What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown re-signs with Saints until end of 2006

Anonymous

Juniors
Nathan Brown re-signs with Saints until end of 2006
www.leagueunlimited.com

St George Bank Dragons have re-signed coach Nathan Brown in a deal which will extend his coaching contract for two years until the end of the 2006 season.

The decision was finalised after the Club’s monthly Board meeting last Tuesday. Brown's current two-year contract was due to expire at the end of this season.

In announcing the decision, Dragons Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust said the Board wanted to have the Club’s coaching direction in place prior to the June 30 deadline for player negotiations.

“A detailed review of the on-field performance and an appraisal of the key performance indicators set across coaching management after the 2003 season have confirmed the Board’s acceptance in their direction,” Doust said.

“It’s obvious to most Dragons supporters that there has been a significant improvement in the attitude and style of play and the coach can take a considerable amount of credit for that. Both Nathan and the team have matured under his coaching.”

The re-signing indicates something of a turnaround for the 30-year-old coach who just last month was presiding over a struggling outfit. Since then, Saints have posted big wins over the Knights, Wests Tigers, Panthers and came within a whisker of defeating the Roosters last weekend.

Dragons coach Nathan Brown said: “I am very pleased to extend my arrangement with the Dragons.

“Everyone knows I am passionate about the club. Everyone knows I want to be a career rugby league coach. To be able to put the two together makes me very happy. I am looking forward to paying everyone back for their faith in me.”

The Dragons currently boast the best points difference in the competition having conceded only 41 points while scoring 147 points in their last four matches.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jimbo said:

While I think there are a number of things that Brown can improve on (such as last tackle options, his communication), there has been a marked improvement in his coaching ability & the flow-on effect on the performance of the team.

The defensive efforts, the Storm debacle aside, have been great.

Jimbo, a Cronulla supporter is the last person who should be laughing at another club's coaching appointments - "Back me or sack me", "The winning culture", etc :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Jimbo

Immortal
Doust said:
“A detailed review of the on-field performance and an appraisal of the key performance indicators set across coaching management after the 2003 season have confirmed the Board’s acceptance in their direction,” Doust said.

So missing the finals is actually an objective of yours now?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jimbo said:
Doust said:

So missing the finals is actually an objective of yours now?

And Cronulla-Scummerland are the NRL's barometer of Rugby League success?? :lol:

Whilst Brown's performance, even with the injury toll he faced in 2003, wasn't as good as I would have liked, he has improved markedly this year & the future looks good for him if his learning curve stays at the same tragectory.

This is coming from on of his bigger critics...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
I've got no problem with it. I want to see Brownie succeed but he shouldn't get a hundred chances to do so. The announcement means we have some stability.

The facts are that he came to the job last year with a less than impressive result. The question remained about his coaching abilities. IMO, he has done a lot to dispel those questions over the last month. He has come up against some of the best coaches in the NRL and has won by knock-out on three ocassions and probably deserved a points decision last weekend.

So really, he was on wood this year and has responded in an impressive way. Saints' defence and attack has been outstanding this year and the figures back this up.
Still, its early days isnt it?

I wouldnt pay too much attention to contracts either. They can end by mutual agreement and Saints have a good track record in that regard. The same can't be said for the Sharks - when a contract gets broken there, you can hear it smashing on the other side of the world... blood on the floor stuff.

Booyah

Bench
Boy, I bet Browny would have been in real demand if he'd come off contract. :lol:

What a stroke of luck you were able to swoop and secure his services before he left. :clap: :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Salmon said:
Willow said:
Boys, who is Ando coaching?

The difference between Stains and Sharks in a coaching aspect is that we dumped our sh*t coach.

I'm so glad you brought that up. You sacked a "shit coach" - the one with the "winning culture".

So lets talk about the previous coach then shall we? John Lang... the one you let go and he went on to win the 2003 premiership with Penrith. Was he a "shit coach" too?

Oh yes, I can see the difference. :lol:

SirShire

First Grade
Willow said:
Salmon said:
Willow said:

The difference between Stains and Sharks in a coaching aspect is that we dumped our sh*t coach.

I'm so glad you brought that up. You sacked a "sh*t coach" - the one with the "winning culture".

So lets talk about the previous coach then shall we? John Lang... the one you let go and he went on to win the 2003 premiership with Penrith. Was he a "sh*t coach" too?

Oh yes, I can see the difference. :lol:

Lang was never sacked, never is and never will be a shit coach. Ando, on the other hand, was a tool.

flip

Juniors
Say what you wish scummers.. nothing is going to change the fact that your club has lead a very sad existence :clap: and won't win a premiership for a while. Whilst we might not have the most experienced of coaches, our team sure as hell sh1t's over yours.

Salmon said:
Willow said:

]

Greyhound Pioneer don't go through as many coaches as Cronulla. With it's beautiful beaches and the nice lifestyle the Gold Coast has to offer that trend should continue.

Willow said:
I've got no problem with it. I want to see Brownie succeed but he shouldn't get a hundred chances to do so. The announcement means we have some stability.

The facts are that he came to the job last year with a less than impressive result. The question remained about his coaching abilities. IMO, he has done a lot to dispel those questions over the last month. He has come up against some of the best coaches in the NRL and has won by knock-out on three ocassions and probably deserved a points decision last weekend.

Don't know about the points decision last week. I thought early on that Ricky's decision to switch wingers and centres and have Finch at hooker and Crocker as a running forward threw the Dragons and the Dragons did well not to concede early.

In saying that he is vastly improved from last season and hye looks to be very settled in what he is doing now and he doesn't appear as apprehensive as last year. But for everything Saints have done over the last month it comes down to Saturday night. They need to come out with the same intensity as last week.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Southern Rooster said:
Salmon said:
Willow said:

]

Greyhound Pioneer don't go through as many coaches as Cronulla. With it's beautiful beaches and the nice lifestyle the Gold Coast has to offer that trend should continue.

Cronulla-Scummerland - The "Transit Lounge" of the 00's & beyond...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
Southern Rooster said:
Don't know about the points decision last week. I thought early on that Ricky's decision to switch wingers and centres and have Finch at hooker and Crocker as a running forward threw the Dragons and the Dragons did well not to concede early.
And as you say, they didnt concede. Maybe a not a points decision because the scoreline says otherwise, but IMO, that was a match which could have gone either way. Easts got the money and good luck to them.
The stats show that Saints did a little more tackling and the Roosters had slightly more ball (52%). Saints had more mistackles but Roosters made more handling errors.
The big "if" is what would we be saying if the Gasnier try was awarded or Saints scored just before fulltime... I thought Brown and Stuart gave their teams every chance to win and on that point, its hard to separate them.
Southern Rooster said:
In saying that he is vastly improved from last season and hye looks to be very settled in what he is doing now and he doesn't appear as apprehensive as last year. But for everything Saints have done over the last month it comes down to Saturday night. They need to come out with the same intensity as last week.
Yeah well, and what if they have an off night? ;-) While Saints clobbered Penrith (who looked lethargic at times), I wouldnt say that John Lang is slack coach. And yet, Brown still finds himself under scrutiny.