What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Aboriginal comp to rival CRL

The Nations Aboriginal Rugby League will kick off in 2007 with 14 teams from across northern NSW. This could have an impact on current CRL competitions. The comp will have 14 teams including: Bourke, Walgett, Goodooga, Moree Mission Jets, Moree Boomerangs, Toomelah Tigers, Tamworth, Narwan Eels (Armidale), Tabulum (Bunjalung) Nambucca, Gimbisi Warriors (Kempsey), Dunghutti Titons Bellbrook (Kempsey), Taree, and Newcastle All Blacks. That could expand in 2008.
Who will administer the comp and where they will get referees etc from is unclear. They NARL will meet with the CRL next week. Basically it has been set up because the founders of NARL believe Aboriginal players/clubs are not getting a fair go with the CRL. The likes of Moree Boomerangs, Narwan, Gimbisi and South Taree have been kicked out of their respective competitions is the last 10 years and this is a way for them to get back on the paddock.
One thing is for sure the NARL aren't fans of the CRL.
The following is a quote from NARL chief executive Michael Anderson on the matter.

"When asked by the NSW Rugby League what relationship could be forged with Country Rugby League, the Aboriginal delegates from as far as Bourke made it very clear that Country Rugby League and their divisional administrators have done nothing to encourage Aboriginal people to continue participating in Country Rugby League competitions, because Country Rugby League development has not been seen for 30 years, especially in western and north-western NSW.
"Furthermore, every year for the past five years, all we have seen from Country divisional leaders is the expulsion of Aboriginal owned and controlled Rugby League clubs for no good reason. Our delegates made it very clear - our time with Country Rugby League is finished."

Watch this space.

Zigwaa

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:

"the expulsion of Aboriginal owned and controlled Rugby League clubs for no good reason."

No reason??? Weren't Moree Boomerangs booted for repeated abuse of officials and fear from teams playing against them?

aarondoyle

Juniors
Well good on them. If they want to play the greatest game in the world and they don't think they can do that in the CRL, then I wish them all the very best.

More people playing and enjoying Rugby League the better. Maybe it'll be a roaring sucess and introduce more promising young footy stars from regional areas into the NRL.

aarondoyle said:
Well good on them. If they want to play the greatest game in the world and they don't think they can do that in the CRL, then I wish them all the very best.

More people playing and enjoying Rugby League the better. Maybe it'll be a roaring sucess and introduce more promising young footy stars from regional areas into the NRL.
I agree. BUT
It won't work.

t-ba

Post Whore
Perth Red said:
You'd be a brave man to put your hand up to ref in that league!

How many accredited aboriginal referees are there in the region? If they've walked away from the CRL (I don't know enough about the issue to make a judgement either way on whether the action is just. But I'll say now any segregation along racial lines shouldn't be viewed as a good thing), I can hardly see them agreeing to allowing thier Referees to be used in the competition.

Personally, I think it's sad this situation has got to this. Hopefully the Aboriginal clubs and the CRL can come to some kind of fair and equitable conclusion to this ugly business some time in the not too distant future.

t-ba said:
How many accredited aboriginal referees are there in the region? If they've walked away from the CRL (I don't know enough about the issue to make a judgement either way on whether the action is just. But I'll say now any segregation along racial lines shouldn't be viewed as a good thing), I can hardly see them agreeing to allowing thier Referees to be used in the competition.
There are very few Aboriginal referees in Northern Division, I'd reckon it would be the same in Western Division and there are no referees in the far west because there's no footy out there at present. They would have to find their own people willing to do it and have them trained. The chances of them finding these people is unlikely and if they do find them they will need the CRL to train them. That means they need to cooperate with the CRL after criticising the CRL for "doing nothing for Aboriginal RL" this week. The other alternative is to ask the CRL to provide refs which would not only mean cooperation but serious CRL scrutiny which they won't like.

