What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Merger For the Jets

mono_mal

Juniors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NSWRL Board also agreed in principle today to allow Newtown and the Sharks to participate in the NSW Premier League as a joint entity.

The move follows the success of the St Mary’s team fielded as Penrith’s Premier League representative.

“There are some procedures the clubs have to agree to but the decision paves the way for Newtown and Cronulla to field a joint Premier League side,” NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr said today.

“Newtown has grown the number of teams in its area from seven to 24 and this move allows the club to maintain it’s investment across the junior levels while still being competitive in the state’s strongest competition outside of NRL.

“The NSWRL competitions are performing extremely strongly at the moment, so much so that the Board today has retained all competition structures for 2005.

“The state’s junior representative teams have dominated interstate contests but more importantly are producing real opportunities and pathways for talented sportsmen.”
------------------------------------------------------
The above is an extract from an article on the NRL website.

TigerJet

Juniors
As long as we keep our name and Logo and Jersey i have no problem with the deal. Good to see an NRL club finally recognise the efforts of Col Murphy and his coaching staffand what they can bring in developing players to NRL standard. :clap:

Situation! Will this mean that the Jets might be sponsored by LG as well and be on the front of the jersey, where will this leave Sydney Airports? :?:

Bluebag

Juniors
Newtown will play at Henson Park, wearing the royal blue and will be known as the Newtown Jets, there may be the very odd game played at Shark park but Henson is our home.

Right???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jets are set to merge with an NRL Side next year..

To which I responded:

No way, no how.

We might become someone's official Premier League, but a merger? Never.

Then you said:
I tihnk it is a merger actually.. Not sure

And spent the rest of the thread back-pedalling.

The royal blue will NEVER merge or die. Not while there's breath in my (and many other Bluebags') body.

You johnny-come-latelys ;-) from the Dragons wouldn't understand the sacred trust we hold of being the first club.

We'll NEVER become a sock (or whatever).

Regards,
TDT-1

Jeffles

Bench
Who the heck called this a joint entity. No wonder so many people have their wires crossed. It's a feeder club agreement.

Rexxy

Coach
Sounds like you might have doughnuts in your ears. Or am I smelling "bacon?"

I hate to see people soft peddle something that should require a full vote of members and full and open frank debate. All Ive seen and heard is a whole lot of spin and platitudes.

Newtown have had to pay a huge dollar price to buy a loss making part of Cronulla's business.

I hope the Bag's board face its members and say what they will achieve out of this.

Newtown is getting only a little bit more than Mounties members get from their Parra Sleeve sponsorship. But for twice the price.

As for "merger", JV and strategic partnerships, all those words are meaningless when you start to dillute the fabric of your jumper.

Just my opinion.

Dragon21

Juniors
It will be Newtown Jets Premier League Team and Newtown Jets JBC team.
Players from Sharks NRL side, will drop down to NEwtown to play PL.. around 6-8 player seach week.

Home games will be divided between Shark Park and Hensen

As it seems no-one else will say it, I will.

Rex, you're a tool.

Let me get this straight. The last time we did anything similar (Warriors, 2000) the result was almost making the finals and having a hand in the development of players that made the grand final a few years later and represented their country even sooner.

Newtown have had to pay a huge dollar price to buy a loss making part of Cronulla's business.

Ahem - what's all this gibberish about a "dollar price"?

Do tell what you know if you have any evidence the Jets paid ANYTHING for this. I know for a fact we don't have the dough to spend, so I'd love to know what you think we're paying.

Bottom line is that in past seasons we have spent a small fraction of what the Sharks pay for their PL and get beat by them at most by a few points.

It's just smart business. You have classy players under contract and can't get the best out of them. We, on the other hand, can't offer the big contracts or the possibility of direct NRL promotion, but get quite a lot out of our players for the money we spend. Most of our guys are on match payments only, yet they often play well above their ability.

Newtown is getting only a little bit more than Mounties members get from their Parra Sleeve sponsorship. But for twice the price.

Wha? "Twice the price"? Pray tell, what's the price, eh?

As Dragon21 says - 6-8 Sharks players a week will have the honour of wearing the Royal Blue and getting some grit. That's it.

We're playing the guys you couldn't beat in 73 and 78 this Saturday at Henson. Come watch and learn a bit about gutsy football.

Regards,
TDT-1

2 True Blues

Coach
Good to see an NRL club finally recognise the efforts of Col Murphy and his coaching staffand
Will Col be head coach of the team next season if this does take place. ?
Who currently coaches the Sharks side ?

It sounds alright if there is to be one side. If there is two I hope they don't treat us like Souths did. Take everything and give nothing.

I would hate to see one of Newtowns players go up to 1st grade for a game or two, then get dropped, but go into the cronulla Premier side and end up playing against us in the same season. ( Russell RICHARDSON 2003 SOUTH SYDNEY ).

There would have to rules set up regarding our signings ETC.

2 True Blues

Coach
Good to see an NRL club finally recognise the efforts of Col Murphy and his coaching staffand
Will Col be head coach of the team next season if this does take place. ?
Who currently coaches the Sharks side ?

It sounds alright if there is to be one side. If there is two I hope they don't treat us like Souths did. Take everything and give nothing.

I would hate to see one of Newtowns players go up to 1st grade for a game or two, then get dropped, but go into the cronulla Premier side and end up playing against us in the same season. ( Russell RICHARDSON 2003 SOUTH SYDNEY ).

There would have to rules set up regarding our signings ETC.

Dragon21 said:
It will be Newtown Jets Premier League Team and Newtown Jets JBC team.
Players from Sharks NRL side, will drop down to Newtown to play PL.. around 6-8 player seach week.

Home games will be divided between Shark Park and Hensen

They should never be divided between Shark Park and Henson. They should all be at Henson.

Jeffles

Bench
For some team (Newcastle and Canberra) it makes sense that they want to play te Jets "home game" at Cronulla. This would minimize travel costs (one coach to Cronulla for their squad is easier than 2 coaches to two separate grounds). And I am biting my lip here (before Media Watch investigates) but I can't see the facilities at Henson Park attracting the away team.

Another thing, calling it a JV really irks me. It implies merger. Can we all call it a feeder agreement!