What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nearly Sport Private Competition

perverse

Referee
lol yeah, that guy sounds screwed.

the thing that worries me is that most of the guys that bid the massive overs on players actually nailed most of their picks. some got close to their full 15. they don't have much left to play with, though.

the question is, will their teams of champions be able to overcome a champion team. the suspects had Luke last year, but aside from him were generally littered with cheap pickups, and had no halves or goalkicker for large chunks of the year. you have to trade and work the player pool pretty hard, but that's what i love about fantasy football. good initial recruitment obviously helps massively, but if you're astute with your pickups you can recover easily enough if you fluff it at the start, which i often do. mostly i really underestimate just how much people are willing to pay for certain players...

smacky

Juniors
ye i struggled abit with my recruiting, last year most of the top forwards were getting around 450-500k this year its up to 700-800k, gotta rethink the strategy

OK, so 10 teams, standard recruitment (bidding) - alot of comps have been going for a short draft eg 2-5 players as an idea. Points are standard, what about finals (top 8, top 8 AFL style, top 5?) and what level of bidding visibility (show number of bids, 3 or more, or show only there is a bid?).

I'll check back in tomorrow night to set it up if we have a consensus.

smacky

Juniors
ye so 10 teams is good, i think everyone believes the bidding is the best option, as for finals if its 10 teams do people think a top 5 is the best option?, as for bidding visibility i have no idea,

Special K

Coach
Can I sk we bid on 25 for the first round? 15 is so limiting and everyone ends up over paying in the 2nd round otherwise.

Can I sk we bid on 25 for the first round? 15 is so limiting and everyone ends up over paying in the 2nd round otherwise.

I sort of think the other way, you bid on 25 & only get say 12/25 the players left would be crap, I suggest 3 rounds 7, 8 , 10 this way everyone would have pretty good teams, oh & 2 goalkickers too 1 in 1st draft & 1 in 3rd draft, just my spin on things

Johns Magic

Referee
ugh... i just got super f**ked on the first round of bidding in public league 22. managed to get 5 of my bids, but they weren't really 5 i was hanging out for. have oodles of cap to burn now, though... in the vicinity of 4.5mill still, lol.

there are squads out there that have like $500k spare and are packed with players on overs... one dude paid $950k for Carney. lol.

One guy in my comp just paid 850K for Corey Parker...

Smiley

Bench
Some guy paid 901K for Gallen in my comp also 650K for Marshall, 801K for Farah, 600K for Heighington and 601K for Vatuvei.

The highest I've paid for any player was 400K.

perverse

Referee
wtf @ some of these prices. similar stories in my public comp. 800k+ isn't uncommon. i guess some players just get really keen on a certain player, or certain groups of players. i like to think i'm dynamic enough to handle scenarios where my favourites don't come my way, rather than paying stupid overs to ensure they do.

i also agree with Berkeley Eagle, restrict the number of players we can bid on initially before increasing it. increasing it will only result in certain squads missing out on the bulk of their players and having very very little to fish from the player pool.

after championing the bidding process, im starting to think that a small draft at the start - say 2 or 3 players per team, isn't a bad way to kick things off. i didn't know it was possible. it culls the top 20 or 30 picks from the player pool, and everyone gets a dig at some quality to begin with before the open bidding starts. this is a very good system, i think.

showing visibility to me is easy mode... but at the same time i think it encourages out of the box recruitment and rewards skilled players that pick up good, cheap pickups on the fringes rather than going all out on the big stars. it also makes it hard to ninja players from others, so i'm really not torn either way on that one.

what i have found with "3 or more" bidding is that once a star is on a player, you can pretty much forget about getting him unless you're droppin no too far under a mill for him. people go spastic for that star and panic.

also agree with Berkeley that 2 goalkickers is the go, 1 in the first draft and then it depends what model we're going with after that, but last goalkicker should be enable as late as possible in the system.

top 5 seems logical for a 10 team comp.

squad I ended up with

CARNEY, Todd Sydney Roosters Five-Eighth, Halfback, Goalkicker $590,000
UATE, Akuila Newcastle Knights Winger $401,000
GILLETT, Matt Brisbane Broncos Centre, Back Rower $174,000
MITCHELL, Anthony Parramatta Eels Hooker $40,000
CHERRY-EVANS, Dale Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Halfback $160,000
FISIIAHI, Glen Warriors Winger $100,000
HOPOATE, Will Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Fullback, Winger $66,000
BOSDEN, Jack St George Illawarra Dragons Back Rower $101,000
CUTHBERTSON, Adam St George Illawarra Dragons Back rower $133,000
LINNETT, Kane Sydney Roosters Centre $140,000
CARNEY, Justin Sydney Roosters Winger, Centre $230,000
PETTYBOURNE, Eddy South Sydney Rabbitohs Back Rower $201,000
FARRELL, Dylan South Sydney Rabbitohs Centre, Five-Eighth $201,000
WALSH, Luke Penrith Panthers Halfback $251,000
GRANT, Tim Penrith Panthers Front rower $151,000
MOIMOI, Fuifui Parramatta Eels Front rower $199,000
HALL, Glenn North Queensland Cowboys Back Rower, Front Rower $130,000
NIKO, Elijah Melbourne Storm Winger $130,000
BIRD, Greg Gold Coast Titans Five-Eighth, Back Rower $216,000
MATAI, Steve Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Centre $181,000
NORMAN, Corey Brisbane Broncos Fullback, Five-Eighth $190,000
KITE, Brent Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Front rower $301,000
ROSE, George Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Front rower $301,000
THURLING, Trevor Canberra Raiders Back rower, Front rower $101,000
FALLOON, Beau South Sydney Rabbitohs Hooker $272,000

So I think I've captured the general feel.

10 teams, top 5, next 5 best of the rest.
Short draft of 3 players each followed by bidding war. You can recruit 1 goalkicker during the draft and then another during the bidding war.

Hope that's all ok and you have fun. Cheers, HOTD.

1. Go to nearlysport.com
2. Register an account if you have not already
3. Log in to your account.
4. Select "Private Competitions" - "Enter Team" from the front page.
5. Enter the Competition ID: 5408
6. Enter the Team Activation Password: LU4567
7. When all teams have been activated a draw will be generated and recruitment will begin.