t-ba said:
Personally, I think it's sad this situation has got to this. Hopefully the Aboriginal clubs and the CRL can come to some kind of fair and equitable conclusion to this ugly business some time in the not too distant future.
The thing is these clubs have little to complain about. Some of them have been excluded from Group competition by their rival clubs, some are clubs that have never played Group footy and some are from out west where the old Group comps are now defunct. Those that have been kicked out of their Groups may feel hard done by in some cases but even if the CRL thought they should be returned to their Groups it's not up to them, it's up to the member clubs of those Groups. Of those who have not been part of the Group structure, they can hardly complain about the CRL because they've never played under the CRL banner. And of those that have been left with no competition, they have little to complain about because in many cases it was poor administration at a local level that saw their competitions fold. I can give two examples of this.
1) In 2000 a competition was set up for the far western communities to play in. It included Walgett, Brewarrina, Collerenebri, Bourke, Goodooga and a few others. The CRL provided jerseys, shorts, socks, referees and $800 so clubs could start their own canteen to make money for themselves. It didn't take long for the comp to degenerate as jumpers went missing, teams failed to show for games, referees were abused and assaulted and clubs wasted their money and were asking the CRL for more. Eventually it folded despite every effort from the CRL.
2) The CRL set up a second division based at Moree that involved the Boomerangs, Toomelah, Mission Jets, Pallamallawa, Mungindi and a couple of others. The 'Rangs refused to let Group 4 run the comp and said they would organise their own refs. When that didn't happen Group 4 provided the referees and oversaw the comp. The clubs were even admitted to Group 4 and had the same rights as the Tamworth based second division clubs, except they never came to meetings and so never used their voting rights. Again problems arose, the 'Rangs refused to play under Group 4 for example, and when Group 4 asked that locals step in to administer the comp it all went to sh*t. The Group tried again two years ago to get the comp back running but midway through the season the comp folded because of no shows and fighting.
There apears to be very little future for Aboriginal clubs in Group footy. They just don't seem to be able to handle the administration side of things and for some reason on and off field problems seem to follow these teams. Yet when the players split up and play for non Aboriginal clubs, even clubs that have more black players than white, the problems seem to go away.
And that brings me to the main point. Aboriginal players in places like Tamworth, Armidale, Kempsey, Taree, Newcastle etc are NOT being prevented from playing RL. They don not have to play for an Aboriginal club to play RL. There is nothing stopping these players from joining non Aboriginal clubs, many would have played with non Aboriginal clubs before anyway. That is the future for these players if they wish to continue playing in country NSW.

langpark

First Grade
great news i reckon. if it can get young aboriginals off the booze and drugs then that's great. We should hope this is successful coz maybe in a few years NT and other states mite set up similar things, i personally think there's alotta untapped talent there.

As for refs, i'd imagine they'll try and get aboriginal refs.

Does anyone know the rules about whether or not white people are allowed to play. It's good that they're trying to reach out and do something for Aboriginal communities, but i hope it doesn't make us more divided.

Players of any race will be welcome to play. The biggest problem will be logistics with regards to travelling great distances for a game and the cost of doing so. If a team is out of finals contention, it is hard seeing 20 people going 500km to get beat by 50 points. The best thing about this is that the CRL will be forced to sit up and take notice at the resentment towards them in the Aboriginal community.

And as for the suggestion this will rival the CRL - how can a 14 team comp spread accross the state go close to rivalling the 20 odd group competitions that boast an average of about 9 clubs each? Few things can get a whole country town excited more than winning the local grand final. I can't see it becoming reality (refs are a major issue too) but if they do, I wish them all the success.

