What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Coach possibilities - Discussion Thread

sydraider

First Grade
Sticky would be my preferred coach but being realistic, I dont think he will come back anytime soon.

Some mentioned would be good, I wouldnt mind having a Brian Smith or a John Lang here. Still I feel they are unrealistic.

The most probable scenario would be Dave Furner taking over.

Myself personally, would like to see Snoopy Collins take over the reigns, IMO he has done his apprenticeship and not a bad job either with the reggies. I think he would be up to the task at NRL level.

cooba

Juniors
Dont lets bullsh*t Matty babe, family, blah , blah, blah - Penrith have been chattin to u for a while behind Langies back. The reason u r going is the allmighty dollar,take it and run mate, but dont hang around this season.

raidersfan

Juniors
:S I desperately want to sign either

Stuart
Smith
Lang

none of this over crap about furner or walters yucko

If we had either Stuart, Smith, or Lang we might be able to finally attract better players. Stuart is the Australian coach ffs!

aussies1st

Staff member
raidersfan said:
:S I desperately want to sign either

Stuart
Smith
Lang

none of this over crap about furner or walters yucko

If we had either Stuart, Smith, or Lang we might be able to finally attract better players. Stuart is the Australian coach ffs!

I'm feel the same way. One of those 3 coaches will do me. Stuart would be perfect cause he is an ex raider.

nickraider

Juniors
Why not Furner?!! He's gotta start somewhere. Throw him in at the deep end and see what happens. Certainly don't want Brian 'Mr.Conservative' Smith!!!

schnitzel

Juniors
We are in the first stages of the re-invention of the green machine, I can feel it. Since Super league things have been going backwards, but if management have half a clue they will throw mega $$$$ at Ricky Stuart and get us going in the right direction. The lure of playing under the Aussie coach will get the pick of the crop to Canberra to combine with our young talent and we can become a premiership force once more!!!!

Macko8

Juniors
schnitzel said:
We are in the first stages of the re-invention of the green machine, I can feel it. Since Super league things have been going backwards, but if management have half a clue they will throw mega $$$$ at Ricky Stuart and get us going in the right direction. The lure of playing under the Aussie coach will get the pick of the crop to Canberra to combine with our young talent and we can become a premiership force once more!!!!

100% correct.

dubby

Bench
schnitzel said:

Dude i can't share your optimisim. I can't say that i am confident that we will sign a "name" coach.
Look at our history since Sheens left: Mal, Elliot, now more than likely Furner.
I wish, I wish for Ricky. I PRAY for Ricky. Hell, even J LAng or B Smith (more ex-Parra stocks;why not).

I can't say i believe management will sign anyone on the market with experience. Why? I believe they will go cheap and sign in-house (Furner/Snoopy), and deep down they lack the courage to ask one of these high profile coaches because they fear rejection.

Please God, give us Ricky back!

thickos

First Grade
Ricky Stuart would be the dream choice, no doubt. However he left the club on bad terms, Don Jr is a mate of his but I think he would have a tough time convincing him to come home.

i'd prefer a coach with experience to take over in 2007, I think Dave Furner needs more time in PL coaching ranks.

Roy Rover

Juniors
I think we'll just have to take whoever we can get.
In Kevin Walters favour at least he wants to come here (but I get the impression he just wants a job and is prepared to go anywhere).

always a raider

Juniors
I can't see how everyone is saying Ricky. It's more like Freddy. I have not been sold yet on his coaching abilty. Look what the 2005 Roosters outfit acheived. Walters is a backward step. Furner is a massive gamble. We need an experienced coach such as Smith or Anderson that we know can get the job done and bring out the best in our up and comers.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Being impartial to the whole thing, I think you guys really need to get Brian Smith (even if he's got a thing about not winning comps, he does really know how to identify talent and bring it along) or Chris Anderson who similar to Brian Smith knows what it takes to get a club moving up the ladder, though you would have to watch more forward oriented play with Chris Anderson (similar to what you have now, but better utilised). I wouldn't worry about him being leaving the club on bad terms, that seems to kick in on the 3rd year of his coaching, and also his sons have left the seen so you won't have to see any of them playing for you anytime soon.

John Lang could be a wildcard, but I'm not sure what he would bring to your club, he really didn't buy anyone other than preston campbell but somehow got the best of what the Panthers already had, and he did similar things with the sharks (but the culture of the club stop him actually winning anything)

The only thing you guys don't want to do is leave it to late, you need to get someone on board ASAP so players know who is coaching the club in 2007 so that players who are attracted to that setup will come along (I think a major problem with Elliot at the helm, I don't think players really were keen to play under him, well those coming from other clubs anyhow, just look at all those major signings under him:roll:)

aussies1st

Staff member
Currently we have 4 canadites for the job with the only big name one being Chris Anderson. The other 3 are Walters, Peter Sharp and Terry Matterson.

jed

First Grade
aussies1st said:
Currently we have 4 canadites for the job with the only big name one being Chris Anderson. The other 3 are Walters, Peter Sharp and Terry Matterson.
You're leaving Furner out of the running?

aussies1st

Staff member
That was what the news article said. I read somewhere else that Terry Matterson wasn't available so I guess Furner is the 4th one.

thickos

First Grade
You wouldn't think Terry Matterson would come straight back home after just leaving for Castleford at the end of last season. Then again, stranger things have happened...

schnitzel

Juniors
Apparently Matterson applied for the Newy Job so he must have an out-clause with Castleford. He knows our set up and management well so he could be a favourite...

dubby

Bench
aussies1st said:

Whats your source in this dude?

nickraider

Juniors
'The Courier Mail' in Brisbane is reporting Matterson as the favourite. Kevvie Walters is also quoted as being a likely candidate for the job.

Latest posts