What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

The last lamb out of Dubbo is almost gone.
In 7 driving hours I’ll be parking in the gong
There ain’t nothing like the kisses of a cheated wooly princess, I’m going to hit the shearing shed mess all day long.

A clean up for the kids on Lu Today.

Kids, this is inappropriate, please go back to being your action man Benji Marshall on Grand Theft Auto -Camden Valley Way.

And please give dad his beer and smokes back.

Jim Dragons

Juniors
Because it's not about money, and the things they're asking for are only possible if they act collectively as a union. (Things like transparency about the administration's financial reporting - etc)

This NRL administration under Vlandys has f**ked up just about every negotiation it has entered. it warred with both the NSWRL and QRL, it bent over and got financially reamed by Nine and Foxtel, and they're duly f**king this up too
You say its not about money... but when you read the conditions and issues - most are tied to the RLPA wanting the slice of the pie divided up before the NRL cover for NEW requirements like insuring clubs for losing Rep Players; or supporting a new ventures like expanding the International game - where indeed a lot of the RLPA members will benefit directly with those payments. Record numbers financially for the FOX and Nine contracts and regaining control of scheduling back from Nine is hardly as f**ked up as you call it. I have said in many of these type of posts - that I want to know who it is that is looking after the interests for the game,. Because in most cases us as supporters started posting here and going to the games or watching and listening to the games because of the GAME... not for any one player (family excluded) but because of the sport. In most cases we chose a jersey and finally paid our hard earned because of the game. I date back to Chang and Billy Smith - thru Rocket; Stoney and Mark Coyne... Browny; Graeme Wynn all the way to Sullivan/Sloane/Amone and the next legends still to come thru. If anyone one of those legends moved on... I wished them but continued to support OUR team.
I never went to a game thinking I will put more money in the players pockets. I went to support the jersey and OUR club. I am not against the players getting a fair earn from the game. But thinking the game owes them because the game gave them an opportunity to be more than a labour at a building site is wrong. No player has a gun held to his head. The players of today have never had it better. I think thru Super League the players showed how quickly they will rape the game of its resources... at the expense of loyalty to a jersey or morals. I understand why. But as I said who is the ones who are looking after the game - because at the end of the day they are the ones I want to side with as a real fan.
And this add on that the players only have 43-45 games on average... and what is fair... ask any of those who were there or there-abouts... but didn't make the grade would they be happy to step in and take a bullet instead for a game or two. We all know the answer... and I bet they would do it without a Union to represent them.
The Storm are recognised as having something special in their DNA... Bellamy is legended to send all new players to building sites to work for weeks/month before they start to do NRL training with the club. The message is always clear... you can go back to the building site any time you want.
So instead of the game holding OUR game to blackmail/Union Action... how about they explain to someone that really looks them in the eye... why is it your entitled to not leave the game in a better state then it was was you found it.

Jim Dragons

Juniors
I actually think Flanagan will pull out all stops to make his comeback a success...hes a wily fox nothing like the previous numb nut...hes connected and respected... for Flanno its all about Flanno in the first year and he wont want an underwhelming first year...just look at the way he's shifting out all the shit quicksmart in our roster...theres more to come as well...I think Flanno is burning up the phones with some support from Dean Young after work ..Im certain he will be trotting out a different attitude team next year...wont be the same old ...
I don't care if he keeps all current players... as long as he DOESN'T say with are in the first year of a re-building phase AND the team he sends out there plays with purpose. We do have a team capable of winning.
I would love to hear that they are out there playing for a jersey and representing OUR fans. But let's face it those days are gone - so please just send out a team that don't bag OUR club; don't disrespect OUR brand and act with decent morals - that will keep me happy - ohhh and play like a TEAM.

Jim Dragons

Juniors
Sullivan is licking his lips at the massive overs he’s going to land to de-learn the game and turn into custard at Concord.

We are not sure why he’s not wanted at sgi? Any insights on the topic very welcome.
I heard Flanno was quoted as saying that Bud needs to work out if he wants to play for St George. So he has let him go out and see what he can get... BUT that St George would not be adding a cent to any deal... similar to the talk with Lomax. Flanno was quoted as saying he was hopeful that it would get similar results. Not sure if anyone else actually heard this as l am quoting third hand?

Last edited:

epDragon62

First Grade
I heard Flanno was quoted as saying that Bud needs to work put if he wants to play for St George. So he has let him go out and see what he can get... BUT that St George would not be adding a cent to any deal... similar to the talk with Lomax. Flanno was quoted as saying he was hopeful that it would get similar results. Not sure if anyone else actually heard this as l am quoting third hand?
Jim, can you fix the first sentence; is the word "put” meant to be hard?

