What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never to play first grade again

SouthernTiger

Juniors
Kerr is a stronger defender than Prince and last night there were a few ocasions when the game could have blown out as Keiran was the only making any tackles. However, on that performance alone Keiran should not be there next week. He had a poor game

cheers

s. tiger

daslacker

Juniors
Na i still want a kerr/prince combo.If we can give blokes like fitzy a 1000 chance's
one more won't hurt.I highly doubt sheens will though

innsaneink

Referee
madunit said:
Fitzy is a world class five eighth when compared to kerr's abilities as a halfback.

Everyone seems to hate Fitzy so much, he's missed the last three games and in those three games we have had nothing in attack and have had no go forward at all.

Surely your not as ignorant to believe that none of this is attributable to Fitzys absence?

I think defense was our problem against the Roosters and Saints....he might have given us something in attack....but with no defence whats the point?
The guy cant tackle for shit! and 'Fitzhenry' and 'five-eighth' are words that shoud NEVER be used in a sentence without a 'never' in there as well.

On a side note......Canberras first try in 2nd half......Ive heard a lot of poor defenders on these boards referred to as turnstiles.... :lol: ...Wilson actually looked like one.

braz

Juniors
you blokes have some serious issues.

daniel fitzhenry has missed the last three games through injury and you are still bagging him.

maybe you should have a look at the rest of the team involved in those debarcles instead of singling out fitzy.

he will come straight back into the side when fit and so he should because he is a more than competent first grader.

you blokes are off with the fairys

HappyTiger

Juniors
Kerr was poor last night.No doubt about it.But im not gonna write him off based on one or two average games.He probably wont get another chance unless injuries occur and its important for him that he goes back to PL and learns from his mistakes.

If Sheens doesnt give Kerr another go I can guarantee Galea will be in the halves with Prince based on the fact he moved there late in the game against the raiders. He also set up the try when moodie found space on the wing that led to hodgsons try and I think he can develop a kicking game. Either way there will not be mass changes cause unfortunately the lower grade sides are not performing and many of the players will not make a dfference in first grade.

B_Tiger

Juniors
in my opinion, kerr played badly on a bad side. Where previously benji was outside him and hodgo had a much higher involvement (and our side actually supported the runner) he performed alright. But, I don't think he is a good enough organiser for first grade. He has a really good running game and can get away with things in first division because of the extra space, but he obviously cracked last night under first grade pressure.

My point about prince is that he is doing a hell of a lot with very little out there. It is very hard to look good at halfback on our side. That's why I think moving him would be a terrible idea. Our backline needs a lot of work and our forwards are some of the worst in the competition (only outperforming manly, warriors and souths). The big issue for the tigers is the front row. We have f**k all. Skando would be very good on a very good side, but he doesn't help on a side like the tigers. A player who just does alright getting five or so metres a hit-up and an average tackling game is not a good first grader. Skando performs best as an impact player coming off the bench, as a 60 minute prop he is zero impact. Payten also isn't a starting prop (and maybe not even a bench prop). His size is what makes him worthwhile and he was obviously buggered out on the field in the second half and should have been taken off, he shouldn't play more then 30 mins a match. Gibbs hasn't yet proven to be valuable in first grade and could do with more time in first divison to continue getting bigger, more confidence and maybe learn a little more of the aggresion he apparently has, because I don't want another skando. We need to stop f**king around with two hookers and put some impact runners on the bench because we looked terrible last night. Small is a must, and has been all season. Last night we went in to the match with one prop on the bench (gibbs). That is exactly what has been wrong with us all year. Playing one prop, one hooker, one second rower and one utility is just a terrible decision after our two floggings. Sheens didn't change the formula at all. Considering that we are struggling so badly in the front row, it amazes me that small can't crack first grade.

On halatau, I think he is a terrific player, and easily our best at the moment. It is impossible to defend well when the defensive line is not moving up off the goal line. The defense in the middle needs to get more men in the tackle to slow down the play the ball so that the d-line can have time to get back on the line and get in the face of the attacking side. All match we gave them far too much space and were lucky to get away with the final scoreline. If it was a better side we would have been hammered. It isn't halatau's fault that he misses a tackle when he is on the back foot, that is impossible for an outside centre and is only looking for a scapegoat. Elford's defense is what should be questioned. He is caught in two minds far too often and has been all season. Halatau has always been decisive in defense and always tackles strongly.

But, you all love to blame the halves for everything. Our problem is forwards. We need to be far more dominant if we are going to win another game. How much attacking opportunity did we get last night? The penalties were bad but canberra were the dominant side last night because they put much more effort into their defense and had the forwards to push us onto our back feet. Scott Prince would not have won the match for us last night.

I hate when coaches blame the ref for a match, and I think sheens has been far too leniant with his players in recent weeks. We can play better, and have this season. Some discipline needs to be hammered into our defense and rather then be angry at the ref, sheens should work on the things that can be controlled...like defensive agression, supporting the runner and getting a straight defensive line on kick-offs. This is simple stuff that a half decent footy side should be able to execute. We are probably in the worst form of any side at the moment.

B_Tiger

Juniors
Eye_Of_The_Tiger said:
If Sheens doesnt give Kerr another go I can guarantee Galea will be in the halves with Prince based on the fact he moved there late in the game against the raiders.

he's my pick for 5/8. We need a player of his intelligence in the halves. He is more capable at 5/8 then wilson and is more experienced then fulton. Plus, I'd rather have a stronger runner taking his place on the bench.

Well said B_Tiger now that you've identified the problems we need to come up with the solutions and unfortunately in regards to the front row it is not going to happen to we buy some quality front rowers and it doesn't help our cause when Boof is out as he has the best leg drive and go forward out of the tiges forwards.

B_Tiger

Juniors
I agree, it seems like a very hard problem for us. The front row was always our biggest concern coming into the season and has proven to be far worse then expected. There is very little (if anything) below the first grade squad, so it's obivously something we are stuck with. But, small is someone who will help and Lima would have been very handy had he not been injured playing first division. Plus, the players non-selection left them in first divison and forced Rob simpkins on to the bench which discouraged him enough to return to NZ. He was not only a good first divison quality prop, but might have found his way into first grade by this time in the season. Three dominant, hard running props all left in first divison when that is what we needed in first grade.

I agree about boof as well, he should go immedietely into the front row. Whether or not that is his best position, it is where the side desperately needs him. I think he outperformed skando there all year.

Latest posts