What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neil Henry - New coach - Canberra Times

Boing Boing

Juniors
On the back page this morning, the Tims reports that Henry will be our coach for 3 years. It is to be finalised this morning. He flew down for a secret meeting in Hawkins' home on saturday, so the person who saw him at the airport was on to something.

I'm happy with his appointment, if he has anything to do with the Cowboys success, I welcome him.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I am concerned about this. I really believe that the club needed a big name coach to have a hope of luring players down to Canberra.

Still, if it's Henry then I wish him all the best of luck and strongly suggest that he starts his poaching from NQ now!

legend

Coach
Hardly the high profile coach we were after was it?

Tell me, how does a guy who is yet to coach a first grade game qualify as a high profile coach?

We've been down this road with Meninga and Elliott and neither bore any fruit. IMO, Henry was the cheapest option and Hawkins and co thought about the bottom line once again instead of results.

I'll wait until this is official before I comment any further.

Boing Boing

Juniors
legend said:
Hardly the high profile coach we were after was it?

Tell me, how does a guy who is yet to coach a first grade game qualify as a high profile coach?

We've been down this road with Meninga and Elliott and neither bore any fruit. IMO, Henry was the cheapest option and Hawkins and co thought about the bottom line once again instead of results.

I'll wait until this is official before I comment any further.

The article mentioned that they wanted Daniel Anderson first, but he was unable to retain a release from his English club.

And it looks like you've cracked it, Legend. The Raiders are too poor and they've secretly gone for the cheapest, most low-profile coach they possibly could.

Don't be such a pelican mate.

aussies1st

Staff member
It's fairly obvious he will be coach. We could have got Chris Anderson months ago, so clearly they don't want him. Since it's a 2 horse race Henry is it.

thickos

First Grade
I think this is a better move than C.Anderson. If it was to be Chris Anderson it would have been announced ages ago.

While Henry isn't well known by all reports he is a good young coach and as an old Canberra man he isn't a stranger to the place.

The question remains, is this a transitory appointment while we wait for bigger fish to come off contract?

Boing Boing

Juniors
thickos said:
I think this is a better move than C.Anderson. If it was to be Chris Anderson it would have been announced ages ago.

While Henry isn't well known by all reports he is a good young coach and as an old Canberra man he isn't a stranger to the place.

The question remains, is this a transitory appointment while we wait for bigger fish to come off contract?

A 3 year deal suggests that they're giving him a bit of time, but not too much. I'm happy with that.

A change is as good as a holiday.

Tigertread

Juniors
Neil Henry has a lot to do with the success of the Cowboys.
A top bloke who knows his football and knows how to get the best out of players. He will be missed up here.
I wish him all the best with the Raiders.

legend

Coach
How will an unproven coach attract high profile players? As it is, we don't have the cattle to make the top eight let alone challenge for the premiership.

skeepe

Immortal
According to the Canberra Times report, Henry was chosen, among other reasons, because he has a great track record getting the best out of juniors and getting them ready for first grade, something that we haven't seen under the current setup.

Craig Bellamy had never coached first grade before the Storm and he's done an awesome job in attracting players and building up juniors.

I think Henry is the right move for the long-term aspect of this club.

Leethal

Juniors
legend said:
we don't have the cattle to make the top eight let alone challenge for the premiership.

Legend - disagree here. We DO have the cattle. Look at all the terrific kids coming through!!
But they have been poorly coached. Hopefully, with Neil Henry on board, that will change.

dubby

Bench
:shock:

Yeah, i'm shocked.

Like its been said, lets hope he's as good as Bellamy. I know nothing about Henry, but from what i've read, he seems to be a developing type of coach, not a high profile superstar.

Roy Rover

Juniors
Legend I agree with you 100%.
It's obvious he got the job because he was the cheapest option.
He's probably on 150-200k where as someone like Anderson would be holding out for 500k.
Why make a point of saying we're only going to get someone with first grade coaching experience if you're not going to follow it through.
I'm sure Henry's a good bloke but his CV is so unimpressive the Canberra Times would have been better off not printing it.
Once again the management have promised a lot and failed to deliver!

legend

Coach
Leethal said:
Legend - disagree here. We DO have the cattle. Look at all the terrific kids coming through!!
But they have been poorly coached. Hopefully, with Neil Henry on board, that will change.

We do have some great kids but are some hacks in the mix as well. I still think we are a good 3 years from competing again but we'll just have to wait and see.

Boing Boing

Juniors
I think we're about 5 years from a title. We all knew we weren't going to do much this year, but I think our younger blokes will be in their prime come 2011.