What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

myths, surprises, and the best players in the world cup

westie

Bench
Roby scored a nice individual try and orchestrated the 15 or so mins where Aus couldn't handle England playing their style of football through the mid-field (ignoring their incompetency inside the 20).

Smith has done nothing of the sort during the WC and is a bit part player in the best drilled team in the NRL. Slater and Cronk lead Melbourne. Remember the Dragons game when they played 12 against 11? Farah, Roby et al would have had a field day. Smith was throwing balls to ground and didn't know what to do without his key men running the same set plays as usual.

If Smith has the same short kicking game as Farah then I'm not here. I can't remember the last time he set up a try or earned a repeat set. Farah does it week in week out with a crocked back, useless coach and surrounded by a bunch of dummies.

Smith, whilst being better than the utterly useless Buderus (how funny is it watching him trying to suck the markers in when he accelerates and steps like a b-double) has none of the acceleration or slight of hand other, better hookers display when rolling a pack. Sure, he brings his big men through well, but can you imagine him doing it at the Tigers?

Butters

Bench
Roby scored a nice individual try and orchestrated the 15 or so mins where Aus couldn't handle England playing their style of football through the mid-field (ignoring their incompetency inside the 20).

Smith has done nothing of the sort during the WC and is a bit part player in the best drilled team in the NRL. Slater and Cronk lead Melbourne. Remember the Dragons game when they played 12 against 11? Farah, Roby et al would have had a field day. Smith was throwing balls to ground and didn't know what to do without his key men running the same set plays as usual.

If Smith has the same short kicking game as Farah then I'm not here. I can't remember the last time he set up a try or earned a repeat set. Farah does it week in week out with a crocked back, useless coach and surrounded by a bunch of dummies.

Smith, whilst being better than the utterly useless Buderus (how funny is it watching him trying to suck the markers in when he accelerates and steps like a b-double) has none of the acceleration or slight of hand other, better hookers display when rolling a pack. Sure, he brings his big men through well, but can you imagine him doing it at the Tigers?

Roby's "nice individual try" was nothing more than a 5m scoot at most where he dropped the ball on the line.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
Cameron Smith has basically done nothing in this world cup because he has not needed to do anything...

If something was needed, I believe he would have something to give..

It is like a walk in the park for guys like Smith playing international football...

westie

Bench
Roby's "nice individual try" was nothing more than a 5m scoot at most where he dropped the ball on the line.

Well it would have been lovely to see Smith do something similar wouldn't it. If Roby has been no good, Smith has been worse.

aqua_duck

Coach
its ok, we all know smith and buderus are both useless and farah and roby are the best players to evr grace this earth, just keep telling yourself that champ....

typicalfan

Coach

what planet are you on? Buderus and Smith arent just some of the best hookers currently but they are as good as nearly anyone who has played the game there. Cronk does NOT run the show at Melbourne, it is noticable when Cam isnt around how much help he gets from him through his kicking game and his attention he receives.

I dont remember the last time Robbie Farah hit a 40-20 but i certainly am aware that Cameron does.

Good thing you mentioned that Dragons game too, and good that you mentioned how Farah and Roby would play well when the scales are tipped in their favour. Cam Smith wins the game for his side by getting his team on the front foot, not taking advantage once favourable circumstances are involved. And Roby played a good 15 minutes in the tournament whoopee!! Cam Smith has been consistently good take your white and red goggles off

westie

Bench
Well don't I look a right twat now.

When the chips were down Cam Smith came to the fore! Haha. (I have this wonderful image of Borat yelling "Nohtttt!")

Not one try, try assist, line break, line break assist. He didn't roll the forwards. He didn't lead when it was needed. He didn't kick. He didn't tackle effectively. Not only was he completely useless, he also took the spot of a better player who might have effected the game positively.

And the worst bit! This was actually his best game of the cup. He actually rolled the ball into the in-goal for the first time.

Cameron Smith is a myth perpetuated by the media. We've seen so many of them before and more will come.

Come on lads. Defend him now.

screeny

Bench

When the chips were down Cam Smith came to the fore! Haha. (I have this wonderful image of Borat yelling "Nohtttt!")

Not one try, try assist, line break, line break assist. He didn't roll the forwards. He didn't lead when it was needed. He didn't kick. He didn't tackle effectively. Not only was he completely useless, he also took the spot of a better player who might have effected the game positively.

And the worst bit! This was actually his best game of the cup. He actually rolled the ball into the in-goal for the first time.

Cameron Smith is a myth perpetuated by the media. We've seen so many of them before and more will come.

I have always thought this. Steady at best with an above average kicking game for a rake.

VonVolks

Juniors
I think Billy Slater need to get put into the Myths category going on his performance in the final. He won man of the tournament and then gave a classic "how not to play fullback" display in the most important match of the tournament.

