What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name the new SCG granstand

dont know if everyone caught the news on the weekend that the SCG trust has decided to name the new grandstand after a cricketer that has played for both NSW and Australia.

from an email i received today from the SCG trust they are now saying the name will be drawn from the NSW team of the century.

this is. Richie Benaud, Don Bradman, Alan Davidson, Ray Lindwall, Charlie Macartney, Arthur Morris, Billy Murdoch, Bill O'Reilly, Bob Simpson, Victor Trumper, Charles Turner and Steve Waugh

obviously it wont be Bradman or O'Reilly.

the other thing they say is it has to be a player that has been retired for more than 10 years. Which leaves Steve Waugh out.

Personally i think thats ridiculous as a new stand should be represented by a modern player. Waugh is the only player on that list to have played for NSW in the last 30 years. Furthermore he is a great servant of NSW cricket , playing 19 seasons for the blues and playing even after he retired as captain of the Australian test team.

you can send your views on who should get the honour to hillstand@scgt.nsw.gov.au

Timbo

Staff member
I think it WOULD have been the Richie Benaud Stand, had Rich not gotten that statue last season. They aren't going to give him a statue and a grandstand.

I think Steve Waugh deserves it, but if you need to be retired for more than ten years...

My money's on Bob Simpson or Ray Lindwall, but my preference is for Benaud.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the bone, the white, the off white, the ivory or the beige

gotta be Richie

Bazal

Post Whore
Should be Steve Waugh, I think it's ridiculous that they want to wait til a player has been retired for ten years.

The criterion is a-the player has to have been in the NSW team of the century and b-not have retired in the last decade.

No Waugh is elligible.

I think they could be persuaded to change their minds on the 10 year thing. But i doubt they will change it on the team of the century criteria.

besides , it would have to be the Steve & Mark Waugh stand as one of their other brothers played for NSW. (Dean)

azza

Juniors
I am hearing that it will be the Victor Trumper stand.

I don't think that is a bad choice at all, actually.

Timbo

Staff member
How did Keith Miller not make the team of the century? He'd be a shoe in.