What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown - protected species?

Should Nathan Brown be sacked?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Valheru

Coach
Imagine how the Roosters would be going without Cronk, Tedesco, JWH, Napa, Friend and Mitchell. Their equivilents for us have all had long term injuries this year, and barely played together.

We will get there I think, but geez we keep finding ways to suck.

We would go better without Friend and probably Napa

Except the Bulldogs just beat you effectively having half a salary cap when you account for the losses of Woods and Mbye, injuries to Josh Morris and Foran plus paying for Reynolds, Graham, Kasiano and a couple of others at other clubs
I bet Terd Toddy will allow you a full cap next year

Probably allow you to retire-rape Foreskin too

Zerô

Juniors
His contract is performance based starting next year.

If he doesn't hit certain goals he's gone

Foz

Bench
Seeing where we came from under Wayne Bennett, Rick Stone and Mick muthaf*cking Hagan, Brown get a LOT of leeway with this club...

Jack Gibson would have struggled to do better with the shitsandwich Brown was handed when he started.

And the simple question is: If Brown is sacked, who replaces him? No decent coach would agree to this career suicide. At best, we end up with a rookie coach (and not even one of the good ones) who will just be sacked in 2 years for ANOTHER rookie.

I think Geoff Toovey’s made for that Knights job.
Knights need a bit of mongrel in them and Tooveys the perfect fit to do it.

wibble

Bench
Will be interesting to see if Pay gets the same leeway. Hasler has messed up the Dogs at least as badly as Bennet messed up the Knights.

No one expected much from the Knights over the last few years, so Brown could do as he wished. He seems to have recruited well (though many thought he paid overs for Ponga, it is a bit lucky that Ponga has turned out to be not just a good rookie, but an exceptional one).

I'm sure Knight's fans have been happy to see some improvement and the good recruiting. And they probably want to see a bit more improvement.

Their terrible injury toll gives Brown another season where he has some excuses, but next year I'm sure expectations will be higher.

King hit

Coach
I challenge anyone to coach a team successfully when their halfback and boss of the team goes down injured for the majority of the year and when the best player on the team gets injured. You can't blame Brown for 2016 it was impossible for them to compete no matter who coached them. At least he is trying to build a team.

Noname36

First Grade
As a Knights fan, I WISH Brown was the problem because all we’d need to do is appoint a new coach.

Not the case though. Brown was finally able to bring in some quality players this year and we were winning but then they all started dropping like flies. I mean players like Corey Dennis and Jack Cogger that have been horrendous shouldn’t be anywhere near FG but the backups’ backups have all gone down injured...and they’re not just short-term injuries...they’re all going down for long periods of time...ACLs, Pecs, breaks, etc.

Our rebuild is still a work in progress and we have a lot more additions joining next year. Our biggest problem apart from being injury prone to begin with is that while we’ve added some quality additions that had us winning at the beginning of the season our depth isn’t really up to FG standard. Brown will need to address that because his contract extension is performance based and the club is cursed when it comes to injury. We’re never going to have a run like the Dragons where we run the same team out for a season.

Noname36

First Grade
TS is a troll. That being said I think questions should have to be asked of Brown.

Our defence has not improved since he arrived and to concede 30 plus points against that Canterbury side is a total embarrassment.

Some of his team selections have been terrible too. The fact that Jack Cogger is in FG and Lamb is in reserve grade is mind boggling. Our atrocious kicking game and total lack of direction over the last 3 or 4 games is Brown’s fault.

Brown has done a good job of getting rid of the dead wood and signing some good replacements, he does seem the right person to take the club forward in that regard. His actual coaching is really nothing to write home about.

Did you actually watch the Canterbury game and see what happened?

Our defence is usually bad you’re right (although again hard to make the right decisions/trust one another when the team has to be different every week) but Jesus, let’s not get ahead of ourselves with a game where we lost our #1 and #9 for the night in the first half.

And I don’t see how Lamb and Cogger being shit players should be blamed on Brown. If he saw them as our long term halves options and didn’t replace the both of them you’d be right but he replaced them both...just shit luck both Pearce and Watson spent long periods injured so they had to be picked.

JamesRustle

First Grade
I think Geoff Toovey’s made for that Knights job.
Knights need a bit of mongrel in them and Tooveys the perfect fit to do it.
Not sure Mitchell will fit under a Toovey regime as he puts a bit in the mongrel.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Had the team to win a comp at the Dragons.
Don’t think he snagged one finals win??
They scraped past the sharkies week 1 in 05, then obliterated broncos week 1 06, manly the week after then beaten by the salary cap cheats in the prelim that year. So three from memory.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I challenge anyone to coach a team successfully when their halfback and boss of the team goes down injured for the majority of the year and when the best player on the team gets injured. You can't blame Brown for 2016 it was impossible for them to compete no matter who coached them. At least he is trying to build a team.
I accept that challenge - where do I sign up?

Noname36

First Grade
I want to know how long do you give him?

Well his contract extension starting next year is performance based so it will depend on if the targets are reached. I quite like the concept and wish we had the same thing when Bennett and Stone were around.