What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBA Playoffs

Any thoughts? Here are the matchups:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...Q--?slug=nbaplayoffschedule&prov=st&type-lgns

A very interesting post-season this year. Usually the only interest is in the West with the one East team usually getting the job done easily, but it isn't as cut and dry this year.

Boston @ Indiana - Indiana should have this one in the bag. They notoriously drop a game in the first series, but that shouldn't be a problem. The Celtics aren't too good this year without Walker and his trade replacements being injured, but trading off big men for a player to back up Pierce was just a bizarre decision. Tip: Pacers in 5

New York @ New Jersey - New Jersey have the experience, but they've got a few injury concerns, namely Kidd. If he plays, he'll nullify Marbury and the Knicks will go nowhere. Tip: Nets in 4, 6 if Kidd misses some.

Milwaukee @ Detroit - The Pistons should hold out the Bucks offence in pretty fine style. I wasn't willing to go off on them this year in the playoffs, but this is a perfect draw for them to get thier confidence up. Only Redd really needs to be worried about on a big scale, that's if Van Horn doesn't get any consistency going. Pistons in 5.

New Orleans @ Miami - Probably a battle between the most even teams in the first round of the East, both teams re-building and will be better for the trip. I like the looks of Miami and I can't go past them. Heat in 7

Denver @ Minnesota - The Wolves still haven't won a playoff series have they? Wont matter, I like the Nuggets, but Garnett and Sprewell will kill some demons here. Nuggets are young and will learn a huge lesson here. T-Wolves in 4, 6 if a Mutombo like Seattle killing occurs.

Houston @ Lakers - Interesting matchup, Ming likes O'Neal but this year saw a slight adjustment in their head-to-head matchups. Francis isn't having a great year and Bryant looks to be in some form. Too much experience in LA's lineup will go a long way. Lakers in 5.

Memphis @ San Antonio - The Spurs are now a playoff hardened team and should dominate the overachievers here. Duncan has probably already lost the MVP to Garnett, so he'll be keen. Spurs in 4.

Dallas @ Sacramento - Probably the matchup of the first round. The Kings have an edge in defence and they both like to score, but they are slumping... especially since Webber got back into the lineup. I just love watching the Mavs play and us Laker fans have to hate the Kings: Mavericks in 7.

half

Coach
i'll be proud to see miami make the 2nd round... never expected anything like that at the start of the season

also have to fancy minnesota to finally make the 2nd round

raz

Juniors
Ill be looking forward to see how the lakers go. It will be tough for me watching there match ups the bastards know how to get it done

raz

Juniors
Playoff Predictions

1st Round
Minnesota over Denver in 5
Sacramento over Dallas in 6
Spurs over Memphis in 7
Lakers over Houston in 6

Indiana over Boston in 5
New Orleans over Miami in 6
Detroit over Milwaukee in 4
New York over New Jersey in 6

Semi Finals
Sacramento over Minnesota in 7
Spurs over Lakers in 5

Indiana over New Orleans in 6
Detroit over New York in 5

Conference Finals
Detroit over Indiana in 4
Kings over Spurs in 7

Finals
Kings over Detroit 6 games

Rockets could have won tonight if they could shoot better. They did a great job of defending, but shot poorly, and missed a 3 at the buzzer that would have won.

The Lakers may win this series but I can't see them beating a better team - they aren't playing very well at all.

72-71?

I didn't see the game, but going by the box scores it doesn't look too good. They'll struggle even more when they go to Texas. Especially if they draw Dallas or San Antonio after Houston.

All predictions were right so far. The three other games had clear cut voctories to the home sides.

The good thing for the Lakers is that their best player had a shocker, but they still won. Either way, it was 1 down and 15 to go.

Kings won pretty comfortably in the end. Antoine Walker and Dirk Novitski didn't matchup well with Divac and Webber. That's going to be their spot to win the series in my books. Stojacovic also had a big game and the Kings shot the lights out.

raz

Juniors
Minnesota are about to beat Denver
Miami won
Detroits defense is the best how will they go in containing the western powerhouses?

El Coconuto

Bench
Even though the Mav's lost game one to Sacramento I think they'll provide the upset of the first round. Miami also looks the goods to knock New Orleans out but the Hornets are one of the most over-rated teams in the NBA.