Stillman

Juniors
Brett Stewart would not ever have done something so stupid. But then again he is a career fullback not a show off hero like old mate billy.

westie

Bench
I think Billy Slater need to get put into the Myths category going on his performance in the final. He won man of the tournament and then gave a classic "how not to play fullback" display in the most important match of the tournament.

He was responsible for close to 40 points in the Melbourne game if you include trys, try assists, length of the field breaks leading directly to trys. In fact, Inglis was the only other player providing the impetus for points.

In the final he set up the first two trys by splitting a defence the rest of the side struggled with and a left to right cut out pass which is very rare to see, especially from someone who is not a recognised ball-player, especially one giving an exhibition of "how not to play". Were it not for Slater, we would have been facing a possible "0" next to our score graphic.

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors

Just so you don't feel too silly he did put that try on a platter for Lockyer to score in the WC final. Lockyer did bomb it but the kick was still there.

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors

Yet you defend a hack like Farrah? Smith wins Dally M. You will never see Farrah win this, one of the hardest awards to win in RL. Farrh had a good season 2 years ago. He was quick out of dummy half and caught people with their pants down. He has not improved one bit since then...he isn't the next best hooker in the country in 2008. He fell significantly behind Ennis by the half way mark of the year. But keep raving about how good he is while running down a guy that has been alongside Bedsy the best number 9's in the game for the past 6 years

typicalfan

Coach
Just so you don't feel too silly he did put that try on a platter for Lockyer to score in the WC final. Lockyer did bomb it but the kick was still there.
Also If you watch the Inglis try he ran from dummy half and created the overlap so Lockyer could put him over. That was when we were down 22-16 at the time so the chips were down then and if you look at the stats he kicked just as often as Thurston, only Lockyer was used as a general kicker more.

Cam Smith is hardly a media pin up, he is in Melbourne where the media wouldnt pick him out of a crowd of reserve rules players.

Last edited:

westie

Bench
Yet you defend a hack like Farrah? Smith wins Dally M. You will never see Farrah win this, one of the hardest awards to win in RL. Farrh had a good season 2 years ago. He was quick out of dummy half and caught people with their pants down. He has not improved one bit since then...he isn't the next best hooker in the country in 2008. He fell significantly behind Ennis by the half way mark of the year. But keep raving about how good he is while running down a guy that has been alongside Bedsy the best number 9's in the game for the past 6 years

Ignoring the fact that the Dally M is ridiculous... it's judged by knobbers like Daley, Alexander et al who sheep like you bag, yet believe ... Farah went within a point or two of winning the thing.

Farah has not only not played hooker, he's basically not played and when he has played he's been crocked. Even so, he's still been more effective in a completely different environment than Smith has the luxury to play in. Honestly tell me that Farah wouldn't have had more of an influence in the world cup than Smith. After all, he's outplayed Smith and Buderus almost everytime he's come up against them, even if WT/City didn't win.

Oh, and regarding your previous post... you're not too good with paying attention to details are you?

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors
You must be kidding yourself. Ennis isn't half the player Farah is. Anyone can scoot from dummy half of quick play the balls and behind a big forward pack.

No tiger bias there I think.

Realistically Farrah only looks good when his forwards go forward so what is your point. That he can somehow look amazing when his forwrds are going backwards.....must have missed that game

Last edited:

westie

Bench
No tiger bias there I think.

Realistically Farrah only looks good when his forwards go forward so what is your point. That he can somehow look amazing when his forwrds are going backwards.....must have missed that game

You've just proved our point. We'll both bitch till we're black and blue about our lack of a forward pack. The fact that you're even discussing him means he must have done SOMETHING behind a non-existant pack, which is more than can be said for any competitors behind the 3 best packs in aus.

watatank

Coach
Smith was poor in the RLWC and to a lesser extent Origin, tbh. Whether it's part of the game plan for him to just shovel the ball out to Lockyer and Thurston (remember Billy Slater was a huge part of Australia's plans) or not he was completely underutilised. He hardly ever ran the ball out of dummy half or organised runners to run angles for him and practically play a halfback role from dummy half (if that makes sense) which is what he does for Melbourne and where he is at his best. If they were looking for someone to just pass the ball they would be better off going for Farah who has a superior passing game from dummy half (and I'm just talking in terms of passing the ball off the ground).

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors
You've just proved our point. We'll both bitch till we're black and blue about our lack of a forward pack. The fact that you're even discussing him means he must have done SOMETHING behind a non-existant pack, which is more than can be said for any competitors behind the 3 best packs in aus.
OK you win he rocks.....still wont get a NSW or Australian jumper because he isnt good enough

Latest posts