What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Major sponsor - 3 years - CFMEU

Found this from rleague:

Press Release - Canberra Raiders
RAIDERS REVEAL NEW PARTNERSHIP
by (Press Release)

The Canberra Raiders will announce a new Major sponsor today, which will see them secure their future within the nation's capital for the following three years.

With 2006 being the Raiders 25th anniversary, the Raiders are celebrating today by announcing a new partnership with one of the regions biggest community supporters.

The Raiders have been an institution within the Canberra and Queanbeyan communities since 1982, and today's announcement will further that relationship within the ACT and surrounding areas.

ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope will be on hand to speak on behalf of the ACT Government, not only as Chief Minister but also as a Raiders supporter.

Raiders Chairman John McIntyre, general manager Don Furner and current Captain Clinton Schifcofske will also be attending, with all available for comment following the launch.

Schifcofske will also be joined by the current Raiders first grade squad and Coaching staff.

The Raiders invite all those attending to remain after the announcement for a BBQ and refreshments, prepared by some of the Raiders players.

---------

Sorry to be an ignorant Sydneysider, but what's CFMEU?

dubby

Bench
:D :D

Who the hell are CFMEU?????

I wonder if its a lucrative deal, better than FOne ZOne??

THis is the best news i've heard from the ACT in a long time...

*awaits naming of a star player*

Boing Boing

Juniors
CFMEU is a forestry and mining union, based in the ACT. This is exactly the type of Company we need to back a small town team like the Raiders, as they are not nearly as reliant on FTA coverage etc as a company like Fone Zone. Most of CFMEU's income comes from members' wages, If I'm not mistaken.

Panjabi

Juniors
The CFMEU currently sponsors the Canberra Region Junior Rugby League and the Raiders Junior representative program (SG Ball, Harold Matthews), so this is the natural logical progression.

Paullyboy

Coach
Awesome stuff

2006_raid.jpg

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah obviously it is, just getting an idea of what to expect.

Hopefully they'd make the white transparent. Never know though.

thickos

First Grade
Happy with the money coming into the club but this is far too political an appointment. I don't want the Raiders to be sponsored by a trade union to be perfectly honest.

Looks like I'll be stocking up on Fone Zone-badged merchandise....

hrundi99

First Grade
Yeah I'm not a great fan of the more strident union movement...

I'm not sure where they sit in the spectrum though.

Why would a union sponsor an NRL club though? I'd love to see the proposal...

Paullyboy

Coach
They were my thoughts as well Hrundi.

In that photo with the logo (wish those kids would move their damn arms so we could see it properly) does anyone reckon the kid on the left looks like a young McLinden?

Boing Boing

Juniors
thickos said:
Happy with the money coming into the club but this is far too political an appointment. I don't want the Raiders to be sponsored by a trade union to be perfectly honest.

Looks like I'll be stocking up on Fone Zone-badged merchandise....

Does it really matter? There is money coming into the club now where a more commercial company would never venture.

Paullyboy

Coach
Some people, particularly uni students, get quite political as soon as any union is mentioned Boing. Im guessing thats what we have here.

I on the other hand couldnt care less if Hitler sponsored us.

hrundi99

First Grade
I didn't get a call from Mr Furner, but it perhaps puts his comments in perspective.

He was emphasising the problems with business in the local community, just in time for the (local) CFMEU to ride in like knights in shining armour.

If that's the case then well played I guess.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
Some people, particularly uni students, get quite political as soon as any union is mentioned Boing. Im guessing thats what we have here.

I on the other hand couldnt care less if Hitler sponsored us.

Yeah, me neither. I don't see whatb the big deal is but each to their own, I guess.

hrundi99

First Grade
Well I am fairly anti-union so it will be strange walking around in a piece of clothing emblazoned with a union's logo from a political perspective. It will almost feel as dirty as me wearing Roosters merchandise for 3 months at the start of the year.

Ultimately though, I'm happy for the club.

thickos

First Grade
Yes the money is fantastic, but I see it as a move that can potentially alienate a component of the Raiders supporter base, as well as the CFMEU membership.

Does EVERY member of the CFMEU want to see part of their dues go towards the Canberra Raiders?

Do Raiders fans who don't bat that way politically want to see CFMEU emblazoned across the front of their club's jerseys?

It would be silly of me to say sport and politics have never mixed in the past but to be honest I'd prefer a 'faceless corporation' sponsor the Raiders rather than a trade union.

Then again we have more important issues at hand. Mountains and molehills so to speak.

At the end of the day we are getting $$$$ into the club which is what we need.

Anyway its not like we were in the position to chose from a list which sponsor we wanted..