I think we'll see:

Indiana - New Jersey - Detroit - Miami prevail out of the East.

Minnesota - Los Angelas - San Antonio - Dallas come out of the West.

edabomb

First Grade
I reckon Sactown will take the Mavs in 5. Mavs have looked poor every time i've seen them since the first month when Antoine Walker was going so well. I think the top4 seeds will get out from each conference, New Orleans being the only realistic chance at an upset.
I just hope Minnesota takes it all, Sam Cassell is the man!!!

Wooh!!! Mavs destroyed the Kings today. Good to see!

Lakers went down yesterday. Sounds like all is not well with Payton too. I am actually very worried.

raz

Juniors
Melo and LeBron should of been Co Rookies of the year even though Melo had the better team.

Wooh!!! Kings won by a basket today. Good to see! :lol:

I cant see any team beating the Spurs i would be shocked if they dont go the distance.

El Coconuto

Bench
For freakin hecks sake! Why would you give the ball to Nash in the crunch on a half-court offense? Ummmmm, hello you had had a 7-Footed Dirk Nowitzki rolling off and into the post onto a 6-Foot Mike Bibby! Nup, nash decides to hold onto the ball and jack up a no hoper. Deadset hero!

Either Steve Nash is the biggest hero in town or Don Nelson is the biggest sped there is! Bloody hell!

Let's just hope that if the Mavs do get knocked out, Sacramento follow suite next round :x

edabomb

First Grade
I don't get how anyone can argue Carmello over LeBron. LeBron is a once in a decade talent, and he delivered. If you put LeBron in a team with Carmellos supporting cast he would have given you 55wins IMO. Carmello improved heaps since new years though, he stopped jacking up so many bad shots and has become one of the top10 SF's in the league. Andre Miller has to take a lot of credit for Denver. I guess it is close but i still can't see Carmello as having had a better season than LeBron.

Nash and Finley have both been non existant these playoffs

El Coconuto

Bench
LeBron's team isn't nearly as bad as people put them down to. True they aren't as good as Carmelo's Nuggets, but they didn't exactly have to be because they are in the Eastern Conference. Carmelo, took the Nuggets to the playoffs in the West, and we all know how much harder it is to make the playoffs there than in the East.

Statistically, Anthony kept pace with James in almost all categories if not surpassing him. All done with minimal court time compared to James. Yao Ming and Amare Stoudamire had resembling statistics to each other and yet Yao was the only one of the Rookies the media seemed to recognise.

I'm not saying he should have been the sole Rookie of the Year. Co Rookie of the year would've been substancial. However I still maintain that there is nothing LeBron did in the end that outshines Carmelo.

raz

Juniors
What are everyones tips for the upcoming Spurs VS Lakers Matchup?
Its Fair to say this will be the best series in the playoffs! I hope they show all 7 games on ESPN, the Rob Horry factor... i cant wait for that but unfortunately i see Lakers taking this one in 7 they thrive as under dogs :|

El Coconuto said:
For freakin hecks sake! Why would you give the ball to Nash in the crunch on a half-court offense? Ummmmm, hello you had had a 7-Footed Dirk Nowitzki rolling off and into the post onto a 6-Foot Mike Bibby! Nup, nash decides to hold onto the ball and jack up a no hoper. Deadset hero!

Either Steve Nash is the biggest hero in town or Don Nelson is the biggest sped there is! Bloody hell!

Let's just hope that if the Mavs do get knocked out, Sacramento follow suite next round :x

As moderator, one of the things I don't like to see is any criticism of Canadian players. Leave Nash alone. :)

Just kidding. I didn't see the game. But it looks like the Kings should move on now.

On the Carmelo vs. Lebron question. Carmelo had very similar stats, and led a team that was equally weak as the Cavs the year before, into the playoffs in the tougher of the 2 conferences. I don't even think think Denver's surrounding talent is much better, if at all. With Boozer, Ilgauskas, and the late addition of Macinnis at pg, the Cavs had good enough talent to get into the playoffs, especially since the last few teams in the East had terrible records.

On the other hand, I know Lebron is an awesome talent. And in the playoff games I've watched, I think Carmelo is shooting a bit too much, and trying to do too much himself under the playoff pressure.

Both these guys will be stars for the next 10 or more years.