What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

saintmar

Juniors
I think people need to be prepared that in 2023 Hook will be coach, Hunt will be 7, McCullough will be 9, Sullivan will get limited time off the bench and there will be no new signings of any note. We'll essentially be fielding the weakest forward pack in the comp with an ageing halfback and some frustrated but talented young backs who will no doubt be linked with multiple other clubs.
Very Very SAD but unfortunately TRUE
I hope they prove us wrong

Gareth67

First Grade
I recall Brian Smith saying many years ago ( after being offered the coaching job ) that there is no way he would return to the club , as it had the same smell about it as did both Newtown and North Sydney before they both got the chop .

Well he certainly knew what he was talking about , as our Board are the most dysfunctional and backward that there is in the NRL .

This club is the last resort hotel for players whose careers have all but expired . Yet they are selected week after week in the top grade while our younger fellas who at the very least show potential are left scratching their heads wondering just what in the hell they are doing at the Dragons .

Last edited:

jak

Bench
I recall Brian Smith saying many years ago ( after being offered the coaching job ) that there is no way he would return to the club , as it had the same smell about it as did both Newtown and North Sydney before they both got the chop .

Well he certainly knew what he was talking about , as our Board are the most dysfunctional and backward that there is in the NRL .

This club is the last resort hotel for players whose careers have all but expired . Yet they are selected week after week in the top grade while our younger fellas who at the very least show potential are left scratching their heads wondering just what in the hell they are doing at the Dragons .
i think you will find it is the same board as we have now.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Yeh Gareth, but if I remember correctly it was said during the Super League days/climate, yet despite his opinion we still made to the Grand Final the next year after he said it…..we may do it again…?

what's the obsession with D.Fifita ? Do you really think these coaches and players can turn his form around ?
Someone has to. Like some players in some sports pay em big money and they become lazy and blaze. I reckon that may have happened to David Fifita. I still recall how he destroyed the Kiwis in a two game Junior Kangaroo series. He was unstoppable, smashing the line, offloading, generally causing the Kiwis merry hell. There has to be a coach that can revive the hunger and mindset the big fellar had when he was emerging in the game. I say lets take a punt on him.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
He did and he's killing it apparently. Bit of a chump but good on the Duffman, the english game was made for him
Always was his fall back position wasn't it , but unlike some others who revived their NRL career from there I think Duff should plan to play out his career over there because the deficiencies in his game will prohibit a return. Good luck to him though as he can look forward to filling his bank account by 3 mill plus by the time his career ends . Get the impression that playing the English game is more fun for the players and better to watch for the fans as well.

Yow

Juniors

Don’t forget we beat a Brian Smith coached side in 2010

Hard Yards

Juniors
Yeh Gareth, but if I remember correctly it was said during the Super League days/climate, yet despite his opinion we still made to the Grand Final the next year after he said it…..we may do it again…?
Brian Smith's comments were made following his early deparure from the club in '95, whilst he was coaching Bradford in the UK the next year. The circumstances of his departure followed the planned and impending merger with Easts, with Gould to be appointed head coach. Smith had little choice but to move on, the saints CEO Geoff Carr who lead merger discussions on behalf of the club with Politis, would later be terminated by the dragons board following abandonment of the merger, supporter backlash was incredibly strong. Super league then placed further pressure on the club, as News Ltd. set about splitting the game, with Rod Ready who was meant to be the coach for '96 joining the Adelaide rams at the very last minute. It was seen as the lowest point for the club ever, yet we managed to make the 96 gf. Smith made his comments during this time, and was close to the mark. So whilst next year will be a test for Hook and co., it pales into insignifigance when copared to the chaotic period of 95/96. The club can and will see better days.

Gareth67

First Grade
Don’t forget we beat a Brian Smith coached side in 2010
Point/s taken gentlemen , the Dragons were able to do better on the field then perhaps he thought . However his reference was aimed at the board - which I believe still has the cobwebs of yesteryear all over it , but without the clear minded individuals who gave our fans so many great signings and premierships .

Mjab

Juniors
I here Sharron Woods has an older brother who we are looking to sign up ;)

There may well be a few limited bargains drop from the trees but not many and not many wanting to come here except on massive overs

we need a competent BOD
a decent coach that will attract good players cause they see a positive future (nothing like the present regime)
clean out some of the non performing rubbish that we regularly sign on as a bargain deal!!
and eventually we might get somewhere unfortunately I see nothing positive for 3-5 years
But hey I'm being too optimistic

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’m very pessimistic about next year, I think we’ll be bottom 4. We’ve lost Sims & McGuire & haven’t replaced them. Plus Ford, Faamausili & Gosiewski remain unsigned for 2023. We’re very weak in the forwards there are a lot of holes in the signed top 30.

Mjab

Juniors
I’m very pessimistic about next year, I think we’ll be bottom 4. We’ve lost Sims & McGuire & haven’t replaced them. Plus Ford, Faamausili & Gosiewski remain unsigned for 2023. We’re very weak in the forwards there are a lot of holes in the signed top 30.
sadly Ive been pessimistic since they extended Hooks contract
Faam and Gosie done nothing so bin them

I actually thought Ford looked OK last couple games despite no real opportunities

not sure who the plan to replace 5 or more forwards with so far if they dont sign these guys

Maybe we can bring Corry back to play 2nd row