What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Major sponsor - 3 years - CFMEU

Boing Boing

Juniors
It seems that this would be one of the only true sponsorship possibilities given the corporate situation in Canberra. Can the anti-unionists see that the union already sponsors Raiders juniors? That has to be a plus.

Roy Rover

Juniors
I think it's awesome.
League is the working mans game after all.
I think fans should just be glad that someone's prepared to give our team some money.
Did I as a long standing Optus customer have a problem with my team being supported by the Telstra backed Fone Zone? Of course not.
Besides most Liberal party lovin', anti-unionists are Brumbies fans anyway!

hrundi99

First Grade
Roy Rover said:
I think it's awesome.
League is the working mans game after all.
I think fans should just be glad that someone's prepared to give our team some money.

Well we all are, so your point is redundant.

Did I as a long standing Optus customer have a problem with my team being supported by the Telstra backed Fone Zone? Of course not.

It's not an adequate comparison.

If you were anti-abortion, would you like the club to be sponsored by an abortion clinic?

Ok, maybe that's a bit over the top.

Besides most Liberal party lovin', anti-unionists are Brumbies fans anyway!

I'm not Liberal party lovin' per se but I'm anti-union in both senses of the phrase.

thickos

First Grade
As I've said before, I'm happy with $$$ coming into the club. At the end of the day what's written on the front of the jersey is largely irrelevant... I think the point hrundi and I are making is that people are usually less passionate about their choice of telco provider compared to their brand of politics.

Timbo

Staff member
I agree with you, thickos.

I'm glad for the dosh that it brings in, and I see the benifit of it as a sponsor for a small-town team, but I do wonder the ramifications of having such a political orginisation as our major backer.

dubby

Bench
Fitting isn't it? A political town sponsered by a political organisation.

Next we'll have Peter Harvey doing the ground announcing and Jim Whaley leading the boys out....

thickos

First Grade
CFMEU Raiders in 2007
June 19, 2006

The Canberra Raiders have announced the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union as their new Major Sponsor for 2007 today, in a partnership that will extend to the end of the 2009 season.

The CFMEU has long been a supporter of the Canberra Raiders and the ACT community, through their sponsorship of the Raiders lower grades and through their various charitable organisations.

ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope made the official announcement today at the appropriate venue of the section 84 building site in Canberra City, in front of around 200 construction workers, CFMEU officials and Canberra Raiders staff and players.

A keen Raiders supporter, Mr Stanhope said he was delighted to see the CFMEU get on board and support one of Canberra’s true sporting institutions, and he wished both the Raiders and the CFMEU all the best for their new partnership.

Raiders chairman John McIntyre welcomed the CFMEU to the Raiders family, and said it was good to see the clubs future secured through what he described as a great and prosperous partnership.

“The Raiders have long been a part of the Canberra community, and it’s great to continue that tradition with the help of the CFMEU,” Mr McIntyre said. “The Raiders are truly grateful to be associated with the CFMEU and we hope it is a lasting partnership.”

Secretary of the ACT branch of the CFMEU and Tradies club George Wason said it was an exciting time for his organistation, and he looked forward to future success through the CFMEU Raiders.

“We are very proud and thrilled to be a part of a great organisation such as the Raiders,” Mr Wason said. “The CFMEU has long been a part of helping the community, and we are now privileged to be a supporter of that community’s number one team.”

Raiders Captain Clinton Schifcofske said it’s a comforting factor the players involved with the club to know their future is secure through such a Major sponsorship, and he thanked the CFMEU for getting on board.

Schifcofske then presented Jason O’Mara from Construction Control with the new CFMEU Raiders jumper, and officially let the CFMEU Raiders flag fly above the section 84 construction site.

Green Machine

First Grade
CFMEU is a lot more cleaner than AWB or any company with contracts in Iraq or company with a detention centre contract with the federal government or an oil company or companies like Spotlight who force their employees to sign AWA’s.
CFMEU helped Newcastle with the Coal & Allied sponsorship. Anyone who thinks sport and politics doesn’t mix should have a reality check. I’ve got no problems with the CFMEU sponsoring the Raiders. I’m sure Fred Daly would be happy.

hrundi99

First Grade
Green Machine said:
CFMEU is a lot more cleaner than AWB or any company with contracts in Iraq or company with a detention centre contract with the federal government or an oil company or companies like Spotlight who force their employees to sign AWA’s.

That kind of reeks of 1st year uni student to me...

How would you know whether they're "more cleaner" or not...?

Mal Meninga

Bench
Paullyboy said:
Awesome stuff

2006_raid.jpg
Do you give photoshop lessons Paully?

Raider Ultra

Bench
Good on the CFMEU. Continues theur strong association with local sport, first with sponsoring the Raider juniors, the Capital Football Academy and now securing the major Raiders sponsorship.

Copa

Bench
I don't care if the money came from the Shell oil company or from the warfies...

It's all money!

Evergreen

Juniors
Top stuff. Any major sponsor is a great major sponsor. Besides, further to what dubby was saying, its kinda neat to have a team from the ACT with a 'political' sponsor.

Despite my distaste at D.Furner Jr's remarks last week, his claims on lack of corporate backing here in Canberra are correct, so I will pass on my congrats for securing a highly appropriate sponsor given the ACT economic landscape.