What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery new club in bid for Tuqiri

philstorm

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21358028-23214,00.html

Mystery bid for Tuqiri
By Peter Badel
March 11, 2007

LOTE Tuqiri confirmed a mystery NRL club has entered the fight for his signature, alongside the favourite to land it, South Sydney.

"There's one more NRL club and I can't disclose their name," he said. "This club is definitely in with a chance."

While rugby's offer will prove difficult to resist, the Rabbitohs are a major player.

Souths co-owner Peter Holmes a Court is reportedly poised to table a five-year deal worth an estimated $800,000 a season.

Asked if the assistance of Channel 9 had given the Rabbitohs the financial muscle to lure Tuqiri, Holmes a Court said: "I think it has. Rugby on one level has financial muscle but the opportunities outside football to develop Lote's profile are greater in the NRL.

"We've moved heaven and earth to make sure Lote can see the opportunities that exist at the Rabbitohs."

Tuqiri said the Rabbitohs were right in the hunt but had yet to disclose financial terms.

"Souths are a definite option. Peter has impressed me," he said.

In other news, who f**king cares any more? I hope both Souths and Yawnion withdraw their offers leaving Tuqiri to play marbles next year for South Coogee.

mark123

Juniors
This has to be crap right?

I think it was a made up story to keep the inuendo and the "who will he sign for?" questions in peoples minds until monday 5pm....

because sharks pulled out and its only souths and aru left.

And hes been to NO other clubs on a visit, i dont even think he went to sharks.

then again, even so, i could be shocked....because i beleive the story is a fake

:) If what he said about the ARU management is true, i believe he will goto league.

well im all for souths signing lote , but if they give him 800K that'll do me.

500k is about the mark , 800k is just plain silly.

Stranger

Coach
Asked if the assistance of Channel 9 had given the Rabbitohs the financial muscle to lure Tuqiri, Holmes a Court said: "I think it has. Rugby on one level has financial muscle but the opportunities outside football to develop Lote's profile are greater in the NRL.
Holmes a court Definitely found a loop hole in the Salary cap.

badav

Bench
As a broncos supporter, all i can say is i hope its not the broncos. Other than that, i couldnt care less. But the tactics that players and managers are resorting to these days just to milk money from clubs/codes is just ridiculous.

BrisVegas

Juniors
The mystery club is likely the Broncos.

Souths shore up Tuqiri deal

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21355040-23217,00.html

SOUTH Sydney co-owner Peter Holmes a Court yesterday secured the backing of the game's broadcaster, Channel Nine, before the Rabbitohs made an offer to Lote Tuqiri.

Channel Nine has previously helped prevent NRL stars from switching codes, offering television deals to Newcastle's Andrew Johns and St George-Illawarra's Mark Gasnier.

Nine network chief executive Eddie McGuire said the broadcaster was always open to prospective talent, but it wouldn't wave an open chequebook at just any player.

"While we have stepped in with deals for Andrew Johns and Mark Gasnier, I don't want Channel 9 to be seen as a banker to the NRL," McGuire said.

"If you asked me if we would use Lote on The Footy Show or any other rugby league show, the answer is a definite yes.

"But the Nine network isn't in a position to discuss terms with him or his management until I see a Tuqiri signature on an NRL contract."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was aware of the latest developments before stressing they had not been instigated by the league.

"There's precedent with Johns and Gasnier for non-club sponsors to enter into commercial agreements with players outside the salary cap," Gallop said.

"All we ever do is point a club in the right direction of who the possible third parties are that they could deal with without breaching the cap.

However, there were mixed responses about Nine's interest from the clubs that had dropped out of the hunt for Tuqiri.

Brisbane said it would have liked the opportunity to re-enter the bidding for Tuqiri...

If the only prerequisite for Nine to top up Tuquri's contract is for him to sign an NRL contract the Broncos could be back in with a chance given that this would reduce pressure on their limited cap space.

mark123

Juniors
thats right.

tuqiri is going to canberra where he hopes to rub shoulders with parlimentarians.

he will pursue a career in politics

McCrud

Juniors
I'm going Broncos - based purely on the article BrisVegas alluded to.

Don't think anything will come of it TBH.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
philstorm said:
A fifth of the salary cap on a winger come centre.

Good one Souths.

Do you realise that a big chunk of that is third party payments, meaning Souths didn't give it to him, thus not coming under the Salary Cap?

simon says

First Grade
VictorTheViking said:
What makes you say something like that?

:lol: :lol:

Read on mate...he wants to go into politics.......:lol:

There should be a warning label on LU.......Posting at three in the morning after a big night out can lead to embarassment the next day....:lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
If Lote ever considers an offer from the Raiders I'll eat the clothes that I'm wearing.

donkey|rope

Juniors
mark123 said:
thats right.

tuqiri is going to canberra where he hopes to rub shoulders with parlimentarians.

he will pursue a career in politics

i think the Raiders have offered him the seat for Molonglo