What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National second tier knockout comp

Colk

First Grade
I wonder what happens with Melbourne and the Warriors, there was no mention of them.

This seems like a compromise solution between the Sydney clubs who have been pushing for a full national reserve grade competition and the QRL who are staunchly opposed to that and will do everything to make sure their state league clubs aren't pushed down a step in the structure.

It could work really well if they give it a little bit of funding and promote it properly.

If they had 32 teams it could be a straight knockout over 5 weeks. Or they could have 8 pools of four with a group stage, and the top 1 or 2 of each pool going on to an 8 or 16 team knockout. That would give every club a minimum of 3 matches and run for 6 or 7 weeks.

There is a seed of a good idea here. You could play it during the Origin period and you have extra content with the NRL sides not playing. I would probably make the NRL sides have an age limit though if they have to play in this competition

My feelings though why don’t you just leave the state competitions as they are, add a couple of sides to the NSW Cup, play conferences and play a finals series involving both? It would be a lot cleaner.

Diesel

Referee
I wonder what happens with Melbourne and the Warriors, there was no mention of them.

This seems like a compromise solution between the Sydney clubs who have been pushing for a full national reserve grade competition and the QRL who are staunchly opposed to that and will do everything to make sure their state league clubs aren't pushed down a step in the structure.

It could work really well if they give it a little bit of funding and promote it properly.

If they had 32 teams it could be a straight knockout over 5 weeks. Or they could have 8 pools of four with a group stage, and the top 1 or 2 of each pool going on to an 8 or 16 team knockout. That would give every club a minimum of 3 matches and run for 6 or 7 weeks.
Warriors rejoining the NSW cup in 2023. Redcliffe was their feeder during covid

Diesel

Referee
There is a seed of a good idea here. You could play it during the Origin period and you have extra content with the NRL sides not playing. I would probably make the NRL sides have an age limit though if they have to play in this competition

My feelings though why don’t you just leave the state competitions as they are, add a couple of sides to the NSW Cup, play conferences and play a finals series involving both? It would be a lot cleaner.
With teams having 3 byes next season and the majority having two of the three byes during origin, having a KO comp during orgin period is a good idea

Colk

First Grade
My question would be what’s the point?
What’s to be gained?

The only way it would be beneficial is if you tie it into certain things. If you tied it into a mid season transfer window for example it could create some interest as well as give an opportunity for players to be scouted.

The idea of having the NRL teams participate makes no sense

You would also want teams from across the country if possible

T-Boon

Coach
My question would be what’s the point?
What’s to be gained?

Fair question.
The lower tiers should be all about maximizing junior participation and the sports own self-improvement.
I would start with the NRL clubs should have absolutely zero to do with anything below first grade because the NRL clubs are grubs who don't care about anything except their own self-interest, they have basically no interest in the overall health of the code.
A strong second tier totally independent of the NRL clubs would definitely improve coaching quality which is badly needed.
But I don't know how this idea really makes the second tier stronger. Maybe it does.