders was recovered from the Dotonbori river. Colonel Sanders, in his infinite glory, not only lifted the curse, he also blessed the Hanshin Tigers with their first Championship in 38 years.

My theory is that Parramatta fans must have done something either at the SCG or Parramatta which has resulted in a curse being placed on them. Until that thing is identified and rectified, the Eels will suffer years of Rugby League mediocrity.

Are there any Parramatta fans who were at the SCG or in Parramatta in 1986 who could shed some light on what the Eels fans did?

Avenger

Immortal
I have a theory on why Parramatta haven't won a Premiership since 1986. Some people may think this theory is a little far-fetched, but work with me on this.

I believe the Eels may be under a curse similar to " The Curse of the Colonel". "The Curse of the Colonel" is a sports curse was placed on the Japanese Hanshin Tigers baseball team by the ghost of the KFC founder and mascot Colonel Sanders.

The curse was said to be placed on the team because of the Colonel's anger over treatment of one of his store-front statues, which was thrown into the Dōtonbori River by Hanshin fans before their team's 1985 Central League pennant. This act angered Colonel Sanders, who proceeded to curse the Hanshin Tigers until 2023. It was in that year the statue of Colonel Sanders was recovered from the Dotonbori river. Colonel Sanders, in his infinite glory, not only lifted the curse, he also blessed the Hanshin Tigers with their first Championship in 38 years.

My theory is that Parramatta fans must have done something either at the SCG or Parramatta which has resulted in a curse being placed on them. Until that thing is identified and rectified, the Eels will suffer years of Rugby League mediocrity.

Are there any Parramatta fans who were at the SCG or in Parramatta in 1986 who could shed some light on what the Eels fans did?
There was a statue of an aboriginal man or similar that was removed from the front of the Leagues Club in 1987. I remember reading that somewhere.

Gronk

Staff member
There was a statue of an aboriginal man or similar that was removed from the front of the Leagues Club in 1987. I remember reading that somewhere.
I can add to that. In the 1980's grand finals , we had a long eel on wheels that was 20m long and and round as a VW beetle. It had a wire frame and was covered in cloth. Along side the eel, we had white teenagers in budgie smugglers, blackfaced from head to toe carrying spears.

If there is a curse, then that's where it started.

Gronk

Staff member
An even better theory

We should of won it in 2001 and 2005 but choked.
We where the best side in 2009 bar a team rorting the cap
We've had a peanut in charge for the last 11yrs.
You forgot 2022. We were beaten by a three peat (and possibly four and five peat) team.

hindy111

Post Whore
You forgot 2022. We were beaten by a three peat (and possibly four and five peat) team.

It was the best of Penrith side over the last 5 season for sure.
We pushed their 2021 side and would of gotten closer to their 2023. Not saying we beat them. Id say we would beat their 2024 side however they aren't my tip to take it out. Rooster win it

King-Gutho94

Coach
Just a case of bad luck, lack of resources, throw in some shit coaching & recruitment and some selfish individuals who ran the front office.

1999 & 2005 were the 2 years we should have won.

We were the best team leading into Prelim Weekend in both those seasons and completely shat the bed.

hindy111

Post Whore
Just a case of bad luck, lack of resources, throw in some shit coaching & recruitment and some selfish individuals who ran the front office.

1999 & 2005 were the 2 years we should have won.

We were the best team leading into Prelim Weekend in both those seasons and completely shat the bed.

2001. Broke all records and heavy favourites.

King-Gutho94

Coach
2001. Broke all records and heavy favourites.
They actually had the 2001 GF on Fox League the other day to bring back some more nightmares.

When you look at the two teams - Newcastle had more quality across the park. Joey missed 8 games that year which probably cost them the Minor Premiership.

Joey played 21 games - Knights won 17, Lost 3 and Drew 1 that year.

He was at his peak and they only scored 8 less tries then us all season.

Going through the team lists i reckon Newcastle had more quality against the opposition number.

And the quality we had probably was negated by who the knights had

Key examples
Tahu over Burt
Lyon/Gidley on Par at the time Lyon was only 19 - Gidley was a NSW/Australian Centre
Hughes over Vaealiki
MacDougall over Moodie
Johns over Taylor
Buderus over Drew
Kennedy over Ian Hindmarsh

1719981508585.png

Milhouse2020

Juniors
They actually had the 2001 GF on Fox League the other day to bring back some more nightmares.

When you look at the two teams - Newcastle had more quality across the park. Joey missed 8 games that year which probably cost them the Minor Premiership.

Going through the team lists i reckon Newcastle had more quality against the opposition number.

Key examples
Tahu over Burt
Lyon/Gidley on Par at the time Lyon was only 19 - Gidley was a NSW/Australian Centre
Hughes over Vaealiki
MacDougall over Moodie
Johns over Taylor
Buderus over Drew

View attachment 90542

They may have been the better side, however there's no denying the Eels may be under a sports curse. Which is why I made this post.

hindy111

Post Whore
As an intersectional feminist I am convinced our relative failure is due to the intersection of resources and luck. But as a thickshit footy fan I’m inclined to blame everyone involved in running the club at this very moment.

No. Also timing and injuries.
In 2017 ( our best side under BA) we went down to the Storm 18-16.
We where missing Gutherson,Bevan and Hoffman. W.Smith and Auuvua played. I'd suggest had 2/3 of those been there and fit we win thst game. From there we are a chance to take it out. Of all years we had to lose our fullback and 2 back up fullbacks and Hoffman who would of been 3rd choice. It meant W.Smith who was playing great as a interchange hooker couldn't give C.King a rest.

In 2022 our 2nd best side in the last 15yrs we come up against what I'd call one of the best sides ever. 11 of these guys either now have played origin or if not for countries of birth would of.

Edwards
Too
Crighton
Cleary
Luai
Korisau
JFH
Yeo
Martin
Kikau
Spencer

And the 6 that's haven't included
Tago,Sorrenson,Kenny,Leota who are all above average.

The only below average NRL players where Salmon,Staines.

Had we had our 2022 side this year we would of been a serious shot.

hindy111

Post Whore

Key examples
Tahu over Burt
Hughes over Vaealiki
MacDougall over Moodie
Johns over Taylor
Buderus over Drew

View attachment 90542

That's fine to look back at players names and say well they had better names but on form Brad Drew was the best hooker in game that year. Solomona was a dam weapon. J.Taylor and Buetner had ripper years and the team just gelled. Smith had them playing footy nobody had seen before. They shit the bed.
Had A.Ryan scored and made it 14-6 we win.

If the game went another 10mins we win. We woke up and the nerves where gone at the 60th minute. We choked no doubts

Milhouse2020

Juniors
That's fine to look back at players names and say well they had better names but on form Brad Drew was the best hooker in game that year. Solomona was a dam weapon. J.Taylor and Buetner had ripper years and the team just gelled. Smith had them playing footy nobody had seen before. They shit the bed.
Had A.Ryan scored and made it 14-6 we win.

If the game went another 10mins we win. We woke up and the nerves where gone at the 60th minute. We choked no doubts

And why did you choke? IMHO, it's because Parramatta is under a Sports curse. Furthermore, I believe the answer lies in what the Eels fans did that day.

hindy111

Post Whore
They scored 3 tries in 20 mins. We where stunned.
The final 20 mins was 24-6 to the Eels. I dont even think we needed 10mins more to win it. We where coming home thwt fast id say 6 or 7 mins would of done it.