What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nearly missed this gem

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22381133-5006066,00.html
"Mate, I don't think you'll find too many silvertails around this way," smiles Aboriginal back-rower Dean Widders. "Souths have always been for the working man, the battler.

"And now we're winning games, these people can head off to their jobs each Monday smiling. They say they're from South Sydney and feel good about that."
Holmes a Court agrees.

"Russell and I have been very fortunate in life but we're not the club," he says. "The South Sydney club is all about the fans, about the district we're from. I was at Matraville Sports High this week and to suggest these kids are silvertails, it's laughable.

"Yes, people in South Sydney want more. Yes, they aspire for their kids to do great things. But history shows they have to start out in a rough, tough environment.

"And now, thanks to our success in the NRL, it's helping people realise their own goals. Proving anything is possible."
Aboriginal forklift driver Dave Spears puts it even simpler as we stand near the entrance to The Block.

"The kids here," he smiles, "are all walkin' around like they're 10-feet tall."
South Sydney has always been for the people.

Just ask the 80,000 supporters who marched alongside George Piggins. The 2982 members who voted to privatise. Even the 396 members of The Burrow. Or you can just speak with Liz O'Neill. A Rabbitohs fan right down to her red and green painted fingernails, Liz reckons she is forever indebted to 1970s legends like Ron Coote and John Sattler.
Blah blah typical Souths story we've heard again and again.

"When Mum had me in 1971, she was a Maroubra girl, a single parent and doing it fairly tough," the university law student explains.

"But every couple of weeks we'd always find this basket sitting at our doorstep - filled with blankets, jumpers, all sorts of stuff.

"And that kept happening for three years. Only recently someone finally told us it was the Rabbitohs players who organised it."

Guess they couldn't be sure who the father was.:lol::lol:

I'm really getting sick of this 'Aussie Battler' bs title.. Go ask the starving children in africa that die of aids every day what they think of the term 'Aussie Battler'.