What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New board gives Anderson and underperforming Eels its full backing

Stagger eel

Staff member
PARRAMATTA coach Daniel Anderson has been given the full backing of the new board swept to power in the club's elections and there are no plans for a cleanout of players in the struggling Eels team.
Anderson and his players received the assurances yesterday as a new era began at Parramatta after the 3P group gained 77 per cent of votes in the leagues club elections held over the weekend. The result also gives the rebels control of the NRL club, with five directors on the seven-person board, and has cast doubts over the future of chief executive Denis Fitzgerald, who last night revealed his services could be terminated without a full pay-out on the remaining two years of his contract.
Cronulla chief executive Tony Zappia, who was recruited to the Sharks from Parramatta, expressed interest in the job if Fitzgerald was sacked but said he had not been approached about a return to the club.
But aside from a possible new chief executive, there are unlikely to be any other noticeable changes at the Eels.
"We're not going in to put a broom through the joint," said John Chidiak, the only new director who is also on the Parramatta District Football Club board. "Daniel Anderson in my opinion is doing a good job and I've worked with Daniel Anderson in the past when he was coaching under Brian Smith. I know he knows his business and at the end of the day there is no question about his ability to coach."
Chairman-elect Roy Spagnolo, who manages Eels players Eric Grothe jnr and Fuifui Moimoi, said: "Daniel Anderson is working hard to try and recapture the winning spirit. We've had a couple of bad weeks and I don't know if all of this off-field stuff affects them or not, but certainly now that will be over and once the newly elected board gets the opportunity to meet the players we will make sure they understand that we are behind them."
While Eels greats Ray Price, Eric Grothe snr and Brett Kenny were the public faces of the 3P campaign to unseat the incumbent board, the group is now reconsidering plans to install them to the NRL club board by transferring control from the leagues club to the district football club, of which they are directors.
To do so would involve calling a special general meeting of Parramatta Leagues Club's 22,000 members and obtaining 75 per cent of votes for a change to the club's constitution, which also requires three of the leagues club directors to be on the board of the football club.
As a result, Ron Hilditch and Geoff Gerard will remain on the leagues club board although they did not poll in the top seven.
"The legends that are currently on the board of the district football club have always been of the opinion that they don't want a common board between the football club, leagues club and the NRL club," Chidiak said. "We're doing what is best for the interests of the club and its members - no egos and no agendas."
However, the new board is likely to separate Fitzgerald's roles as chief executive of the leagues club and football club.
Fitzgerald told Channel Seven: "There is a clause in the contract to say the club can terminate my services any time on the payment of 12 months, not two years. So if they wanted to do that there is no argument."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...ts-full-backing/2009/04/27/1240684400325.html

it's been nice knowing you DA :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
TONY Zappia has been endorsed as Parramatta's next CEO, with Eels chairman-elect Roy Spagnolo revealing the Sharks boss is on his hit list.
Now in charge of Cronulla, Zappia cut his teeth in football administration at Parramatta for more than a decade and was tipped to return in the event of an Eels boardroom coup.
The ballot bloodbath that overthrew the sitting directors has left Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzgerald's future virtually untenable, given the new board is controlled by his political enemies. Fitzgerald has publicly vowed not to stand down, but he will have little choice should the new directors establish his involvement in the Chinese "vouchers for votes" scandal once they officially take power next Tuesday.
Zappia - close to several of the new directors - has emerged as the obvious choice to succeed Fitzgerald.
Eels: Denis on ice as Roy skates around his future
Eels: Parramatta political woes worry players
"Tony Zappia did a good job at the club as football manager," Spagnolo said. "He seems to be doing a good job at Cronulla and he's highly regarded.
"I think at the end of the day, if he applied for the position and it was vacant we'd have a close look at him."
Spagnolo revealed Zappia has already been approached by Manly and Wests Tigers. Cronulla also don't have a contract tying him to the Shire.
"I want to stress there's been no approach but in this tight financial environment you can't rule anything out," Zappia said. "If the opportunity becomes available I'll look at it, but I'm very happy at Cronulla for now."
Source: The Daily Telegraph

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25397215-5001023,00.html

mickdo

Coach
They keep calling Roy the Chairman-elect, but it won't happen unless the constitution is changed, and that can't happen until after the AGM anyway, if at all. Chidiac will be Chairman.

Eelementary

Post Whore
TONY Zappia has been endorsed as Parramatta's next CEO, with Eels chairman-elect Roy Spagnolo revealing the Sharks boss is on his hit list.
Now in charge of Cronulla, Zappia cut his teeth in football administration at Parramatta for more than a decade and was tipped to return in the event of an Eels boardroom coup.
The ballot bloodbath that overthrew the sitting directors has left Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzgerald's future virtually untenable, given the new board is controlled by his political enemies. Fitzgerald has publicly vowed not to stand down, but he will have little choice should the new directors establish his involvement in the Chinese "vouchers for votes" scandal once they officially take power next Tuesday.
Zappia - close to several of the new directors - has emerged as the obvious choice to succeed Fitzgerald.
Eels: Denis on ice as Roy skates around his future
Eels: Parramatta political woes worry players
"Tony Zappia did a good job at the club as football manager," Spagnolo said. "He seems to be doing a good job at Cronulla and he's highly regarded.
"I think at the end of the day, if he applied for the position and it was vacant we'd have a close look at him."
Spagnolo revealed Zappia has already been approached by Manly and Wests Tigers. Cronulla also don't have a contract tying him to the Shire.
"I want to stress there's been no approach but in this tight financial environment you can't rule anything out," Zappia said. "If the opportunity becomes available I'll look at it, but I'm very happy at Cronulla for now."
Source: The Daily Telegraph

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25397215-5001023,00.html

Good move, you reckon?

Gronk

Staff member
Tony Zappia is/was at Marconi Club. He gets lots of attention in this article

One of the biggest gaming venues in NSW is being investigated over a secret land sale, claims of hush money disguised as a golden handshake and various allegations of club officials misusing their positions for personal gain.

Club Marconi, which has 363 poker machines and makes 80 per cent of its revenue from gaming, is the subject of a long-running, covert investigation by Liquor and Gaming NSW that initially centred on a fraudulent invoice authorised by the former CEO, and the proposed sale of 30,000 square metres of club-owned land at Narellan, in Sydney’s south-west, for $16 million.

——8<———

But the club has confirmed in private correspondence the regulator began its inquiries in October 2021, months after the Herald revealed its former chief executive Tony Zappia had authorised a fraudulent invoice to the club for $13,750 by a truck-leasing company in which he owned shares, for work that was not done.
Other shareholders included the then president, fireworks manufacturer Vince Fotiand several members of his family.
Foti previously told the Herald he was under no obligation to disclose to the club’s board he owned those shares.

Zappia and Foti said the purpose of the invoice was to pay for Zappia’s shares in the truck-leasing company, and the money was to be deducted from a debt that the club owed Zappia. The club made the payment but when questions were raised about the invoice, the club recovered the money.
Zappia resigned from the club after other directors caught wind of the invoice, and he left with a $300,000 payout, which included four months’ salary and all his entitlements, and a glowing reference from Foti. The regulator has been told the payment was hush money to prevent Zappia from discussing his employment. Zappia has denied this.

Latest posts