What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

myths, surprises, and the best players in the world cup

hellteam

First Grade
Smith was poor in the RLWC and to a lesser extent Origin, tbh. Whether it's part of the game plan for him to just shovel the ball out to Lockyer and Thurston (remember Billy Slater was a huge part of Australia's plans) or not he was completely underutilised. He hardly ever ran the ball out of dummy half or organised runners to run angles for him and practically play a halfback role from dummy half (if that makes sense) which is what he does for Melbourne and where he is at his best. If they were looking for someone to just pass the ball they would be better off going for Farah who has a superior passing game from dummy half (and I'm just talking in terms of passing the ball off the ground).

Yeah but Smith has the experience and is the vice captain and I would also say he is a better defender. I don't think he did much from dummy-half for Australia because it wasn't in the game plan. This could possibly be Ricky Stuarts fault with his insistence of wide second man plays instead of playing it in the ruck.

Farah is best suited in teams that don't have dominant halves such as the Tigers. I think this is why he would do well for NSW in Origin because they could base their attack around him and use their arguably better forward pack.

typicalfan

Coach
Smith was poor in the RLWC and to a lesser extent Origin, tbh. Whether it's part of the game plan for him to just shovel the ball out to Lockyer and Thurston (remember Billy Slater was a huge part of Australia's plans) or not he was completely underutilised. He hardly ever ran the ball out of dummy half or organised runners to run angles for him and practically play a halfback role from dummy half (if that makes sense) which is what he does for Melbourne and where he is at his best. If they were looking for someone to just pass the ball they would be better off going for Farah who has a superior passing game from dummy half (and I'm just talking in terms of passing the ball off the ground).
But again Cameron Smith often runs from dummy half to engage markers its his way to get rid of the markers when offloading the ball, if they are focussed on him and not on his forwards they get that extra couple of yards. Farah fits his niche well at the Tigers and no one doubts that, but that wont mean he will work at higher levels. 2006 Smith got Melbourne to a Grand Final with a first year halfback and dominated the attack, he also got man of the series last year in SOO and he won the Golden Boot as well.

The only time Farah got anywhere near a gf was on the back of one of the best halfbacks in the NRL, an in form five eighth and a class veteran fullback. Farah plays behind a non existent pack and as such the Tigers generally have non existent years. Farah or no Farah the Tigers havent made the finals, generally the tigers are in with a decent shot with a month or so to play but they choke, and 2007, 2006 he was dummy half for many of those losses.

typicalfan

Coach
You've just proved our point. We'll both bitch till we're black and blue about our lack of a forward pack. The fact that you're even discussing him means he must have done SOMETHING behind a non-existant pack, which is more than can be said for any competitors behind the 3 best packs in aus.
what has he done? I dont remember the Tigers doing anything since 2005

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors
what has he done? I dont remember the Tigers doing anything since 2005

That was what I implying. The only exceuse I get is that he competes and with a crook back as well. In a team that has struggled with injuries in the halves and as such he has been stuck doign cameos there. Good on him for battling through but still doesnt make him as good as Smith by a long shot.

typicalfan

Coach
I remember Luke Priddis outplaying him in city country a few years back, But i would doubt he would accept Priddis as a better rake despite winning two GF's and best on field in 2003

perverse

Referee
i've been saying it all year.. cam smith has done bugger all at rep level this year... and not much more at club level. a total non-event... and he wasn't far off it the year before either (how he got man of the series for origin over steve price in '07 still bewilders me to this day).

in my opinion, cam smith has already passed his peak as a player... and i believe the same of jonathon thurston.

Johns Magic

Referee
i've Been Saying It All Year.. Cam Smith Has Done Bugger All At Rep Level This Year... And Not Much More At Club Level. A Total Non-event... And He Wasn't Far Off It The Year Before Either (how He Got Man Of The Series For Origin Over Steve Price In '07 Still Bewilders Me To This Day).

Overrated

typicalfan

Coach
i've been saying it all year.. cam smith has done bugger all at rep level this year... and not much more at club level. a total non-event... and he wasn't far off it the year before either (how he got man of the series for origin over steve price in '07 still bewilders me to this day).

in my opinion, cam smith has already passed his peak as a player... and i believe the same of jonathon thurston.
they are 25 arent they, players like that dont really hit their peak until 27-28, I really doubt it, he had a fairly quiet year at club level, but thats by HIS standards

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors
I remember Luke Priddis outplaying him in city country a few years back, But i would doubt he would accept Priddis as a better rake despite winning two GF's and best on field in 2003

Priddis is a machine. Should have played more rep football but was stuck behind some handy ones in his career

watatank

Coach
Yeah but Smith has the experience and is the vice captain and I would also say he is a better defender. I don't think he did much from dummy-half for Australia because it wasn't in the game plan. This could possibly be Ricky Stuarts fault with his insistence of wide second man plays instead of playing it in the ruck.

Farah is best suited in teams that don't have dominant halves such as the Tigers. I think this is why he would do well for NSW in Origin because they could base their attack around him and use their arguably better forward pack.

Yeah, I totally agree. I was merely expressing my disappointment that Smith was underutilised. I was also pointing out that if you wanted a dummy half just to shovel from dummy half Smith isn't the man to do that. Not that his passing from dummy half is bad but that's not why you pick him. Buderus would have been a better fit in this Australian side for that role but he wasn't there so Farah was the next one that came to mind.

Latest posts