Philby said:
Yeah it was the same for Gimbisi Warriors
there were all in brawls involving players, officals and supporters and it happened more than once. They were dismissed from the comp and let back in, officals from rival clubs were fuming when they were let back in.

parra pete

Referee
It happened in Group 17.
A Referee locked himself in a scorers box at Hillston.
Opposing Clubs and supporters threatened. Foul and abusive language the norm. And undisciplined play where attacking the head of players was the order of the day.
The main referee involved in the boycott, was, himself, aboriginal
When referees in Group 17 boycotted games involving Euabalong, two of the four are aboriginal, including one The Chairman of a the Local Aboriginal Land Council, who was disgusted at their behaviour.
The decision to ban MBE was DEFINITELY not based on race.
The MBE side had a lot of gifted footballers. If they could just ignore the urgings from the sidelines inciting them to violence, and maintain concentration when they got behind and played footy instead of throwing in the towel, they were a tough side for any team to beat..

brendothejet

First Grade
Ive played against a few country sides in tournaments and they were tough. just reading these stories thinking about playing out in the country leagues drew me to one conclusion.

Not on your f**king life.

lol.

Hopefully all goes well for the new setup but I can't see it working when they are going against the established organising party.

The ARL have refused to sanction the NARL and now only the CRL can give it the go ahead. After what the NARL boss said about the CRL he has some fences to mend. The CRL may sanction the NARL but I'd expect there to be some significant strings attached.

innsaneink

Referee
ARL bans breakaway league

By Barry Dick
January 14, 2007 11:00pm

Article from:
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

THE Australian Rugby League has moved quickly to torpedo a proposed breakaway Aboriginal competition in NSW.
Indigenous leaders in several NSW country centres are threatening to form their own 14-team Nations Aboriginal Rugby League in direct competition to NSW Country Rugby League. They have also accused the CRL of having "racist elements" following a series of decisions to exclude Aboriginal clubs because of crowd and players misbehaviour.
In the past nine years, four Aboriginal clubs – Moree Boomerangs, Narwan Eels, Gimbisi Warriors and Murrin Bridge-Euabalong – have been thrown out of competitions because of alleged misconduct by players or spectators.
The Australian and NSW Rugby Leagues today formally notified the NARL it would not be affiliated, which will make it extremely hard for the proposed competition to get up and running.
ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said: "Any body wishing to discuss any competition should do so with the appropriate governing body, which in this case is the Country Rugby League.
"The CRL has been in existence since 1934 and is recognised by both the ARL and NSWRL as the body responsible for the development and participation of rugby league throughout the NSW country areas.
"If any body, such as the Aboriginal Rugby League, has ideas relating to the formulation of competitions that would be mutually beneficial, these should be discussed with the CRL to gain the formal sanction of that body."

Alex28

Coach
Perhaps if they have their own league they will take some pride in it and behave themselves. The Boomerangs were a disgrace in Group 19 and I would suggest that the officials up there have long memories. Kicking Narwan out recently certainly wouldn't help their cause.

I can't blame the CRL for not wanting to back it. If it goes to s*** they wont want to be dragged down with it.

The Australian and NSW Rugby Leagues have today formally notified the NSW Aboriginal Rugby League (NARL) they would not affiliate with a proposed NARL competition incorporating teams across northern NSW.

Chief Executive of the Australian Rugby League and General Manager of the NSW Rugby League, Mr Geoff Carr, said today;

“Any body wishing to discuss any competition should do so with the appropriate governing body, which in this case is the Country Rugby League,” Carr said.

“The CRL has been in existence since 1934 and is recognised by both the ARL and NSW Rugby League as the body responsible for the development and participation of rugby league throughout the NSW country areas.

“If any body, such as the NSW Aboriginal Rugby League, has ideas relating to the formulation of competitions that would be mutually beneficial, these should be discussed with the CRL to gain the formal sanction of that body.”

For further information please contact ARL Media Manager Doug MacDougall: (02) 9237 0760, 0402 873 154

The above was an ARL press release from yesterday. They have made things very hard for the new competition.

The ARL's decision is pretty predictable really. They, the NSWRL and the CRL are all part of the one family, though they are autonimous bodies. It would have been pretty rude if the ARL approved the NARL without the CRL agreeing.
The decision means the CRL must give the NARL the nod before it continues. They will meet tomorrow. The CRL may allow the NARL to continue but there will have to be significant consultation and co-operation with the CRL on a number of issues including insurance, referees etc. if it is to go ahead.