What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your 5 Hardest players of all time and 5 overated

ngap

Juniors
Of all time?
For hardest you need to go back at least to the 60s or before when they played with broken jaws.

Dallas Donnelly would be tougher than most of the ones you mentioned.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Johnny Sattler played through most of a Grand Final with a broken jaw - that's tough...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Jason Croker playing with a buster anteior cruiate liagment because the rest of our bench had injuries is pretty tough

MEE

Juniors
HARDEST:
1. Sattler
2. Toovey
3. Davidson
4. Gillespie
5. Price

OVERATED
1. Mark Gasnier
2. Vella
3. Barret
4. Tate
5. Matt Gidley

Special K

Coach
Kimmorley played with a busted nut and with a broken jaw... If that doesn't make him one of the hardest then :shock:

Le Rouge

Juniors
Agreed if you want the toughest all time you need the old school tough guys.

Overated
Phil Bailey
Michael Crocker
Mathew Gidley
Braith Anasta
Trent Barrett

innsaneink

Referee
Some of the hardest

Cement Gillespie
Kurt Sorenson
TrevorGillmeister
Tom Raudonikis
DallasDonnelly
Terry Randall
MarkGeyer
GeoffRobbo
Geoff Toovey

Booyah

Bench
Hardest;
1. Davidson
2. Randall
3. Sattler snr
4. Roberts
5. Gillespie
6. Wiki

I'll slap Wiki in there too, because he deserves a mention. But I've still left out a whole bunch, including the Sorenson Bros. and blokes like Kelly etc.

Overrated;

1. Perry
2. Vella
3. M. Gasnier
4. Howe
5. Dykes

ngunity

Juniors
Bit hard for us under 30's to pinpoint the hardest "of all time" but I have no qualms rattling off my over-rated, and I'll try to remember the hardest since 1986:

Hardest

1. Craig Gower- takes hits small men shouldn't get up from
2. Gary Larson- maybe not the guy to take a crowbar to the head, but making 50+ tackles a game and plenty of hit-ups, and non-stop hussle is a form of "hard"
3. Petero Civonociva's head- broke Monty Bethams swinging-arm! That'll learn ya Monty!
4. Trevor Gilmeister- Face like the back of a truck, hit HARD, they didn't call him AXE for nothing
5. Steve Price - my token bulldog and more of a Gary Larson type selection. PRice is all HEART, not necessarily HARD, although did ya see the game a year or two back when he had a lump on his head as BIG as a golf-ball? Also being the charge-down king means putting your body on the line and THAT is Hard

Most Overrated

1. Brad Fittler- up to and including 2001 (even the NRL players thought so), better since then
2. Adrian Morley- a THUG, judged on skill alone he's Mr Mediocre
3. Jason Taylor- useless on defence, not special in attack, all he had was goal kicking
4. Andrew Johns- WHEN he's up against a team who's got the guts to get in his face and shut him down, he doesn't exactly inspire teammates with his mouth guard throwing, swearing, no-heart-when-he's-losing performances. He is Bloody good when people hang off him though ~ which they do
5. Shaun Timmins- Just at 5/8, Timmo is fine in Centres or 2nd row. At 5/8 Timmins was a bloody JOKE. It was downright disgusting to see Timmins play 5/8 for Australia, a trained monkey would have comparable 5/8 skills, they should have given the role to some token REAL 5/8 from a S@#^ club like Souths or Tigers over Timmo to give some youngsters confidence and a wrap like they did with Trent Waterhouse on the Kangaroo tour (clearly he's not one of the best forwards in Australia, it was a token Rookie pick)
5 1/2- Since Timmo is only over-rated at 5/8 I am sneaking in a swipe at Michael Crocker who's suddenly had his name in lights after playing Origin. Maybe we shouldn't forget that QLD was DESPERATE for players and he SUCKED in Origin. Crocker is not rated by anyone with two brain cells, but there are some people with less so yes he too is overrated

And just before any of you Rooters fans take a shot back at Willie and Braith I'll conceded Braith was poor in 2k3, but he was awesome in 2k2, and is again this year so #@^@ off. Willie has a lot to work on, but it's still nice to have a guy who can lean over the try line from 7 metres out.....

peace

Fibroman

First Grade
Hardest: Siffridi, North, Jeremy, Steed and Holmes.

Overrated: Ginger and Amber Lynn, Del Rio, Lords and Chambers.

Le Rouge

Juniors
ngunity said:
Shaun Timmins- Just at 5/8, Timmo is fine in Centres or 2nd row. At 5/8 Timmins was a bloody JOKE. It was downright disgusting to see Timmins play 5/8 for Australia, a trained monkey would have comparable 5/8 skills, they should have given the role to some token REAL 5/8 from a S@#^ club like Souths or Tigers over Timmo to give some youngsters confidence and a wrap like they did with Trent Waterhouse on the Kangaroo tour (clearly he's not one of the best forwards in Australia, it was a token Rookie pick)
5 1/2- Since Timmo is only over-rated at 5/8 I

I agree Timmins at 5/8 is/was an utter joke.
hes a great center or second rower. Especially when you got players like....
Preston Campbell who so should play rep footy. What a brilliant player and the unluckiest
He's a Dally M winner and a grand final winner who plays well above his weight and give his all every week.
I'm no panthers fan but christ if i was Campbell i'd be pretty pissed off missin rep teams, especially if Timmins is at 5/8.

Pigskin

Juniors
Hardest

1. Les Davidson
2. Trevor Gillmeister
3. Wally Fullerton-Smith
4. Mark Carroll
5. David Gillespie

Overrated

1. Jamie Lyon
2. Matthew Gidley
3. Nathan Blacklock
4. Michael Vella
5. Chris Walkout

Oink !

fibro man said:

Kim Chambers aint overrated!! Hers are real! :D

Mark Graham is the hardest player I've ever seen. Kevin Tamati a close second, then Wiki.

DJ1

Juniors
Dirk DIGgler said:
fibro man said:

Kim Chambers aint overrated!! Hers are real! :D

Mark Graham is the hardest player I've ever seen. Kevin Tamati a close second, then Wiki.

I believe it's Marilyn Chambers that's being referred to.

OVP

Coach
Ricketson, Tunks, Menzies overrated ???? !!!! And then you have the hide to say the biggest Cat of all, MG, is "hard"... lolololololol

WTF ??

Go flush your useless head down the toilet. You obviously dont follow the game.

Bench
There have been heaps of hard men Noel Kelly,Peter Kelly,Dallas,Boyd,Sattler,Toovey, Raudonikis, Ron Gibbs,Mark Graham,John O'Neill,Bruce Maguire,Davidson,Pat Jarvis and many more.
Equally there have been heaps of over rated players Stevens,Phil Bailey,Ian Herron,Eion Crossan,Anasta,Hauff,Chris Walker,Glover,Howe but the most over rated with all the hype and so much expectation around the Crushers big signing from Rugby Union he delivered nothing and couldn't make a struggling team even though he was the highest paid player.
The winner Garrick Morgan hands down in my opinion.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Pigskin said:
Hardest

1. Les Davidson
2. Trevor Gillmeister
3. Wally Fullerton-Smith
4. Mark Carroll
5. David Gillespie

Overrated

1. Jamie Lyon
2. Matthew Gidley
3. Nathan Blacklock
4. Michael Vella
5. Chris Walkout

Oink !

Obviously a man who led the NRL's try-scoring tally in three consecutive years but was only handed one token appearance for Australia is over-rated :roll:

I reckon people on here are just calling players they don't like "over-rated".

Cheers,
Ben S.

Latest posts