What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Top Five Fullbacks in the Game

Honourable Mentions: Ben Barba (Bulldogs), Michael Gordon (Panthers), Matt Bowen (Cowboys) (In order of descending interested to ascending interest)

5. Nathan Gardner (Cronulla)
One remembers those 100m try against the Roosters & Panthers where he picked up a loose ball and ran the length untouched swirving like a race car in a racetrack through the entire opposition, Still has alot to learn but I see alot of Billy Slater in him and I got to wrap his positional play which is very experienced and slick for a kid of his age and limited first grade appearances. Was the form fullback early in the season and was my pick for the NSW No.1 jumper, Think he has to reduce his error count though.
Josh Dugan (Canberra)
Another youngster star from Toyota Cup like Gardner above; Really hit the scene in 2009 and was unlucky not to receive Rookie of the Year instead of Canterbury's Jamal Idris from then on he has really reached NRL heights. I believe he is the NRL's most agilest player though not the quickest, He is one of the hardest players to tackle and that's why it reflects in his runs and metres stats, great support player and is equally impressive with his positional play, Usually very safe under the high ball but his tackling efficiency is down on previous years though injuries have riddled him.
Brett Stewart (Manly)
The best finisher in the game and probably one of the best hands in the game, Coming back from a tall ordeal and injury he has taken time to hit his straps but while form is temporary, class is permanent. Quickest fullback over 40 and probably over 100 as well, His support play is 2nd to none in the comp once he hits his accelerator and has a tendency to have quick hands to keep an attacking play going, The only thing of Stewart i can fault is his ball playing ability, He has good hands yes but he isn't a noted passer a link man to Manly, He merely is a brilliant finisher and can support his playmakers but not to the extent he could.
Darius Boyd (Dragons) Dally M Fullback of the Year says it all really; Has a great all round game and his ball playing has improved out of sight, Good finisher and is 2nd to Billy Slater in linking, Good defender and good positional in D, Very complete player. I think his lack of try-scoring form last year doesn't hinder my opinion of him as a player just goes to show how un-selfish he is and he plays the man not himself and always goes for the best option.
Billy Slater (Storm)
Incumbent Queensland & Australian fullback and has been for some time. I believe Billy typifies what a fullback is all about in a defensive aspect but is seen as a rogue five-eighth in attack, His ability to defuse situations is something I see as such an amazing ability and is safe under the high ball, Generally is good in defence but with a small frame he is likely to struggle one-on one at times, His attacking possession is support player, having all round ball skills and ability to link with his halves and his outside men, Doesn't necessarily offer the stereotypical kick returning aspect of a fullback but I think he was the 2nd most powerful presence for Storm's Ill-fated success to Cameron Smith who i rate as the best player in the game.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
I agree he's a gun. Absolute gun.

I'd play him at fullback and move Coote to 6.

A lot of Penrith fans would like to see this happen including myself, though there is big concerns about carrying Walsh and Coote in the frontline defense.

firechild

First Grade
The only thing of Stewart i can fault is his ball playing ability, He has good hands yes but he isn't a noted passer a link man to Manly, He merely is a brilliant finisher and can support his playmakers but not to the extent he could.

Lucky for you Manly will be playing on channel 9 for the next few weeks so you might get a chance to watch Stewart play. Stewart is an integral part of the sweeping moves on both the right and left sides. On the right he often links with his brother, on the left his combination with Matai and Robertson has seen the latter cross the line on many occasions. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/player-profile?playerid=108444&teamid=3492 This link shows that for every game where the stats are available Stewart has at least 1 try assist with 1 exception, the game against Canberra, where he scored 3 of the 4 tries on the night.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Lucky for you Manly will be playing on channel 9 for the next few weeks so you might get a chance to watch Stewart play. Stewart is an integral part of the sweeping moves on both the right and left sides. On the right he often links with his brother, on the left his combination with Matai and Robertson has seen the latter cross the line on many occasions. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/player-profile?playerid=108444&teamid=3492 This link shows that for every game where the stats are available Stewart has at least 1 try assist with 1 exception, the game against Canberra, where he scored 3 of the 4 tries on the night.

I rate a fully fit Brett Stewart as every bit the equal of Billy Slater.

The guy is a freak.

Panfas

Juniors
I just dont get the fascination about Gardiner. IMO he would not be anywhere near the top 5

The reason I didn't have him in there is because he is only a part-time fullback at the moment and he hasn't played alot of games there but he looks like an incredible prospect there.

Gardener has only played 30 FG games total though , you have him there.

Dont know the exact figure but gordon would have played around 15-20 games at FB with all the footy coote has missed in the last 2 years.

hutch

First Grade
Anyone who thinks hayne isn't within the top 5 fullbacks in the NRL is clueless. I absolutely hate parramatta but he is definately within the top 5!

user_nat

Coach
Hoffman > Gardner in my biased opinion.

Almost every club has a great fullback though. Sometimes even more than one.

Anyone who thinks hayne isn't within the top 5 fullbacks in the NRL is clueless. I absolutely hate parramatta but he is definately within the top 5!

In a fullbacks capacity he is outside of my Top 8! He is NOT a fullback, The only thing clueless about this is his defense, Cannot read a book and Cannot position himself at the back plus is a pretty bad tackler.

Latest posts