What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

myths, surprises, and the best players in the world cup

typicalfan

Coach
11-4 is a pummeling? Melbourne were still playing trials while Leeds had already kicked off their season. Also Inglis and C Smith didn't play and Matt Geyer was playing hooker. Best club in the world... :lol:
And Melbourne went on to lose two of their first three games, NRL teams consider the game a trial and dont give a crap about the event.

playdaball

Bench
Best players
The Aussies (includes those in red jerseys, white jerseys, green and blue)

Myths
-Sydney is the home of RL - some low crowds highlighted by the Fiji semi final
-England are the # 2 RL nation in the World
-France are becoming competitive just like the 50s
-Ben Roberts is a very good player

Surprises
-Fiji
-Ireland
-PNG
-Sam Perrott - he is class
-Kiwis non selection of Inu

Last edited:

VonVolks

Juniors
while I agree that France underperformed massively, I think writing them off is a big mistake.

They are doing a lot of domestic development now, and if they can keep going forward they will develop a good talent pool. It will take a while tho. Its better to have an expanded talent pool and legit national sides, than a competitive "France" made up of half Aussies called Luke LeBlanc or whatever.

Ireland did well, but with a lot of mercenaries. Lets see Ireland take the game forward in Ireland now they have WC success to build on and talk about.

marv

Juniors
Ireland did well, but with a lot of mercenaries. Lets see Ireland take the game forward in Ireland now they have WC success to build on and talk about.

Thats a bit harsh on Ireland, while they have a lot of English born players, many of those players have only ever repped Ireland, and their passion for the shirt cannot be questioned.

screeny

Bench
Myths
SL as a strong comp, comparable to the NRL.
Tony Smith as a tactician and strong coach.
Feleti Mateo
70% of England squad
John Monie as a modern coach
Klein and Archer as competent refs. The amount of errors they allowed have been risible.

Surprises
PNG, a serious footy team, coached by an ubermenschen in Lam
Fiji, let's hope they can keep most of the players in blue and white, and the crowds and interest growing back home
Charlie Wabo's flick through his legs for his first touch in the WC! Quality

Best players
I refuse to name any Australians
The aforementioned Wabo
Tevita Leo Latu
Eamon O'Carroll
Stanley Gene
Noilea & Uate
Adel Fellous
Sam Rapira & Bronson Harrison
And......all the local players who represented Fiji and PNG.

VonVolks

Juniors
Thats a bit harsh on Ireland, while they have a lot of English born players, many of those players have only ever repped Ireland, and their passion for the shirt cannot be questioned.

Not at all Marv, I'm not criticising the Ireland players one bit, I'm saying Ireland need to take the game on IN Ireland to start developing Irish based players and increasing RL's international talent pool. No one faults their passion or commitment.

westie

Bench
11-4 is a pummeling? Melbourne were still playing trials while Leeds had already kicked off their season. Also Inglis and C Smith didn't play and Matt Geyer was playing hooker. Best club in the world... :lol:

Did you watch it? I'm talking about the physical belting that Leeds dished out. Inglis and Smith weren't going to make a difference with the Rhinos 6 pack hammering Melbourne the second they got the ball. It was a mis-match. Folau, who dominates the NRL, was too scared to run the ball for most of the match after just a few choice words from Keith Senior.

If it wasn't raining Leeds would have offloaded their way to plenty more points. As it was they just made them look piss-weak.

aqua_duck

Coach
Did you watch it? I'm talking about the physical belting that Leeds dished out. Inglis and Smith weren't going to make a difference with the Rhinos 6 pack hammering Melbourne the second they got the ball. It was a mis-match. Folau, who dominates the NRL, was too scared to run the ball for most of the match after just a few choice words from Keith Senior.

If it wasn't raining Leeds would have offloaded their way to plenty more points. As it was they just made them look piss-weak.
If the WCC was played in australian conditions, with aussie refs, during our season the SL clubs would not stand a chance. Its funny you say that 2 of the top 5 best players in the world wouldn't have made a difference in a game where the winning margin was only 7 points....:crazy::crazy::crazy:
Anyways you can cry, bitch and moan all you like, but end of the day
52-4
If you call a 7 point margin a pummelling, what does that say about a 48 point margin? BTW your mate Keith Senior sure showed his 'class' this tournament....

typicalfan

Coach

Yeah it was the Storms 2nd game in 6 months without the best 9 in the world and one of the best outside backs in the world, they were rusty and they were undermanned, and they only lost by 7 points. Smith wouldnt make a difference? lol i see your expertise huh

cb4

First Grade
If the WCC was played in australian conditions, with aussie refs, during our season the SL clubs would not stand a chance. Its funny you say that 2 of the top 5 best players in the world wouldn't have made a difference in a game where the winning margin was only 7 points....:crazy::crazy::crazy:
Anyways you can cry, bitch and moan all you like, but end of the day
52-4
If you call a 7 point margin a pummelling, what does that say about a 48 point margin? BTW your mate Keith Senior sure showed his 'class' this tournament....

u must mean by humping that milf, coz he sure as sh*t did f**k all this tournament

typicalfan

Coach
a bit outrageous but he has been very good though. He ranks 2nd for Aussies in offloads, good effort for a guy playing on the wing on the opposite side to where he normally plays

a bit outrageous but he has been very good though. He ranks 2nd for Aussies in offloads, good effort for a guy playing on the wing on the opposite side to where he normally plays

You read the same article as me right?

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/numbers-add-up-for-monaghan/2008/11/18/1226770404653.html

He plays a very well balanced game does our Monas.

No one gives due credit to wingers when it comes to awards. I mean if ever a winger was going to win the Churchill Medal, it would of been this year. Robbo bagged 3 tries and put Menzies over for the final try of his illustrious career, and yet Kite nabs it.