What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nathan fien brent webb, residency rule is a joke

nqcowboy87

Bench
what has the international game come too, a born and bred mt isa boy a north queensland junior through and through who has played soo, and a tores strait islander who is also a north queenslander through and through (cairns kangaroos!!!) who will be able to play for new zealand. i mean fien has a grandma who is like half new zealand. but what the f@#$. soon it will be that a 3rd cousin is new zealand or something, fien used to be one of my favourite players at the cowboys although i resented the fact that he went to the warriors i still supported him nonetheless but now i just dont know. and also with this residency rule is crap it should be scrapped, get rid of it. i mean brent webb bloody hell, loyalty is a big thing. if it meant never pulling on a rep jumper so be it. cause both my dad and grandad and great grandad were born in png(although not of png blood, samoan and german mixrace)i would be eligible for png but if pulling on a png jumper meant i could never play for australia i wouldnt. and also with guys like frank pritchard the cayless brothers and theres a couple of others i cant think of at the moment. all of them born in australia and came through their junior clubs and senior clubs in australia yet play for nz. i can understand karmichael hunts choice as he played more football here than in nz. and also another point why can luke covell play city/country and for new zealand in the same year, they need to develop players not import them. i know eople are gonna have a backlash on this but i just thought i should put my point across

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The Fien thing is a bit of a fluke. The whole Grandma thing, didn't see that coming tbh.

imo Webb and Hunt are in exactly the same situation. Born and bred Aussie who moved to NZ, and vice versa. Should switch teams.

skeepe

Immortal
The real joke is the fact that Nathan Hindmarsh wasn't suspended for that extremely ugly high tackle.

Then again, it's par for the course for that overrated thug.

As for Fien, I've got no real problem with it - the grandparent rule is used in many sports around the world. Webb - as TH said it's the same as Hunt. If Hunt is eligible for Australia (and how, I have no idea) then Webb is eligible for New Zealand.

shiznit

Coach
as ive states in another thread... im embarresed as a kiwi to have those 2 in our team. it should be parents and thats its. the reason i say parents is because if you can still be born in a country and be linked with another. i have plenty of cousins that were born in aussie but consider themselves kiwis 1st and aussies 2nd. grandparents make it awkward.

im sick of our country wanting to shortcut themselves to win. irene van dyke is another joke.

throw some bartacard kids into the fray... i bet they would do the jearsey no injustices

shiznit

Coach
your right... it isnt just kiwis that do it..
but just because oher countries are doing it, it doesnt mean we have to follow suit..

nadera78

Juniors
Every major sport in the world uses the grandparents rule. Why do RL fans blow up about it so much?

The real problem is when a player appears for one coun try and then later on turns out for another one.
Carroll (NZ then Australia)
Tuqiri (Fiji then Australia)
Mason (Tonga then Australia)
Solomona (Samoa then NZ)
and several others as well.

That is the thing that needs to be stopped. Once you play international RL then you cannot switch nations. Simple.

andrew057

First Grade
Jesus christ you guys are a bunch of f**king whingers.

Get over it.

Im glad Hunt is playing for Australia, I consider him Australian.

Who cares about Webb and Fien, they wouldnt make a 4th string Australian team.

icewind

Juniors
nadera78 said:
Every major sport in the world uses the grandparents rule. Why do RL fans blow up about it so much?

The real problem is when a player appears for one coun try and then later on turns out for another one.
Carroll (NZ then Australia)
Tuqiri (Fiji then Australia)
Mason (Tonga then Australia)
Solomona (Samoa then NZ)
and several others as well.

That is the thing that needs to be stopped. Once you play international RL then you cannot switch nations. Simple.

australia first (or qld) then nz then aus.

nz cos of elegibility rules in the world cup, and an attempt to try and help developing nations in the world cup to be a little more competitive.

lockyno1

Post Whore
International RL said:
Hunt is a f**king kiwi. There is no way he should be allowed to play.

Hunt is a queenslander. I have no problem with more Queenslanders playing SOO football. Hunt moved to Australia at a young age. That is fine with me. Makes his decision the final decision.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I have no problem with Fien getting picked, because he has Kiwi blood ok he is a born and bred Aussie, but he made the decision to play for NZL and thats final. Brent Webb on the other hand I found it a joke in 2004, a 3 year residency I think the years should be extended to 10, but its over now he's a Kiwi test player and lets leave it at that. We're gonna keep having these arguments if theyre not strict on these rules. I just hope it doesnt blow too far in the media, which probably will happen making the game look bad. But hey other sports have done it.

Rugby Union had Enrique Rodreguiez playing for Australia and Argentina, as well as Patricio Noreiga. Kiwi Henry Paul playing for England, ex Spingbook Clyde Rathbone playing for Australia. The same can be said in cricket, South African Kevin Petersen playing for England, Zimbabwean Graham Hick once again England, Aussie Matt Sinclair playing for NZL. The triatholon in 2000, had a Czech athlete with an Aussie accent as well as an Austrain athlete. I could keep going, cause it happens in nearly every sport.

nadera78

Juniors
icewind said:
australia first (or qld) then nz then aus.

nz cos of elegibility rules in the world cup, and an attempt to try and help developing nations in the world cup to be a little more competitive.

You're putting an inter-state contest on a par with international sport? That's ridiculous, regardless of the quality of the matches. And as for helping developing nations, how about not picking guys that have already turned out for devfeloping nations?

ozboy

Juniors
nadera78 said:
You're putting an inter-state contest on a par with international sport? That's ridiculous, regardless of the quality of the matches. And as for helping developing nations, how about not picking guys that have already turned out for devfeloping nations?

It was at a WC where eligibilty rules were relaxed as to make the developing nations a bit more competitive.

If they weren't relaxed, I have no doubt that none of these players would have turned out for them. Teams like Samoa, Tonga and Fiji most probably would not have had any semblence of a competitive team.

ozboy

Juniors
The NZ national is simply picking players because they play for the Warriors.

Who's next, Grant Rovelli to take over from Stacey Jones, Tony Martin in the centres?

The Aussies with Kiwi heritage in the Australian team all moved to Australia at an early age, and have done all their schooling and played all their junior RL in Australia.

They consider themselves to be Australian.

nadera78

Juniors
If Tonnie Carroll considers himself Australian then why the hell did he play for NZ? That's just nonsense.

And actually El Masri played for Lebanon in 2000, then Australia a couple of years later and then Lebanon again a few weeks after that. Absolute nonsense.

Actually, Tony Martin is already eligible for the Kiwis. His mum is a New Zealander, he has lived there for more than 3 years (the residence period) and has actualy married a local girl and has kids born there. He is more of Kiwi than Hunt is an Aussie.

Whatever way you want to argue it, it's fundamentaly wrong that a player can turn out for 2 countries.

LeagueNut

First Grade
ozboy said:
Who's next, Grant Rovelli to take over from Stacey Jones
I predicted this right at the beginning of the year. Unless someone gets in his ear and makes him choose NOW, there'll be another "bidding war" between the Kiwis and the Maroons in a few years. :x :x

Latest posts