What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Aboriginal comp to rival CRL

Zigwaa

Bench
Dubbo Macquarie still field 3 teams in First grade, Reserves and under 18s in group 11.

Dunno, what Anderson is on about.

Mate, what he says is full of holes. South Grafton played in Group 1/Northern Rivers Regional RL, not Group 2 and I've never even heard of South Lismore, maybe he's talking about Lismore Workers. Those clubs folded because of poor administration. He also mentions Maitland. Maitland also folded due to poor administration (twice now it seems). None of this is because of the CRL or ARL. The CRL has actually backed Aboriginal clubs like Gimbisi Warriors and Narwan when their Groups wanted to kick them out. The only reason they were eventually left out of those competitions is because they were voted out in a legitimate constitutional process which the CRL has no right, under its own rules, to overturn. He also talks about the lack of CRL or ARL development officers in the west of the state, but there are no competitions out there and for the RLs to spend money out there like they do in other areas would be a waste of their limited resources. Plus the Dept of Sport and Rec provide development work for Aboriginal communities out west at the taxpayers expense.

Heard a few days ago that this may still go ahead.
They just had to get back to the NSWRL and CRL with full details and they may approve it.

It was approved yesterday. They will play under the CRL, basically like a CRL Group. But a heap of the clubs have already pulled out so it might only go ahead with around six or seven clubs. They will meet with the CRL again on Monday to finalise the deal and sign contracts.

parra pete

Referee
How long will the new competition last without a major controversy???
If they are under the CRL banner does this mean apartheid exists in Rugby League?
If they were banned under CRL rules, how can the teams be allowed back in..
Seems, to me, to be a HUGE disaster waiting to happen.

The CRL will ensure they understand exactly what is expected of them and will keep a pretty close eye on the new comp. CRL refs will be used so no misbehaviour will be tolerated. They're on a 12-month trial contract so they have to meet expectations or they could lose their affiliation. Clubs that had their applications refused by CRL Groups will be allowed to play because while they were excluded from individual Groups that does not mean they are excluded from other Groups (in this case it's the new comp rather than an existing Group). The biggest question is why some of these clubs are allowed to play under the CRL when they owe money, but it seems the CRL is willing to forget those debts for now.

In a related matter, the CRL has asked Group 2 to re-hear an application by the Gimbisi Warriors to play in G2 this year while Group 19 must do the same with Narwan. Those meetings will take place next week and if they are accepted they will return to their Groups. If not they will play in the new comp. TBH the new comp needs them because team numbers are starting to decline. They named 14 originally but that has been reduced to nine. Of the nine clubs expected to play, two (those that I mentioned) may go back to Groups, while at least one that I know of is struggling for player numbers and will not have a junior side. In fact I can't see them getting enough teams for a decent junior comp.

The clubs in the new comp are not allowed to poach players that are already registered to CRL clubs for 2007. They will probably also have a rep side that will play against CRL Groups. They have said they are going to NZ to play the Maori at the end of the year and will also play Lebanon but there is some skepticism as to whether those games will actually take place because I've heard that the Maori RL know nothing about it.

The new comp will not be called the Nations Aboriginal Super League. Exacty what it will be called is yet to be confirmed but the organisation is now calling itself NSW Aboriginal Rugby League and Sporting Inc. (NARLSI). They will get a seat on the CRL general committee but want a seat on the management committee, though they probably won't get it. It will start, at this stage, on the first weekend in April. They said they will try to avoid clashes with local CRL games and reckon they will be able to get all the grounds they need to run the comp.

That's about as much as I know. They are meeting with the CRL on Monday so maybe after that we will know more. They didn't go about this the right way, but fortunately the CRL have been forgiving enough to negotiate and this is probably the best outcome.

parra pete

Referee
Fair enough.....But how long before it becomes embroilled in controversy..
Still the boys are willing to play..just hope they (and their supporters) can abide by the rules..
Good luck.... Done properly and administered properly it will be a huge success..
But if anarchy rules...watch the sh*t hit the fan....

There is a better chance things will go smoothly under the CRL than if it had been an independent rebel league. The CRL will make them administer it properly as far as insurance, registrations, risk management, first aid etc. goes. But considering problems occur in relatively stable well-run Group competitions, like the problems at Lithgow for example, chances are there will be some issues, maybe even major ones. But that's why their on a 12-month contract, to make them abide by all the rules or face sanctions or loss of affiliation. And trust me, they want this even more then the CRL in many ways. They didn't want to run a rebel league. It's much easier to let the CRL do a lot of the work so they will be trying to stay in line.

Latest posts