What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Fien

Slippery Morris

First Grade
For a player that is supposedly out of form and over the hill he is not doing too bad for a 34 year old who played hooker past few years and has only played in the halves on a more regular basis this season. Not sure why he cops such a bagging from some people on this forum when he is doing a great job and most of all is the only one taht takes on the line in the halves and not afraid to get tackled. Stats below just show that he is equal to Foran in try assists and one behind Reynolds and Pearce.

Top 20 Try Assists

13 C. Cronk
10 J. Thurston
9 R. Farah
8 A. Reynolds
8 L. Walsh
8 M. Pearce
8 J. Mullen
7 J. McCrone
7 K. Foran
7 P. Wallace
7 N. Fien

Minh

First Grade
He still goes alright but it is not a good decision to keep playing him if we are looking to be strong the future.

BennyV

Referee
Interesting....out of curiosity, what classifies as a try assist? Do you have to throw the last pass, or be involved in the lead up work? Is it a subjective thing - i.e. some statistician will observe each try and say 'player x assisted in creating the try'?

My issue with Fiensy is purely his speed, he gets caught out in defence (should be moved closer to the middle) and doesnt move quick enough in attack for the opposition to be too concerned - i.e. they are able to read whether or not he will pass, and to whom he will pass it. Watched an interview with Carney on Sterlo the other week, very interesting how he broke down every short side play and why he made certain decisions on who to pass to; its an unpredictability our halves lack at the moment.

That said, Fiensy is often trying things and putting the effort in. Hat's off to him!

FundyDragon

Bench
For a player that is supposedly out of form and over the hill he is not doing too bad for a 34 year old who played hooker past few years and has only played in the halves on a more regular basis this season. Not sure why he cops such a bagging from some people on this forum when he is doing a great job and most of all is the only one taht takes on the line in the halves and not afraid to get tackled. Stats below just show that he is equal to Foran in try assists and one behind Reynolds and Pearce.

Top 20 Try Assists

13 C. Cronk
10 J. Thurston
9 R. Farah
8 A. Reynolds
8 L. Walsh
8 M. Pearce
8 J. Mullen
7 J. McCrone
7 K. Foran
7 P. Wallace
7 N. Fien

Interesting stats

Saint Anger

Juniors
Speed is the main objective here.

While Fieny tries his guts out each week, he just can't match his speed to his dedication. Everything happens in bullet time and his plays are usually nullified because of this.

We need a half with speed and instinct.

Hero of 2010. He's not responsible for recruitment or roster management and it's not his fault that at 34 he's first choice halfback and not playing the sort of 2009 Priddis role he'd be perfectly suited for. Not a bad word for him. If anything, he's even more of a legend for taking on the thankless responsibility that's been foisted on him. There are more than a few players in the 25 at the moment who just aren't good enough to wear the jersey. Fien has earned the right to wear it with pride.

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
So Sandow has set up more tries than Soward ?
Robbie Farah has set up more tries than BOTH our halves ...... AND THEY ARE COMING LAST ! :crazy:
Also highlights how bad a season Benji is having !

Last edited:

The Enforcer

Juniors
Interesting....out of curiosity, what classifies as a try assist? Do you have to throw the last pass, or be involved in the lead up work? Is it a subjective thing - i.e. some statistician will observe each try and say 'player x assisted in creating the try'?

My issue with Fiensy is purely his speed, he gets caught out in defence (should be moved closer to the middle) and doesnt move quick enough in attack for the opposition to be too concerned - i.e. they are able to read whether or not he will pass, and to whom he will pass it. Watched an interview with Carney on Sterlo the other week, very interesting how he broke down every short side play and why he made certain decisions on who to pass to; its an unpredictability our halves lack at the moment.

That said, Fiensy is often trying things and putting the effort in. Hat's off to him!
Yeah i wouldn't have picked him to be up the list of TA's, so maybe calling out " go Nighty " is classified as a TA ?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Fiensy would easily be up in the top 5 players for the Dragons this season. Especially based on effort. He gives it all every game.
Good post Dr Fruitbasket.

possm

Coach
Benji has been a passenger this year.

I wonder if Benji and Soward have the same mind-set at the moment.

Soward looking forward to a new start a Penrith with Gus next year and
Benji looking forward to a new start at the Dragons with Sheens next year.

Oh the pain each week. When will they all realise; the only problem is Price.

CarssDragon

Juniors
Hero of 2010. He's not responsible for recruitment or roster management and it's not his fault that at 34 he's first choice halfback and not playing the sort of 2009 Priddis role he'd be perfectly suited for. Not a bad word for him. If anything, he's even more of a legend for taking on the thankless responsibility that's been foisted on him. There are more than a few players in the 25 at the moment who just aren't good enough to wear the jersey. Fien has earned the right to wear it with pride.

Very accurate evaluation in my opinion. Not opposed to the idea of him sticking around another year (who knows how the search for a halfback will go) although probably hard to find that 'Priddis' role for him now Rein has re-signed. Between Rein, King, Garvey we should have hooker covered for a few years.

mmap dragons

Juniors

Well said. The bloke busts his ass every weekend and after all he is 34 and gives away a number of years to most other number 7's in the comp. Very loyal player who wears the Red V with pride.

redbreed

Juniors
Its interesting how some players get leeway on this forum and others don't. I think every player has been busting there guts so far this year. The only exception would be Soward but for all I know he's probably doing what his been told.