I heard Flanno was quoted as saying that Bud needs to work put if he wants to play for St George. So he has let him go out and see what he can get... BUT that St George would not be adding a cent to any deal... similar to the talk with Lomax. Flanno was quoted as saying he was hopeful that it would get similar results. Not sure if anyone else actually heard this as l am quoting third hand?

Yes, intriguing quote and a fresh way of communicating expectations. Seems he wants to shake things up a bit.

If the situation is that players aren’t reaching optimum or playing consistently, you can’t blame him.

The other option is that you pat the players on the back which is a bit dishonest and doesn’t help.

I think he’s gone through a bit himself to expect a positive response. Comes from experience.

I’m warming up to him.

SnowDragon

Juniors

hadn‘t heard this. Hope it’s true.

I’m a big Bud supporter, and would have been so upset if Hook has let him leave. But I supported Flanno being hired and have to support his approach and give him a fair go. If the message to Bud is “we want you to stay, but you have to want to be here” then I’m ok with that. I want a team, a team willing to bleed for each other and the club, not a collection of players all out for themselves.

I want to believe Flanno can achieve this, or at least move in this direction.

SnowDragon

Juniors

hadn‘t heard this. Hope it’s true.

I’m a big Bud supporter, and would have been so upset if Hook has let him leave. But I supported Flanno being hired and have to support his approach and give him a fair go. If the message to Bud is “we want you to stay, but you have to want to be here” then I’m ok with that. I want a team, a team willing to bleed for each other and the club, not a collection of players all out for themselves.

I want to believe Flanno can achieve this, or at least move in this direction.

jak

Bench
You say its not about money... but when you read the conditions and issues - most are tied to the RLPA wanting the slice of the pie divided up before the NRL cover for NEW requirements like insuring clubs for losing Rep Players; or supporting a new ventures like expanding the International game - where indeed a lot of the RLPA members will benefit directly with those payments. Record numbers financially for the FOX and Nine contracts and regaining control of scheduling back from Nine is hardly as f**ked up as you call it. I have said in many of these type of posts - that I want to know who it is that is looking after the interests for the game,. Because in most cases us as supporters started posting here and going to the games or watching and listening to the games because of the GAME... not for any one player (family excluded) but because of the sport. In most cases we chose a jersey and finally paid our hard earned because of the game. I date back to Chang and Billy Smith - thru Rocket; Stoney and Mark Coyne... Browny; Graeme Wynn all the way to Sullivan/Sloane/Amone and the next legends still to come thru. If anyone one of those legends moved on... I wished them but continued to support OUR team.
I never went to a game thinking I will put more money in the players pockets. I went to support the jersey and OUR club. I am not against the players getting a fair earn from the game. But thinking the game owes them because the game gave them an opportunity to be more than a labour at a building site is wrong. No player has a gun held to his head. The players of today have never had it better. I think thru Super League the players showed how quickly they will rape the game of its resources... at the expense of loyalty to a jersey or morals. I understand why. But as I said who is the ones who are looking after the game - because at the end of the day they are the ones I want to side with as a real fan.
And this add on that the players only have 43-45 games on average... and what is fair... ask any of those who were there or there-abouts... but didn't make the grade would they be happy to step in and take a bullet instead for a game or two. We all know the answer... and I bet they would do it without a Union to represent them.
The Storm are recognised as having something special in their DNA... Bellamy is legended to send all new players to building sites to work for weeks/month before they start to do NRL training with the club. The message is always clear... you can go back to the building site any time you want.
So instead of the game holding OUR game to blackmail/Union Action... how about they explain to someone that really looks them in the eye... why is it your entitled to not leave the game in a better state then it was was you found it.
bloody great post mate, agree with you 100%

Victoire

Juniors
This is some boomer regressive thinking at its finest.

First up: it is a simple fact that Vlandy's f*ked the broadcast deals. Channel Nine cried poor during their negotiations so Vlandys folded and took a smaller deal - Nine then used those exact savings to land the broadcast rights to Super Rugby, a direct competitor of the NRL. Vlandy's helped his most direct competitor!
Vlandys then negotiated a 7 year extension of the Foxtel deal during the pandemic ffs, and freely admitted that he was doing Foxtel a favour to "ensure their viability". Again, something that helped a direct competitor, the AFL, who duly sealed broadcast deals $260 million per year richer than the NRL's, despite achieving ratings equal or inferior to the NRL's. Vlandys and Abdo were absolutely roasted.

