What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Major sponsor - 3 years - CFMEU

Bay56

First Grade
he's a Union breaker Copa ... what's so hard to understand :lol:

Seriously I'm in two minds about this one but the bottom line is that we have a major sponsor .... the alternative is not on.

Under the new AWPA Legislation these guys are pretty well dead ducks anyway arent they ?? ... boyo we really know how to find them huh :lol:

Copa

Bench
Why do some people not like Unions?

I wouldn't care if the Liberal party sponsored us if they put up the cash or the Labor party also... hell... if the Natural law party hadthe cash and will.. bring them on.

They're all legal entities.

Jeffles

Bench
In the UK, trade unions have sponsored RL teams for a while now. GMB is the main supporter. It shouldn't come as a surprise. Trade unions are experiencing dwindling memberships and need to "market" themselves as a viable option for the workforce. Getting your name out there as a supporter of the local sports team is one such way (since other ways of getting out there are slowly becoming illegal).

One sector where Union membership remains strong is the public sector. Canberra therefore seems quite an apt club to link up with a trade union.

What is a problem is the way the CFMEU engaged with Souths. They tried to run the show and their muscle was aligned with certain factions among the club. Hopefully the Raiders keep the relationship strictly professional.

greeneyed

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
Awesome stuff

2006_raid.jpg

I've seen the jersey and the logo is much smaller than that.

On the substance, I won't buy or wear anything with the CFMEU logo on it.

The CFMEU has an awful public image and they are trying to change that image by riding on the Raiders good public image.

I am not anti-union but I am very unhappy with this particular union being associated with our club, given its very poor reputation.

In addition, the association with the CFMEU is going to make attracting other corporate support extremely difficult indeed.

edabomb

First Grade
I don't like the idea of a union supporting the side. I was with NZ's biggest union last year, and I just don't understand why a union would support a footy club. I'd be very unhappy if I was a member of the CFMEU.

Then again it is a sponsor, although I would of liked to see us hold out a while longer to try and get corporate sponsorship.

thickos

First Grade
I've said my piece, I'm very unhappy with this appointment but happy with the flow of cash from a major sponsor. I just don't think trade unions should be the sponsor of a professional sport side.

Paullyboy

Coach
greeneyed said:
I've seen the jersey and the logo is much smaller than that.

Yeah, Obviously - I wasnt expecting everyone to take that so seriously. I merely cut and paste the first logo I could find onto a Raiders jersey to see how the colours would work and thought Id put it on here to show you guys.

Ill refrain from anything similar in the future.

paulquinn49

Bench
What a crap logo that union has, we should email the site with new exciting ideas for logo's, that way it will better fit the Raiders jersey aswell.

Seems it's a mining company, what about Todd Russell and Brant Webb, Raiders would be on channel 9 non stop.

Having Larry Knight on there would be a bid morbid though...

Opinions?

thickos

First Grade
Don't knock Paullyboy's photoshop skills, the Raiders have come up with the exact same shocker of a design...

488667_ThumbNail400.jpg

Raider Azz

Bench
id say that the logo was also just sewed on last minute for the presentation. you'd assume they'd do something much better when they actually get the manufacturer to take care of the jerseys.

thickos

First Grade
The CFMEU has a sh*t logo to begin with, so unless they just print the initials on the jersey I dunno what we're gonna be left with...

azza

Juniors
Yeah, what's with that? It's like they had a competition amongst pre-schoolers to come up with a logo - and chose the worst of the lot. As Krusty would say...I could pull a better logo out my aar,,,, hey kids! Wasn't that a great cartoon?

edabomb

First Grade
Well they will need the white background on the logo, because the green on the logo is so similar to the green on the jersey.