No point diving into the rest of the regressive emotive stuff in your post about players "back in my day" blah blah blah. The fact is that the RLPA are not asking for a single penny more than they are currently receiving - all outlined here and if you're inclined to read it: https://www.rlpa.com.au/faqs-of-cba-dispute/

Imo throughout the process the NRL have acted in bad faith - including making premature false pronouncements that a deal was done - and the fact that they are refusing to allow an independent mediator to step in, despite this being a standard feature of industrial relations in every conceivable field of industry, is the most telling of all. Vlandys is obviously more accustomed to dealing with (and killing) horses that don't talk back

Lethal25

Juniors
This is some boomer regressive thinking at its finest.

First up: it is a simple fact that Vlandy's f*ked the broadcast deals. Channel Nine cried poor during their negotiations so Vlandys folded and took a smaller deal - Nine then used those exact savings to land the broadcast rights to Super Rugby, a direct competitor of the NRL. Vlandy's helped his most direct competitor!
Vlandys then negotiated a 7 year extension of the Foxtel deal during the pandemic ffs, and freely admitted that he was doing Foxtel a favour to "ensure their viability". Again, something that helped a direct competitor, the AFL, who duly sealed broadcast deals $260 million per year richer than the NRL's, despite achieving ratings equal or inferior to the NRL's. Vlandys and Abdo were absolutely roasted.

No point diving into the rest of the regressive emotive stuff in your post about players "back in my day" blah blah blah. The fact is that the RLPA are not asking for a single penny more than they are currently receiving - all outlined here and if you're inclined to read it: https://www.rlpa.com.au/faqs-of-cba-dispute/

Imo throughout the process the NRL have acted in bad faith - including making premature false pronouncements that a deal was done - and the fact that they are refusing to allow an independent mediator to step in, despite this being a standard feature of industrial relations in every conceivable field of industry, is the most telling of all. Vlandys is obviously more accustomed to dealing with (and killing) horses that don't talk back
I had heard somewhat differently to the NRL not allowing an independent mediator. One being that Abdo offered to step away from the negotiating table if Newton did the same and an independent mediator would be invited in. Is there evidence either way to suggest one or both parties are faultless here?

I’ve got a sympathy for the players too.

The things that worry me is the significant difference in salaries (for essentially the same time commitment) and also the horrendous injury toll.

It’s good to see elite marquee caring for the lessor players. Warms the heart.

Victoire

Juniors
I had heard somewhat differently to the NRL not allowing an independent mediator. One being that Abdo offered to step away from the negotiating table if Newton did the same and an independent mediator would be invited in. Is there evidence either way to suggest one or both parties are faultless here?
As recently as 4 days ago Vlandys called the idea of an independent mediator "extremely counter productive and inefficient" LINK
If your rumour was true, you'd think he'd be shouting it from the rooftops to embarrass the RLPA, instead of flatly refusing mediation and continuing to embarrass himself

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
As recently as 4 days ago Vlandys called the idea of an independent mediator "extremely counter productive and inefficient" LINK
If your rumour was true, you'd think he'd be shouting it from the rooftops to embarrass the RLPA, instead of flatly refusing mediation and continuing to embarrass himself
It was reported on NRL360 last week (OK, so not reliable) that V'Landys had offered for Abdo to step away from the negotiations if Newton did the same. Apparently Newton had offered to step away when interviewed earlier on radio but was now refusing to do so. I have no idea where the main fault lies, but the whole process has been going on for 20 months and really needs to be sorted out ASAP. The current situation is not doing anyone any good.

Vlandys has a strong man persona and all that, but the rlpa are courageously upping the ante.

If they actually go on strike, just one round is going to cost the sport tens of millions of dollars.

People forget the average player, after all expenses and stuff, he’s not on big money and many of them have forever injuries of some kind.

Their family and friends make big sacrifices, volunteers and things. The league is nothing without thousands of people putting it on their shoulders.

Does the nrl want another supaleague?

twinkletoes

Juniors
Vlandys has a strong man persona and all that, but the rlpa are courageously upping the ante.

If they actually go on strike, just one round is going to cost the sport tens of millions of dollars.

People forget the average player, after all expenses and stuff, he’s not on big money and many of them have forever injuries of some kind.

Their family and friends make big sacrifices, volunteers and things. The league is nothing without thousands of people putting it on their shoulders.

Does the nrl want another supaleague?
Mate...these players know all this before they start playing..if it wasn't for becoming footballers I suspect half of them would end up in the slammer

Latest posts